Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GAH! Where's my will power?!?! page

msjamiejo is offline Junior Member

Angry GAH! Where's my will power?!?!

Primal Fuel
    I was doing fairly well the last two and a half weeks but I just can't seem to let go of carbs and sweets! They becon me and I cave every other day or so. Last Friday I pretty much failed the entire day and felt AWFUL! I was curled on the couch for a few hours because my stomach felt gross for so long. The hubs and I have decided to clean out the house of most of the bad foods but how do I get over the sweets and carbs? Is it better to taper off or just go cold turkey. Now I know it's 80/20 and some is ok but sometimes it's like a forcefield pulling me to eat crap! Any suggestions?

Jamie

Metismomma is offline Senior Member
    eat more fat? In fact check out Battys blueberry butter balls with bcoconut or the primal bars recipe. Those would help with your fat intake.
    Calm the f**k down.

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like you need to go cold turkey. Get all that stuff out of your house if you can. It might help to make a list of "acceptable" foods and stick to just those for 2 weeks. Tell yourself, I can make it 2 weeks, right?

Good luck. I know it can be tough.

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member
    I just went through the same thing myself. I had been doing pretty well for about 1.5 months but we had a weekend where the folks came in and bought us a ton of sweets. If they're not around (sweets) than I usually have no problems but once you start it's hard to stop. Just give it a little time and get back on the horse. An occasionally sweet is fine and besides it make sit more enjoyable if you only eat 1 sweet thing every now and then.

But going cold turkey is probably the best. If there is no temptation around than there are no worries.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Griff is offline Senior Member
    You have to ride out the cravings. It's a physical addiction you're kicking, no less difficult than heroin. Throw out anything that is grain-based, sugar-based, or legume-based (and all the non-solid dairy, too). The first few days or weeks are tough because your body is addicted and trying to get you back on the smack. Resist it.

I've found the best way to get past the low-carb flu is to go zero carb until the cravings disappear. It's a vicious little cycle - eat carbs, and they trigger cravings. Stop eating them and the cravings will taper off. Doing it zero-carb makes it go faster, although it really will be a rotten few days while it's happening.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I'd suggest <10g of carbs for at least 2 weeks. Keep yourself satiated with quality protein and fats. If you're still craving carbs, do 2 more weeks.

If you just keep going "off" like you do, you just feed the cravings. Forget 80/20 and think 100% during this process.

It's not a lack of will power that's causing your problem, it's a biochemical reaction that causes you to crave carbs the more you have them. Cold turkey is the best way to deal with this.

Mike Alzen is offline Senior Member
    +1 to getting everything out of the house and going cold turkey.

I've been doing it for 6 months, but if I have sweets in the house it's a struggle to avoid them. If they're not in the house, I don't even miss it.

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    mm. I'd have said taper but for you it sounds like cold turkey might be the way to go.

And really enjoy your other food - make a little extra effort for some really delicious primal meals so you don't feel deprived. When I'm tucking into a gorgeous baked chicken leg or a beautiful piece of steak with mushrooms, I don't miss the carbs

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    Chances are that you might be sensitive to gluten ... in that case the 80/20 rule will not work, since even small amounts of gluten trigger strong cravings. Try to eat fruit with heavy (whipped) cream to satisfy your carb cravings instead of allowing yourself a slice of bread or pasta.

tabithatoes is offline Member
    Cleaning out your kitchen should really help with this matter. I did this my first day of PB... literally carried a full trash bag of crap "food" to the sidewalk! Now when I get a craving and head to the kitchen, my only choices are whole, healthy carbs (fruits, veggies, nuts).

As for the cravings themselves, many on this forum recommend going cold turkey and cutting carbs WAY down to get past the low-carb-flu. My first few days on PB were really tough, I was feeling groggy and lazy and kept having intense night sweats. I held steady between 80-100g carb and it passed. I guess it's different for everyone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast