Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fat, Protein and Hormones page

LAnutrition is offline Junior Member

Fat, Protein and Hormones

Shop Now
    Fats and Protein - the building blocks of a healthy mind, body and soul

In terms of macro nutrients, fat (the good kind) and protein are the real trusted friends of your body, mind and soul. Let me elaborate a little further for youÖIím sure that by now most of you have heard that eating good fats helps you to burn fat and eating protein fills you up more and keeps you going longer as well as fuelling that all important muscle growth. But have you thought about the impact that they have on your insulin levels and sensitivity and your delicate hormone balance?*Itís no secret to those that know me that Iím an avid follower of the protein before carbs school of thought - itís a way of eating that works very well for me in many more ways than one.The diet that most of us follow in the western world means that we are consuming a larger amount of refined carbohydrates and sugar, upsetting the levels of insulin in our blood. Not only does this leave us reaching for the nearest chocolate bar when insulin levels crash but it also upsets the delicate balance of oestrogen and progesterone - the female hormones - meaning that our oestrogen levels soar while progesterone drops, often leaving us feeling depressed, anxious, lethargic and very erratic. These feelings can lead to comfort eating, loss of sleep, weight gain and general drop in our self esteem. When this all becomes compounded by adding adrenal fatigue in to the equation the situation can become quite unbearable.*This is where our good friends fat and protein come to the rescue. By simply cutting your intake of carbohydrates and sugar and replacing them with fats from foods such as whole eggs, avocado, fish and nuts and protein from meat, fish, poultry etc you avoid the insulin spikes, avoid the hormone imbalance, the weight gain and that whole list of negative results that no one wants in their lives.You may be wandering where youíre going to get the certain levels of carbohydrate that your body needs to function. The answer is vegetables and fruit. Eat enough of these, combined with fats and protein and the occasional portion of Quinoa or Sweet Potato, and youíre body can easily fuel itself.You can further improve your recovery by eating 4/5 small meals a day rather than the standard 3. Not only will this aid in the maintenance of insulin sensitivity and hormone balance but it will also raise your metabolism and aid in any weight issues you may have. If you then throw in two good weights/ resistance training sessions a week and one or two cardio sessions youíll find your life will take a drastic U turn.*What are your thoughts/ experience on prioritising the intake of fat and protein over carbs? If thereís any questions about anything Iíve written here let me know - Iím happy to help!

fuzzynavel is offline Member
    Think you are preaching to the converted here!

what's your angle? Troll??

I was looking through a few recent posts and saw some from people recovering from eating disorders - this is a post I put on my blog a day or two ago and thought it might be interesting/ helpful to them... I don't doubt that most of you here are fully aware of what I wrote about but was just trying to help those that may not be

ashokahuja is offline Junior Member

Lightbulb i am a vegetarian.how can i have required proteins from vegetarian food?

Quote Originally Posted by LAnutrition View Post
    Fats and Protein - the building blocks of a healthy mind, body and soul

In terms of macro nutrients, fat (the good kind) and protein are the real trusted friends of your body, mind and soul. Let me elaborate a little further for youÖIím sure that by now most of you have heard that eating good fats helps you to burn fat and eating protein fills you up more and keeps you going longer as well as fuelling that all important muscle growth. But have you thought about the impact that they have on your insulin levels and sensitivity and your delicate hormone balance?*Itís no secret to those that know me that Iím an avid follower of the protein before carbs school of thought - itís a way of eating that works very well for me in many more ways than one.The diet that most of us follow in the western world means that we are consuming a larger amount of refined carbohydrates and sugar, upsetting the levels of insulin in our blood. Not only does this leave us reaching for the nearest chocolate bar when insulin levels crash but it also upsets the delicate balance of oestrogen and progesterone - the female hormones - meaning that our oestrogen levels soar while progesterone drops, often leaving us feeling depressed, anxious, lethargic and very erratic. These feelings can lead to comfort eating, loss of sleep, weight gain and general drop in our self esteem. When this all becomes compounded by adding adrenal fatigue in to the equation the situation can become quite unbearable.*This is where our good friends fat and protein come to the rescue. By simply cutting your intake of carbohydrates and sugar and replacing them with fats from foods such as whole eggs, avocado, fish and nuts and protein from meat, fish, poultry etc you avoid the insulin spikes, avoid the hormone imbalance, the weight gain and that whole list of negative results that no one wants in their lives.You may be wandering where youíre going to get the certain levels of carbohydrate that your body needs to function. The answer is vegetables and fruit. Eat enough of these, combined with fats and protein and the occasional portion of Quinoa or Sweet Potato, and youíre body can easily fuel itself.You can further improve your recovery by eating 4/5 small meals a day rather than the standard 3. Not only will this aid in the maintenance of insulin sensitivity and hormone balance but it will also raise your metabolism and aid in any weight issues you may have. If you then throw in two good weights/ resistance training sessions a week and one or two cardio sessions youíll find your life will take a drastic U turn.*What are your thoughts/ experience on prioritising the intake of fat and protein over carbs? If thereís any questions about anything Iíve written here let me know - Iím happy to help!
    hi
    i am a vegetarian .please let me know how can i fulfill my requirement of proteins in my diet.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ashokahuja View Post
    hi
    i am a vegetarian .please let me know how can i fulfill my requirement of proteins in my diet.
    Pastured eggs, and dairy if you tolerate it well. Consider adding fish, the ray-finned swimming kind and the lobe-finned kind that learned to walk on land. Do you realize how stupid and uncooperative chickens are?

Leida is offline Senior Member
    So, what do you do when that doesn't work and you see yourself gaining fat despite eating grass-fed beef, O3 eggs, veggies, fruit, soaked and dried nuts, avocado and tubers in all their organic goodness, while lifting, running, swimming and doing martial arts?

Blah, another guru wannabe.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Here's a list of paleo friendly vegetarian sources of protein and healthy fats for you to try;

Almonds
    Avocado
    Broccoli
    Eggs
    Hemp Seed
    Pistachios
    Sweet Potatoes
    Spinach
    Spirulina
    Walnuts.

You could also try including some no dairy cheese such as goats cheese, feta or halloumi if you're not so strict on the paleo side of things.

Perhaps try looking at your portion sizes, timing and frequency of your meals and also look more at measurements than weight, with the type of training and diet nyou described they'll be much more reliable than a set of scales.
    With regard to being a wanna be guru - I'd say more sharing the knowledge i have and hoping it may help but always aware that there's much much more to learn.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Leida is offline Senior Member
    been there did that. Did not work.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Fat makes me fat.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast