Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: lower volume (2x5) for strength gains (because 5x5 makes me eat too much!) page 5

Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Works better if you curse at them. A lot.
    You need to be in the gym on birthdays, graduations, anniversaries, your mama's birthday...

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeast View Post
    I will talk to my trainer, i don't know if there's a name for it specifically but i've been wanting to read up on his sources for a while anyway. Up till now the only thing that mattered was that it works and takes no time at all, i'm increasing my lifts at a pretty reasonable rate and hopefully will be at maintenance within a few months (another handful of sessions) then i can get back to really thinking about body fat drops again (it's going down still just slower than before)

My half tongue-in-cheek response to not on the rug about warm-ups is that my first n reps are the warm up for the final rep

which is not all that crazy when you consider that the first few reps are 'easy' and then the later few are 'hard', so is that much different from lifting lighter weights first?
    I think the no warmup philosophy may be/have been a Pavel Tsatsouline thing. Not sure if he still advocates it. If it was from Pavel T., it's a case of a guy who is right about a lot of things being wrong about 1 particular thing.

You will get injured.

You could lift more if you warmed up first.

The lack of accumulated fatigue on your first reps is not at all the same as doing several sets at lower intensity and increasing the intensity through your work set(s).

Warm muscles are able to produce more force, more safely than cold muscles.

Your trainer is wrong.

Static stretching, on the other hand, should probably not be done before lifting heavy weights.

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    You need to be in the gym on birthdays, graduations, anniversaries, your mama's birthday...
    Well, I am planning to squat today, on July 4th, instead of eating apple pie and hot dogs and potato chips. I promise I'll curse at my quads and posterior chain (might need a mirror to get the full effect) and see if it helps.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    In Pennsylvanian high school wrestling archives there was a heavyweight (3 time state champ) that was quite outspoken about NOT warming up or stretching prior to a mach based on his philosophy. Number 20 on the list InterMat Wrestling - 20 best high school wrestlers over the past 20 years

The kid would get up off the bench completely cold and get on with it. His idea was to treat wrestling as a martial art, so he would train in a matter that conformed to a street fight breaking out. I guess you could call this greasing the groove of going from cold to full tilt in a matter of seconds.

Personally I wouldn't recommend it. High school kids are dumb, even if they are gifted wrestlers

PS: I grew up and was on the mat at approximately the same time as WAY too many of these elite lightweight wrestlers from PA. Tough guys to wrestle, but good times none the less.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-04-2013 at 08:17 AM.

archaeologyboy is offline Junior Member
    thanks greenbeast I appreciate anything you come up with. My interest is in the idea that less is more - having clearly been working out too much, I am now wondering what a sensible minimum might be - once a month sounds extreme, but twice or even once a week sounds interesting, and I try to be openminded so I'm looking forward to seeing the rationale for your program.

I have to say tho I agree with richmahogany, my body feels better and more capable if I warm up gradually (for anything) - I won't be dropping my warm-up sets anytime soon.

that said, here's a thought: as a kid, and a teenager, and probably until my early twenties, I needed no warm up at all - i wonder, specifically at a biological level, what changed, and if those changes are inevitable.
    Last edited by archaeologyboy; 07-05-2013 at 08:14 PM.
    Me: 39, 5'11", primal since Dec 2011, always been active (surfing, martial arts) but no athlete.
    Currently: bw 78kg (17ish% fat?), Squat 102.5kgx5 , Bench 67.5kgx5, Deadlift 115kgx5 (July 2013)

If less is more is more even more?

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I'm 33, and I definitely need more warmup than I did before, and I notice a big difference in my lifts when I don't warm up enough.

I've been insanely busy lately, and dropped my workouts to a bunch of semi-random bodyweight stuff throughout the week, and deadlifts once a week. I'm not gaining mass really, but I am still gaining strength. Body By Science is a protocol based on only working out once every 7-10 days.

If I had the time right now, I'd be doing stronglifts twice a week, as I can't recover from three in a week. I just have other things to do that are more important at the moment.

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    archeologyboy, once a week is the most i would ever do. It doesn't hurt to try, especially if you're already over doing it. Just drop back and see if you can maintain (or increase) strength gains. It seems crazy to not even try given that it's not any more work
    You just have to give it everything when you do train.

archaeologyboy is offline Junior Member
    jfreaksho - thanks I'll have a look at body by science, sounds like it might be a helpful approach

greenbeast - thanks for the encouragement, I'm definitely going to experiment with low volume and frequency. I'm taking this week off as a deload week (and to get out of the 'more is more' mindset), then I am thinking i will experiment to see what is the minimum that works for me. It definitely seems pointless to do more than the minimum i need to do to to accomplish my objectives - time not spent working out can be spent on other things.
    Last edited by archaeologyboy; 07-07-2013 at 06:22 PM.
    Me: 39, 5'11", primal since Dec 2011, always been active (surfing, martial arts) but no athlete.
    Currently: bw 78kg (17ish% fat?), Squat 102.5kgx5 , Bench 67.5kgx5, Deadlift 115kgx5 (July 2013)

If less is more is more even more?

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by archaeologyboy View Post
    . It definitely seems pointless to do more than the minimum i need to do to to accomplish my objectives - time not spent working out can be spent on other things.

ding ding ding we have a winner!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345