Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with my plateau page

TwitchF4C is offline Junior Member

Need help with my plateau

Shop Now
    So I started in March of 2012 getting healthier and exercising and such. I train MMA with hopes to fight (and yes I've read the Abe Wagner posts). When I started I was at 285lbs, 6ft2 and 20 years old. I am now 235 and 21. I've been sitting at 235 for 3 months now. I workout twice a day Monday through Friday, doing PB fitness in the morning, and my MMA training in the evening. The MMA is rigorous and for about 2-4 hours. I take a whey isotope for protein and stick to a pretty strict primal way of eating. I have still quite a bit of body fat I need to take off and not sure how to break my plateau. I've tried changing workouts, taking time off, and changing my eating. I am now experimenting with eating more food to see if it kick starts my metabolism again, but I'm running out of ideas and would greatly appreciate any advice or help.
    Here my before and afters. Obviously, the darker images are before;
    Fitness - Imgur

Thank in advance

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    First, congrats for what you've already accomplished. I am not into martial arts anymore, but I'd like to consider myself a pretty high-level rugby player. I'd say the main difference is that we beat the hell out of someone with a ball around as window-dressing. Here would be my advice and what I do. I'm sure others have very different plans that are worthy of consideration as well....

Me: 28yo male, 188lbs, 8%BF that I owe to a love of hiking and IF.

-- The main challenge with what we both do is that in the evenings we are going to torch a lot of calories. These are not going to be slow-release that high fat dieting will help with. They are bursts, glycolytic or anaerobic in nature. Running like hell or driving someone off the ball for me, knocking someone's block off for you. Either way, saying "do a standard bodybuilding calorie cut with leptin resets occassionally" will not work. We have to perform. Looking like underwear models is job #2

Here is what I do. It is a hybrid of an intermittent fasting routine:
    ---Workout in mornings, usually about 8am. Take cocktail of BCAA, creatine, and B12 (I use Animal Rage)
    ---First meal between 10 and noon. Usually biggest meal of the day because I am starving.
    -- Last meal around 4pm to 6pm. Usually lighter, a lot of fats. I use a 6 hour eating window if it's a rest day, 8 if I am double training. I always wash down the meal with a protein shake to get it up for my daily total of about 200g.
    -- Practice from 6pm to 8pm. I try to make sure I am digested well, so if I know it will be a rough day I eat earlier to give it more time.
    -- Fast from 6pm to 10am, noon the next day.

There are a lot of ways to work it. My point is that you can find an IF method to fit your schedule. I am a true believer that it is magic, esp for young men. I like it because when I do eat, I can EAT. I don't do portion control

Hope this helps.

Awesome!! Thank you!!
    So your BCAA Cocktail, is that before, after, or during workout?

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    I take it before, as it is meant to provide a stream of aminos while I am working out. A great source for some of this programming is leangains.com. He is almost singularly focused on low bodyfat and lifting heavy, so some of the other stuff on there doesn't work as well for athletes....that said, his fasting method is very effective.

It all depends on when you workout vs when you train....also, why are you doing Primal fitness as outlined in the book if you are going to practice later? Primal fitness as in the book is mainly bodyweight stuff, not heavy duty, which I would imagine is what practice is like, minus taking punches

I lift heavy in the morning or do a mixed strength/conditioning Crossfit workout in the morning, practice later. This way it's not the same intensity for both....

Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    I take it before, as it is meant to provide a stream of aminos while I am working out. A great source for some of this programming is leangains.com. He is almost singularly focused on low bodyfat and lifting heavy, so some of the other stuff on there doesn't work as well for athletes....that said, his fasting method is very effective.

It all depends on when you workout vs when you train....also, why are you doing Primal fitness as outlined in the book if you are going to practice later? Primal fitness as in the book is mainly bodyweight stuff, not heavy duty, which I would imagine is what practice is like, minus taking punches

I lift heavy in the morning or do a mixed strength/conditioning Crossfit workout in the morning, practice later. This way it's not the same intensity for both....
    In the mornings I help a buddy work out and it helps me as well, more so with the strength conditioning side than the cardio side as 99% of practice for me is cardio and usually not strength. My schedule though is about the same as what yours is. I go to the gym and workout at about 7:00a.m. (wake up about 6/6:30) workout until about 7:45/8:00, go home change make breakfast, work usually from about 9:30 to 4/4:30, go to practice about 6 until about 8:30/9:00. That's my day in a nutshell Monday through Friday and I rest on weekends. I work retail, so my hours are kinda screwy, but that is more or less the schedule I follow. I'm gonna try what you said you're doing and see if it helps.

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    congrats on the weight loss yes you do have bf to lose...I really like Nate Miyaki go to his website he some info there.
    Honestly eat at maintenance for a couple of weeks then drop the cals again and see what happens. I also think you should cut back on your workout in general. As I can see from your pic, are you sure you eating 100 % primal, you tend to store some fat on your chest area which could be a sign of excess estrogen. sorry don't mean to be rude.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Hi there,

I just looked at your pics. To me (and I am no professional), it looks like you keep this fat due to stress. If you want to focus on losing fat, you will have to take it easy on your heavy workouts. If I were you, that's what I would do:
    - reduce anaerobic workouts
    - narrow down your eating window (make it 4 hours if you can)
    - walk a lot while fasting, with occasional sprints
    - when you eat a meal, avoid mixing carbs and fat: do either protein + fat or protein + carbs, and keep cycling (4-5 days protein+fat, then 1-2 days prot + carbs). It'll do wonder. Once a week or every other week, fast for 48 hours, preferably after a big fatty meal.

And really, sleep as long as you can, including daytime naps. All sleep time counts. You need plenty of recovery and low chronic stress. If you have to do "explosive" workouts, limit them to twice a week.

Good luck

PS: of course, there are many ways to lose fat ... what about the "potato hack" diet for a couple of weeks ? You will only eat potatoes, nothing else, and as much as you like, with salt, vinegar, whatever condiment as long as it is not fatty ... this is tricky
    Last edited by dkJames; 07-15-2013 at 02:18 AM.

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Fast.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    High intensity exercise in a fasted stated while eating paleo. 8 hour feeding window.

That should do the trick.

also this: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread79260.html
    ad astra per aspera

Wow. You guys work so damned hard at this.

Get off the fake crapola and eat straight paleo again. Stop counting calories, etc. You only need to do that when you're NOT eating paleo. You need to revisit the real deal. I recommend "The Paleo Solution". I have no issues maintaining either weight or BF and do almost no workout at all.

Stop trying to change the equation. Back to basics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast