Thread: 25 & overdue for a better life! page

ourmisadventures is offline Junior Member

25 & overdue for a better life!

Short Bio: I'm Meg, 25 & married for three years now. I work from home processing real estate appraisals & running a digital scrapbooking website. I also am on the board for my local Parkinson's Disease support group (I'm a secondary caregiver and advocate for PD patients and families.) My husband is in law enforcement, and just got switched to day shift after five years of being on swing & night shift -- so much better for our health now!!!! We're on a tight budget since my income fluctuates, but we're fortunate to live in an area where there's lots of access to farm to table foods, and we were already getting most of our veggies from the farmer's markets -- just need to find grass fed meat sources, or DH needs to finally make one of his hunting trips pay off!!!

------------------

Your location: Fresno, CA >> so I have wonderful access to farm to table foods Although tonight's farmer's market was canceled due to extreme heat

Age (If you want): 25

How Primal are you: barely -- on Day 2 of the 21 Day Challenge, but I went grain free a few days before starting the challenge and immediately noticed a difference.

Do you consume dairy: minimally, kerrygold butter (I haven't found a local source yet) and aged sharp cheddar for snacks.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Tea, mostly herbal and always organic.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Weight, migraines, TMJ, & IBD -- too many darn problems for a 25 year old. I've always struggled with my body image, and in the last six years that struggle turned into myself just sabotaging my body -- I'm about 80lbs heavier than I would like to be. I also have IBD issues and food allergies (carrots, cherries, non-organic berries - because of the chemicals, grapefruit, etc,) my biggest problem is a spastic gall bladder -- something that runs in the family. When I was 21, at my rehearsal dinner, my dad casually mentioned that he and my brother had tested positive for gluten intolerance... which caused a nagging in the back of my brain that I was too, even though I was just "under" the threshold on all the testing.
    Over the last several year I've done lots of CW programs -- Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, MFP (TDEE cut & the standard MFP goals) -- each one helped me drop about 30lbs, but then I would get frustrated and sabotage myself, regain it all and then some! A good friend of mine had been nagging me for the last year to give up grains because of my migraines and IBD, and finally I listened to her and bought Maria Emmerich & Mark's books and took the plunge!

Favorite exercise: Kettlebells -- LOVE IT!

Favorite Primal food: Tritip

Best part about being Primal: Ask me in a few weeks

Worst part about being Primal: Right now -- it's just the temptation of carbs, there are so many wonderful seasonal local fruits right now... but at like 30g of carbs a serving! Definitely have to keep myself in check with that, so I set up MFP to my macronutrient goals to watch my carb and protein intake. Don't worry -- I have it set to my BMR and not their starvation settings!
    OH! And giving up drinking. I LOVE bourbon!!! I'm trying to keep away from the booze until after the 21-Day Challenge, then I'll limit myself and have a drink as "treats." Sigh. I have two new handles of my favorite bourbons too!!!

---------------

Right now I'm really struggling with a heat wave. We're on day six of tripple digit heat -- and super unhealthy air quality. I've been swimming leisurely the last two nights instead of going for a walk, and stretches in the morning. I was planning to swim tonight for my Day 2 aerobic activity, but I've been suffering from a terrible sinus migraine all day and don't feel safe swimming -- so I'll swim laps tomorrow after the farmer's market.

I really look forward to becoming a part of this community and embracing the primal lifestyle!

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome from up in Sacramento. Yes, the heat and air quality stink.

One daily drink is ok in Primal. Bourbon is not ideal but I doubt that the fact they are made of grain is a big issue. I'm sure Mark has done a post.

I hope Primal fixes all your many problems.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

ourmisadventures is offline Junior Member
    Yeah my two favorite bourbons -- one is corn, and one is rye. Hence why it would have to be the rare rare treat. At least I don't care for beer LOL! I love going to Sierra Nevada Brewing Co in Chico on our way home to Portland to visit, but that's pretty much the only time I'll drink a beer.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Welcome! I was 25, too, when I knew something had to change. I'm sure you'll find help, honesty, and a healthy dose of debate on these forums. Looking forward to your progress! Take it slow, take it easy on yourself and remember it's a way of life, not a diet.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html