Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone raising rabbits for meat? page 3

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
    All rabbits are made of meat, it can be cheaper to learn with "any old bunny" than splash out of specific breeds - depends what's local to you. Also "meat mutts" can do better on weeds and scraps; NZWs need more feeding to get up to weight quickly. Wire floored cages seem to be the norm in America, though Polyface Farms have a good pastured set-up. Consider temperatures - dry cold is fine, wet is a killer, heat is not good. Beware flystrike in hot weather especially. Consider predators, including things as small as rats and mice. Consider how you'll handle the manure and bedding waste. Look up the "broomstick" technique for dispatching, and have a look at tanning the hides too.
    Thank you! I was hoping I'd get some good advice here, and I have.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

wiltondeportes Guest
    I am ethically opposed to this

TheyCallMeLazarus is online now Senior Member
    I have a pretty big problem with huge talking rabbits too, that just take everyone's carrots and serve no purpose but to mutter smart-ass comments all the time. Damn freeloaders. Get a job deadbeats.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    I have a pretty big problem with huge talking rabbits too, that just take everyone's carrots and serve no purpose but to mutter smart-ass comments all the time. Damn freeloaders. Get a job deadbeats.

Ehh...what ya shootin' at, Doc?

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post

Ehh...what ya shootin' at, Doc?
    eh... probably not a Doc... by Geneva Convention, Doc's are supposed to be non-combatants

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Question1; If you keep rabbits on pasture in some kind of enclosure, how the hell to you keep them from burrowing their way out to freedom?

Question 2; What do you call a man with a rabbit up his arse?
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

AlexRobson is offline Junior Member
    I'm in the process of getting an allotment and the thought of keeping rabbits hadn't crossed my mind however now it would seem a good steeping stone to also keeping chickens as by the looks of it the enclosures and care seem very similar.

Rabbit curry, come at me bro!

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    Question 2; What do you call a man with a rabbit up his arse?

Answer: Warren

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Rob View Post
    Question1; If you keep rabbits on pasture in some kind of enclosure, how the hell to you keep them from burrowing their way out to freedom?
    I think the idea is that if they have a sanctuary in their enclosure (ie. a hutch, hut, house, whatever you call it), that have a safe place to live so won't need to burrow, if you keep them well fed they shouldn't need to escape to search for food.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Mutton is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Anyone in Oz keep rabbits? Specifically Tasmania? I have a friend who wants to, but is worried about calici etc.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast