Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Crossfitters--Need Advice (HELP: Learned Fear of Box Jumps) page 4

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    As an update I finally started doing the 20" box! I am pretty cautious mind you as there's still a faint mark on my leg from my box jump incident of 4 weeks ago!

The nice thing is I've finally been able to do a couple of WODs at Rx now! For me though, right now, it's all about preparing fully for each jump. I was less careful on the lower box and as a result I fell.

In order to get the courage I first reassured myself I could do the jump (by jumping on the bed) and then at the end of a CF session I just decided to try it! The box stopped looking as intimidating as it used to.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Learn More

So it looks like I've finally overcome my fear of box jumps. After months of avoiding classes that involved box jumps and jumping onto stacked plates only the few times I went to a class that involved box jumps, today, I finally decided that enough was enough. I was sick of my mental problem.

Today's WOD involved box jumps. I was tempted to skip it when the workout was posted last night. But I only have a few days left in Philly, and this is literally my second-to-last class. I didn't want to skip it. So I didn't.

This morning, I went to my globo gym first and jumped a few times onto those padded non-scary boxes they had. No problem.
    Then I went to crossfit, put on my shin guards, stood in front of the box, stared at it for a few seconds, wrung my hands, stared at it some more, prayed, banged my head against the wall, stared some more, prayed some more, and jumped on it...Yay! I did three jumps. Then I stopped, stared at the box some more, banged my head some more, and jumped some more.

I practiced like that again, this time using the smaller boxes that are tapered at the top, in between the main lift and the WOD. Then I did the WOD. I survived. Yaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm SO happy!

Now, I don't have to go to a new box in CA and tell them that I can't do box jumps.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234