Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crossfitters--Need Advice (HELP: Learned Fear of Box Jumps) page 3

diene is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hey, OD, thanks for the advice. The coaches at my box vary in experience. The head coach and one of the assistant coaches have extensive personal training/coaching experience. The assistant coach (she's really my favorite) works as a fitness trainer at a university where she works collegiate athletes. She really knows her stuff. The other people there don't really have much experience--like the engineer and insurance salesman at your box, they have other unrelated careers in "real life."

That said, my coaches are pretty nice, and they definitely don't belittle people. But they will encourage me to jump, especially since they've seen me do it a bunch of times before. And I also feel ridiculous for suddenly developing this fear of box jumps (although I feel better now knowing that I'm not the only person ever to have this problem). I haven't had to do a box jump yet, and I don't know for sure what I'll do the next time we have to do them. Maybe I'll just do it; maybe I won't be able to and will just step up (and promise that I'll work on it). Box jumps are weird--until I walk up to the box and do it, I always think that there's no way I can do it. So it's hard to know in advance whether I'll actually be able to do it. In any case, if I really don't feel like I can do it, I'll give myself permission to not do it. Haha--and they won't ask me to leave! They'll encourage, but if I tell them I can't do it, they won't flip out or anything. I think a big part of it is getting over feeling like an idiot for not doing it and being okay with not doing it. So it's all in my head--like so many other things. *Sigh*

In the meantime, I'll work on jumping onto the "safe" box at my globo gym. Maybe if I got really comfortable with those, I'll be okay jumping on the wooden boxes again. And I'll take a picture of those boxes when I'm there tomorrow and post it here.

I think it's a balance--part of my reason for going to crossfit, other than to learn how to lift properly, is to get that extra push you get when working out in a group environment. So it's a delicate balance between getting that extra push and working harder than you otherwise would on your own and going at it too hard and risking injury. I'm usually pretty good at not exceeding my capacity. It's just occasionally near the end of a WOD when I suddenly get this *fuck it* attitude that I get in trouble.

Goldie is online now Senior Member
    Diene, I want to second what OD said. Have you talked to your coaches about your fear? I think if you let them know that you want to get over this fear, and you're working on it, they should be okay with you doing step-ups and not jumps. Just tell them you're working on it, and when you feel ready, you'll jump.

A few months ago at my box we had a hard workout with a lot of box jumps in it. My coach actually had several of us time how long it took to jump v. step and we discovered that (for a lot of "jumps") it was actually faster for most of us to step. Our coaches also suggest that any of us in the over-30 age group step DOWN instead of jumping down.

The ONLY injuries I've ever gotten at Crossfit were from box jumps, both on the same shin. For me, it's a matter of where I'm looking (as a previous poster said). You go where you look!

Thanks, Goldie! I'll talk to them next time we have to do box jumps. And I do step down. I was jumping down for a while but after reading about the risks of injury, I decided that it wasn't worth it.

Took me a while, but here's a picture of the "safe" boxes at my globo gym. I can officially do box jumps onto the intermediate height one with no problem. I think that one is around 20 inches.

[IMG][/IMG]

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I've never had anything to do with crossfit beyond looking it up on the internet. It surprises me to see how many women are seriously afraid of box jumps. It seems like they ought to take that into account and have more intermediate sizes on hand.

But it is also a possibility that you could deal with this fear like any other irrational fear or phobia: through the use of hypnosis, NLP, or EFT. You might want to look for a practitioner of one of those to help you with that.

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    I was reminded of this topic (painfully) this morning... Yup I had an "incident" with the box (and I was using a 15.5" one) and now I'm bruised on knee, thigh, wrist and forearm (and this is a box height I can get onto pretty easily)... The trainer had earlier told me I should be able to use the 20" box! Glad I didn't try .

It's too easy to hurt yourself doing box jumps even on boxes you know you can get onto! Just glad I had my fall during the last round of the WOD and not the first!! Anyway it's put me off trying the higher box for awhile!

Hey, sorry about your box jump accident! The times when I've had accidents, it's usually during the last round of the WOD too because I think it's more likely to happen when you're tired or feeling rushed. They should really use padded boxes.

The last time we had to do box jumps at crossfit (last Friday), I just did step-ups instead of jumps. It was only during the warm-up and not a WOD so it wasn't a big deal. I'm somewhat hopeful that I'll be able to do them again soon because I've been practicing on the "safe," padded boxes at my globo gym.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I only jump on the tiniest box I can find, and I do step ups if I can't find small box. It may not look cool, but it looks cooler than falling down and missing a few weeks.

I think that knowing when to get the f**k out of the gym is an important skill. It's like quitting while ahead with gambling....
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Well I have ascertained that I can jump 20" but I won't do it on the hard box!! Too easy to have a mishap and I'm still a bit scared (worse now haha). I learned that I can jump 20" by jumping on the bed (safe and soft).

Off Duty is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I only jump on the tiniest box I can find, and I do step ups if I can't find small box. It may not look cool, but it looks cooler than falling down and missing a few weeks.
    Good move on your part.
    In the end, it's all about what works for "you."
    From experience I've found, that the more injuries you sustain, the more down time you have, the less likely it will be that you'll want to continue.

I think that knowing when to get the f**k out of the gym is an important skill. It's like quitting while ahead with gambling....
    That's about the best quote (and advise) I've seen in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fireling View Post
    Well I have ascertained that I can jump 20" but I won't do it on the hard box!! Too easy to have a mishap and I'm still a bit scared (worse now haha). I learned that I can jump 20" by jumping on the bed (safe and soft).
    And there ya go!
    Congratulations. By thinking outside the box (no pun intended), you've found a way to find your height without risking your safety.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast