Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Barbie vs Barbie page 5

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    No, Canio... you are misunderstanding a bit.
    5'10" and size 12/14 is an average "plus sized model", not a "plus size woman" or "plus size clothing". Just the image used most often to represent those women in advertisements.
    It gets a little weird there...

Thank you for the summary, but I do understand. The model is still called a plus sized model even if she is not modeling plus sized clothing (okay, she is modeling for said clothing even if her size is not officially plus sized.) She may be a 12 while plus sized clothing is a 14 or a 16 (or whatever) but she is still being referred to as plus sized. If I were a woman it would drive me to bitchiness. That is what I find weird, the fact that you all put up with it.

Heck, it used to piss me off as as a kid when clothes were labelled husky. WTF is husky? "Yes, these are husky sized." Oh, great, then I am going to go and lift my leg and piss all over this display after I run the Iditerod with my husky ass Mr. Shopkeep.

Honestly, I find the whole clothes shopping experience to be rather a pain in the dick. Oh look honey here is the women's section, and the misses section and the juniors section and the...wtf...I'll be over in the men's section...we only have one, because we are men.

As for bravery, no one is brave for their body. 100 pounds, 200, 500..what is brave about it? Hell, I am ugly as shit, but if someone wants to pay me cash to wear a bathing suit in an ad I'd do it and there would be nothing brave about it. It is called simple economics.

I'm not sure what is worse the idea that everyone should be a size 2 or the gushing at people who are not. You're a pretty girl who happens to be a size 12, this is news? Yay, America.

yes, I am getting bitter in my old age. I'm off to get scotch to improve my mood.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    yes, I am getting bitter in my old age. I'm off to get scotch to improve my mood.
    How about some Southern Comfort, sweetness.

*respect*

Yes, I LOVE this commercial...
    Just not enough to actually drink that SC shit.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Yes, I LOVE this commercial...
    Just not enough to actually drink that SC shit.
    Lawl. That is so me in ten years

As for so-co, well, I must admit to drinking it in my misspent youth. Good memories. Thanks for the video. I needed that.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    That said, from what I have read around here far more damage to young self-esteem is done by other women/girls and mothers than any $20 piece of plastic with a dream house.
    Ding ding ding.... we have a winner!

But yeah, at some point Marilyn Monroe would have been reported as "porking up" by the media, and she probably at some point would have had a headline of "Marilyn Weight Shocker" when she trimmed up. I mean, hell they even criticize famous pregnant women for gaining weight. And they call out the thin girls too.

"Plus Size" models - the one in that video could not even fit into Lane Bryant Plus Sizes.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Judging women by height and weight is silly. Look at the side-by-side photos of Staci towards the end of this article. The heavier version is clearly the hotter version. Anybody who says otherwise is just afraid of strong women and is therefore a pussy.

But, I've posted these articles before, and I will again. Because this is a healthy outlook for women, and for men to have of women:

A Lion in Iron: Women
    A Lion in Iron: Ladies, Measurements Don’t Matter

Women should be encouraged to be healthy and fit and strong and let being hot happen on its own, not be told to starve or surgically alter themselves to fit an unobtainable (for many) ideal of beauty.

I'm a small-framed little fella trying to get big and strong. No matter how many times my lady friend/co-workers/the dudes I train Jiu Jitsu with/strangers/friends/family/acquaintences tell me I look better with some meat on my bones, I still wince when I look in the mirror and can't see my razor sharp abs. And men have maybe 10 or 25% as much pressure to have a beach-perfect body as women do.

Let's embrace Alexander Cortes's ideals for women, not Mattel's. Want to encourage your lady friend's desire to make positive changes? Build her these. I did.

MudLily is offline Senior Member
    I laughed out loud when I discovered that I have the right proportions for a plus model (except for being only 5'8"). It makes sense to me that a 12/14 would be used for plus clothing. The fashion people want a clothes hangar to show off the clothes to best effect, hence the ultra-skinny girls for junior and misses sizes. A 12/14 woman IS a clothes hangar relative to 16+ clothes. Not to say I disagree with the effect the media coverage has on women's self esteem, because I don't, but the use of 12/14 women and plus models makes sense to me.

The real-size Barbie reminds me of 1) Skipper from the 1980's, 2) Cyndi, my first Barbie-ish doll, and 3) Darcy, my second. Mom bought these over Barbie on purpose. Darcy was actually quite muscular, IIRC. We used her and the Shaun Cassidy doll as the bad guys.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Oooh. Shaun Cassidy. Dreamy....

I hear often just keep working out, keep lifting, keep dieting, keep sprinting, and eventually you'll have Staci's superhero body. It all comes down to "having the body."

I have grown weary of the cult of low body fat | Fit and Feminist
    The signifier – the lean body – has become the ultimate goal, while the signified – physical fitness – has become of secondary importance.
    Does possessing the signified count for anything if you don't possess the signifier?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    So Co goes does down just a bit too easy....bit too sweat.

Anyhow I don't look like GI Joe, He-Man, or the ThunderCats and you dont see me throwing a hissy fit. Dolls are fantasy. If you were not taught that blame your parents not the doll.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    So Co goes does down just a bit too easy....bit too sweat.

Anyhow I don't look like GI Joe, He-Man, or the ThunderCats and you dont see me throwing a hissy fit. Dolls are fantasy. If you were not taught that blame your parents not the doll.
    I look kinda like Snarf.

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    I have two minor observations?

1) Why do women feel such a need to tell MEN what is "attractive"? It's a constant "SEE!!! This woman looks GREAT!!!" And we are all supposed to smile and nod. The whole thing seems preposterous to me. You don't see men saying "No, Mathew McConahey is NOT hot! This huge muscle bound brick shithouse of a man is hot! (Sub in skinny computer geek guy, etc) It always drove me insane....I'd be out with female friends and a very attractive woman comes in...and I can time it like clockwork. "Wow, she looks starving." or "She looks like she's 16"....and of course I never say anything. Men never do.

But what we are thinking is "No. She is hot. It's ok. Calm down." I mean, let us be the judge of that, maybe? For some guys a rail-thin fashion model "thigh gap" chick is hot. For others they want them to look like powerlifters. Let us have a preference. It comes off as incredibly compensatory every time I see an article (written by women, for women) that is about how so and so is attractive. Sorry, you wouldn't know unless you bat for the other team. It's ok. It's biology

2) Women worship at the alter of the beautiful woman more than men do....I remember a girlfriend that got a bunch of women's magazines. I am talking Cosmo, Shape, Women's health....and I always found it odd how there were more hot women in revealing clothes in HER magazines than mine. Men's health has a few, maybe 2-3 pics per issue. A women's mag it is every page. TV shows that are habitually for women show gorgeous women in the commercials, for men's shows it's boner pills, beer, trucks, and snack food. (I realized this while being forced to watch Kim Kardashian's show months ago. God am I glad I have no TV!) I think there is a lot of marketing underpinning all of this, mixed with a lot of antiquated garbage that is inherently anti-feminism that produces this fact....that our culture puts the beautiful woman as something akin to a deity....I have thought that before: That if aliens came and spied on our planet, they would assume our God was a gorgeous, thin woman. Pictures of her are EVERYWHERE!!!

That is why my female friends always react that way; because in a way, God just came into the ice cream shop. Everyone stares. This person that came in has "The Commodity", and everyone has to respond to it. It's really rather strange when you look at it in the abstract...it's like how 100 years ago the deity was "The Man of Wealth". Every man was striving to be a Carnagie, a Rockefeller, a Morgan...and when one of THOSE men came into a room, everyone responded. God had just come in. The thing their culture worshiped just came in for a coffee....I realize this is somewhat exaggerated, but it is not very much so, and that is the scary part.

Which is why I have one big rule in dating: If you come to my home to hangout, no makeup can be worn. I want to see the real person
    Last edited by TheyCallMeLazarus; 07-04-2013 at 08:49 PM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast