Thread: What are they doing to our chicken? page

PlaydohYeti is offline Member

What are they doing to our chicken?

Hi,

To cut a long story short, I suffer from migraine aura, ME and have lots of food intolerances. I find that I can eat whole chicken providing I cook it at home, remove the skin and make sure it's not swimming in fat because that sets off my migraines. What I tend to do is blitz it in the microwave surrounded in water because that makes the fat ooze out without too many explosions so I can throw it away. The same goes for separate legs and thighs.

All this is a lot of messing about so I tried buying plain, fresh, de-boned, de-skinned chicken breast. The problem is I can't eat it without feeling dizzy and lethargic as though I'm about to tip over into migraine aura territory. What on earth are the manufacturers doing to it? Are the breasts in particular washed in something toxic? Is there anywhere I can buy it where it hasn't been mauled like this? I know the obvious answer is organic, corn-fed etc. etc., but that's not practical for everyday consumption for most of us.

The story gets even stranger still: I managed to find some de-boned, de-skinned chicken thighs and providing I de-fat these, I can eat them without feeling ill... and this is from the same supermarket. Why would thighs be treated any differently to breasts?

Any idea what's going on?

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Who knows. There's so many variables down the line. I wouldn't go to great lengths for chicken; beef and lamb and bison are nutritionally superior, especially the fats. If it's a cost issue, opt for inexpensive cuts of beef, especially liver.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

PlaydohYeti is offline Member
    I wish it was as simple as switching proteins. I can't touch beef with a barge pole whether it's lean or otherwise because it's a major migraine trigger for me. The same goes for lamb. Never tried bison, but I doubt I'd get away with that.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PlaydohYeti View Post
    I wish it was as simple as switching proteins. I can't touch beef with a barge pole whether it's lean or otherwise because it's a major migraine trigger for me. The same goes for lamb. Never tried bison, but I doubt I'd get away with that.
    Oh, sorry. this reminds me of a woman who once told me she's allergic to grass, so he can't have milk or beef because cows eat grass and it gives her the same reaction. She was an elderly woman who obviously grew up during times before we fed cows leftover candy, lol.

Anyway, I think in general chicken is the least trusted form of meat as far as their food quality goes. I know some local farms do let them roam free to eat insects and grass, so maybe you can find one of those by you. If not, I'd go for whatever you can tolerate and avoid whatever gives you unpleasant reactions.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PlaydohYeti View Post
    Hi,

To cut a long story short, I suffer from migraine aura, ME and have lots of food intolerances. I find that I can eat whole chicken providing I cook it at home, remove the skin and make sure it's not swimming in fat because that sets off my migraines. What I tend to do is blitz it in the microwave surrounded in water because that makes the fat ooze out without too many explosions so I can throw it away. The same goes for separate legs and thighs.

All this is a lot of messing about so I tried buying plain, fresh, de-boned, de-skinned chicken breast. The problem is I can't eat it without feeling dizzy and lethargic as though I'm about to tip over into migraine aura territory. What on earth are the manufacturers doing to it? Are the breasts in particular washed in something toxic? Is there anywhere I can buy it where it hasn't been mauled like this? I know the obvious answer is organic, corn-fed etc. etc., but that's not practical for everyday consumption for most of us.

The story gets even stranger still: I managed to find some de-boned, de-skinned chicken thighs and providing I de-fat these, I can eat them without feeling ill... and this is from the same supermarket. Why would thighs be treated any differently to breasts?

Any idea what's going on?
    if lipids give you migraines then you need to get a full lab panel. Lipids should not have provide any chemical triggers to the mechanism that gives migraines
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Are you eating conventional meat or pastured meat? Feedlots feed their animals all sorts of crap which can wind up in the meat that we eat. Most people are OK eating this (though pastured is obviously better) but you may be more sensitive to this sort of thing than mostpeople. Try some pastured, grass fed, or wild meat and see if it is any different. What about fish? Eggs?

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    some markets add "solutions" to poultry, which may be your problem.

agree about just ditching it and branching out to more eggs, fish and other birds that are less intensively farmed.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway