Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Immediate Reaction (bloating / sick) from Caeser Salad? Ideas?? page

Pinot-Girl is offline Senior Member

Immediate Reaction (bloating / sick) from Caeser Salad? Ideas??

Hey

So, I was feeling pretty good choosing a Caeser Salad with Chicken at a local restuarant today where I had to attend. Other menu options I avoided were battered fish & chips, rice bowls, burgers and so on.

Anyway, I enjoyed the salad, and had 3 v v v small croutons. Almost immediately afterwards, my tummy bloated by about 3 inches, and became really painful.

It was so immediate it's clearly linked to what I ate, but on the face of it, my choice should have been 'clean'...?

Anyone have any ideas what it could have been? The chicken appeared grilled, there was shaved Parmesan cheese, lettuce and dressing (not much of that either!).

Thank you!!
    From - bloated and confused.

PG!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    You ate croutons. Have you had reactions to gluten in the past? If so, even a salad picked clean of croutons would not be "clean" enough.

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    There may also have been either (or both) gluten and a seed oil, most likely soybean, in the dressing itself. Only you know what you are sensitive to though.

Hey,

I think I'm perhaps becoming more sensitive. I have not had such a severe bloating (that I've noticed) for some time. I had gluten at the weekend (bit of a burger bun & a waffle cone) and don't recall such pain.

Gonna be extra careful going forward. I don't tend to eat out very often which is good - at least at home I know what I'm putting in my body.

PG!

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    My guess is the croutons if you have a gluten intolerance, or all the added chemicals in the dressing if the restaurant uses a bottled brand.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    My guess is the croutons if you have a gluten intolerance, or all the added chemicals in the dressing if the restaurant uses a bottled brand.
    It's the croutons if she has a gluten intolerance. It may also be the croutons if she reacts to soy oil and they were deep-fried in soy oil.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    It's the croutons if she has a gluten intolerance. It may also be the croutons if she reacts to soy oil and they were deep-fried in soy oil.
    They were deep fried - do you think it's soya oil? I've not had a reaction when I've cheated this past weekend on other wheat products, but I don't use soy oil myself.

I'm open to all suggestions - I'm feeling a bit better, I've been drinking a tonne since I got back to the office, and I'm burping like crazy - so much gas in my tummy.

I guess I'll have to find out by having either soya and wheat separately to determine what was the cause.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    It can literally be hundreds of things because you don't really know every minute detail. Bad oils, anchovy and egg in the dressing, MSG, the cheese or its enzymes, thickening gums in the dressing or croutons, the pesticides on the lettuce, the chicken or grill it was cooked on, etc. you'll have to test each component individually to see if you can duplicate the reaction. I doubt it's just wheat if you haven't had this reaction to other wheat products.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Soybean oil is used pretty much exclusively in most restaurants I have gone to. I can tell by how it burns my mouth & makes my throat feel itchy =\
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I usually ask for no croutons/bacon/cheese and olive oil & vinegar on the side if they have it and fine as is if they do not. Normally no problems with the order.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast