Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dedicated mom trying to help her 15 yr old son page

jeffmom is offline Junior Member

Dedicated mom trying to help her 15 yr old son

Primal Fuel
    Hi Everyone,

I'll keep this short. I have a just turned 15yr old son, who has finally decided to get himself into shape. I promise his eating habits weren't horrible since I buy all the food and cook, however he seems to have the unfortunate problem of not burning off anything. I don't fry foods, we eat plenty of chicken, seafood, veggies, fruit. I just don't want you to get the idea that we are a junk food / fast food kind of family.

He is 245# and 6', has a more solid build, wide shoulders and carries most of his weight in his mid-section. He has now started weight training and since I have no clue about this and didn't want him to hurt himself or get discouraged from no results I hired a trainer who works with him 2-days a week (1/2hr sessions). He has been doing this for about 5 weeks and we are noticing some positive changes . I can ask his trainer anything, he is a great guy, but I am "paying him" so I would like some outside info just for myself.

Question 1
    I was told after the first few weeks he should take a protein shake after the workout to help with soreness.
    After research and talking to people I opted for Whey - is this the correct choice? Also how many shakes should he consume a day, I read on the label only one but if he has 2 would that also be ok? ( I just don't want to do anything that would cause him un-necessary weight gain. (no laughter I new to this and trying)

Question 2
    He trains hard with his trainer 2x a week. I have read different things that training everyday is not good for him at all, however I go to the gym myself almost everyday for cardio and working different muscles on different days and he wants to come with me everytime I go. Is it ok for him to workout everyday if he isn't working the same muscle group? I understand doing cardio when your trying to build muscle is counter productive so he refuses to do more than 10minutes cardio on any day. He really has a goal of looking different when school starts up again in two months and I hate to tell him he can't go to the gym everyday when I do it myself...any suggestions?

Thanks so much for any help or advise you can give!!!!

Jeff's mom

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Whey is a good choice if he tolerates dairy, but what do you mean you bought shakes? Did you buy powder, or something liquid? What's the nutrition data and ingredient list?

1/2 an hour 2 days a week probably isn't enough to maximize his progress. He will probably benefit best from about 3 days a week of progressive compound lifts with a barbell. The trainer should teach him to squat, deadlift, standing press, bench press, and power clean, and then you won't need to pay him any more (assuming your son is mathematically capable of adding 5 to other numbers all by himself).

Save the money you're spending on a trainer and buy him a copy of Starting Strength, Basic Barbell Training, 3rd Edition by Mark Rippetoe. And let him eat.

I didn't buy shakes I bought whey that you make shakes out of, he uses non fat milk. I wish I didn't have to spend the money on a trainer however at this point he really needs someone to show him, push him and encourage him. I will tell you for a 15 year old going into a gym and trying to work out with mostly fit, adult males is very intimadating to him and just having a trainer for these few weeks gave him the confidence to go workout by himself. I do not consider the money I am spending to be a waste, I feel as long as he puts in the effort which he is, and that I see results, that it is money well spent. and where did you get the impression I don't let him eat, at 245# you think he doesn't eat?
    Last edited by jeffmom; 07-02-2013 at 02:05 PM.

Is it the effort that counts, or the results that you're after? If it's only the "putting in of effort," then why did you ask the original question? If he wants to actually achieve something, you should spend the $25 on the book I mentioned. The book is written for a different audience than these articles, but I'll post them anyway, because you should read them. So should Junior.

T NATION | The Biggest Training Fallacy of All
    T NATION | Rippetoe Throws Down

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    I cant advise you but wanted to say what a great attitude you have; your sons getting a brilliant start into his adulthood and you sound like a brilliant mom
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

I'm sorry Rich it seems your reading my whole post wrong. I am not here asking if my decission to get a trainer was the right thing to do, nor did I ask about books to buy. Thanks for your imput but not what I was looking for and in no way did it help with my questions.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Hi Jeffmom, I agree your son is fortunate to have you backing him all the way and it sounds like he is off to a great start with basic good eating and his weight training. He will be able to make a lot of progress during the next few weeks.

Since you have a trainer for the physical side it would be great for you to educate yourself more on the nutrition side. Reading a lot round this site so that you understand the primal principles would be a good start. You may need to learn new ways of cooking in order to avoid unhealthy oils and lots of pasta etc.

Here is a thread which shows how lots of people approach this : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread89457.html

I have found that going to primal has changed my enjoyment of both cooking and eating for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmom View Post
    I'm sorry Rich it seems your reading my whole post wrong. I am not here asking if my decission to get a trainer was the right thing to do, nor did I ask about books to buy. Thanks for your imput but not what I was looking for and in no way did it help with my questions.
    You wanted to know if whey was a good choice and if letting him lift every day is a good idea. I offered my opinions on both of those questions. You didn't like the answers I gave, or the advice of where you could further research the issue on your own, and that's fine. Lose the entitled attitude though, it's not becoming.

Thanks Annie - I'll take a look at that link.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sure whatever you say Rich, but I don't feel entitled, however I do now feel that you are not a very nice person and I would rather you would keep yourself out of my thread. Maybe go read a book instead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast