Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dedicated mom trying to help her 15 yr old son page 2

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffmom View Post
    Sure whatever you say Rich, but I don't feel entitled, however I do now feel that you are not a very nice person and I would rather you would keep yourself out of my thread. Maybe go read a book instead.
    That doesn't sound entitled at all. Nor judgmental. Glad I tried to point you in the right direction. Have a nice day. Hope your kid turns out okay despite you.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    rich gets a little grumpy when he hasn't gotten his workout in

but this is a good idea, imo

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Whey is a good choice if he tolerates dairy, but what do you mean you bought shakes? Did you buy powder, or something liquid? What's the nutrition data and ingredient list?

1/2 an hour 2 days a week probably isn't enough to maximize his progress. He will probably benefit best from about 3 days a week of progressive compound lifts with a barbell. The trainer should teach him to squat, deadlift, standing press, bench press, and power clean, and then you won't need to pay him any more (assuming your son is mathematically capable of adding 5 to other numbers all by himself).

Save the money you're spending on a trainer and buy him a copy of Starting Strength, Basic Barbell Training, 3rd Edition by Mark Rippetoe. And let him eat.
    i'd keep the trainer until he gains more confidence, and knowledge on proper lifting form

also, food is good. steak, chicken, fish, liver, veggies and fruit
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Question 1
    Question: is there anything wrong with him eating whole foods as protein sources? (eggs, meat, fish etc). Is there a budget constraint? (teenage boys can eat HUGE amounts of food...)

Question 2
    He trains hard with his trainer 2x a week. I have read different things that training everyday is not good for him at all
    Yep, that's correct. The 'training' is actually hurting you, it's on your rest days that your body heals and actually grows muscles.

, however I go to the gym myself almost everyday for cardio
    [QUOTE=jeffmom;1241042]
    If you enjoy it then that's fine I guess, but there's little point to 'chronic cardio' in terms of health benefits.

Mark has done a couple of posts about the subject. Please don't take that as an attack or anything.

Is it ok for him to workout everyday if he isn't working the same muscle group?
    Yep, as long as he is intentionally 'resting' the muscles that got worked out on previous days.

I understand doing cardio when your trying to build muscle is counter productive so he refuses to do more than 10minutes cardio on any day. He really has a goal of looking different when school starts up again in two months and I hate to tell him he can't go to the gym everyday when I do it myself...any suggestions?

Thanks so much for any help or advise you can give!!!!

Jeff's mom
    Yay for your son and yay for you.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello For a bit of background, I work out 6 days a week. I lift weights 5 days a week, do yoga once a week and also do HIIT sprints twice a week. I also play tennis a few times a week for about 1-2 hours each time.

Speaking from experience, I've found that whey protein is good as a protein powder, but that its fairly useless for soreness. Instead of using the protein powder, get him a recovery drink (and not the gatorade crap). I use Rivalus Post-RX. If your trainer is wanting him to get extra protein in through the protein powder, mix it in with a recovery drink, but the recovery drink is a must. Also, for any areas that are sore/ stiff, use a tennis ball and massage/roll it over the sore areas. Its going to hurt, but it works.
    As for the amount of protein powder, I'd listen to what the product says. There's a reason its there. Is the protein powder flavored? If so, I'd suggest not using milk, and using water instead.

As for training, what is he doing when he's with his trainer? Weights, cardio, body weight exercises, etc? Training everyday isn't a bad thing, as long as you're smart about it. Here is what my training week looks like.
    Monday: Back and Chest, Abs
    Tuesday: 25 minutes of HIIT on a treadmill, elliptical, or sprinting outside. I do one minute sprints, with a one minute rest. If I'm doing that at the gym with the equipment, I also do squats with a barbell or EZ curl bar on my back (don't have a Smith Machine), and some Rear Foot Elevated Split Squats with the same barbell.
    Wednesday: Shoulders, Arms (biceps, triceps and forearms), Abs
    Thursday: Same workout as on tuesday.
    Friday: Leg workout, Abs
    Saturday: roughly 45 minutes of intense yoga (I use the P90X Version. Only do half of it because I get bored half way through)

Like I said, training every day isn't a bad thing, as long as you stay away from the muscle groups that you used the day before. They each need 48 hours to grow and repair themselves. That being said, legs are about the only muscle group that can be worked every day. I'd just advise to not go too crazy on it. I'm only in the gym for 20-30 minutes when I lift, but I only do a few sets of each exercise at my max, so by the time I leave, my body is shaking and I'm sweating.

Cardio also doesn't slow down or harm your progress in muscle building. That being said, high amounts of cardio also isn't a good thing. If he wants to do cardio, make it worth his while. HIIT takes way less time, and produces way more results that constant cardio, and trust me, it kills.

I also agree with the others. A lot of the progress you make with training is nutrition based, so I think reading up more about paleo/primal will only help him along.

Your son is very lucky to have a mother like you

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12