Thread: Newbie with a lot of questions!!! page

wsenft is offline Junior Member

Newbie with a lot of questions!!!

Shop Now
    HI! My name is Will and I am from Virginia. I am a single father of two beautiful children. I am 30yo and 5'7" 308lbs. I have been diagnosed with hypoglycemia and have had sleep apnea for 15 years, and honestly I am scared out of my mind. I have been overweight for more then half my life and no matter how hard I have tried to eat better or exercise I have never been able to shed the pounds. It has become a point in my life where I no longer have a choice.

Now that I have been diagnosed with hypoglycemia I have to change everything about my diet and my daily routines. I work two jobs so exercise does not come easy. I have a gym membership and tend to go to the gym 4-5 times a week (only been two weeks since I started). I usually go at night. I tend to do about 45 minutes on the elliptical, 15 mins on a bike, and lift weights. I dont tend to have a lot of free time and preparing meals becomes almost impossible with the little time I have available. Finding healthy food choices on the go is starting to seem even more impossible. So I guess here are my questions:

1. Breakfast is the hardest meal for me, is there any great choices for someone constantly on the run?

2. I usually hit up the local supermarket for their salad bar, other then spinach, peppers and going light on the dressing, is there other good items I can include?

3. My DR suggest me stay at 15 carbs a meal (3 meals a day ) and 60 carbs total per day (including two snacks) I am not always hungry enough to eat that much during the day but is that low of a number even possible with just 3 meals? Any suggestions on meals to make that number possible?

4. Finally is there any other exercises that I am missing out on that can help me with this journey?

The fears of letting my health fall apart and not being able to provide and be there for my children are scaring me. I want to change my life around and be there to watch my children grow up and have children of their own. This destructive path of mine has to stop and from what I have read thus far on this site, this is a good place to start!!!

Thank You for your time,

Will

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    hi Will,welcome.
    how low is your blood sugar generally?
    60 carbs is the same as my daily portion, so yes, it is possible and enjoyable to be honest. The carbs i eat with meals are vegetable in origin; the carbs in my snacks are generally low GI fruits,
    I'm not a breakfast person so for me its usually cold sausage (cooked in advance so i can grab and go) and tomato
    snack-fruit, for me apricots,peach or nectarine
    lunch - meat,fish or egg salad
    dinner- meat or fish with cooked veg
    evening snack - fruit, often berries or cherries
    i tend to eat for enjoyment as much as possible so incorporate as much of my favourites as I can.
    i hope it works for you - it has for me
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

I am not 100% sure as to what my blood sugar is, I know I went to the dr cause it spiked at 188, he did a glucos test and said that it was low and that I was hypoglycemic and I needed to change my diet immediately before I ended up a diabetic.

Is there certain meats I should avoid? I know I dont want to eat a big piece of fat, but are there ones I should try to steer clear of? Also I have read a lot of things that said stay away from veggies like corn, peas, carrots, etc. No one really specifies as to what veggies are still good!

this is a very useful list (1st link below)and will be a good starting point helping you select your food. Avoid highly processed foods eg choose good high meat content sausage not cheap stuff filled with chemicals.
    with regard to veggies- avoid corn as its a grain not veg, peas are a legume not a veg so should be avoided-I occasionally est them though as i love them but they are higher carb. carrots are good
    don't feel compelled to eat high fat but don't be afraid of it. its helpful when you give up grain based foods and makes the transition to low carb easier
    Primal Blueprint Shopping List | Mark's Daily Apple

this is a useful read on diabetes and will help you understand why to avoid some things
    The Definitive Guide to Insulin, Blood Sugar & Type 2 Diabetes (and you’ll understand it) | Mark's Daily Apple

join something like this http://www.fitday.com free but really helps work out carbs

this is a list of useful articles for beginners -browse through them http://www.marksdailyapple.com/prima...#axzz2Xukb9hGh

its good you've caught this trend into diabetes now as you do have time to change and build a healthy life that you and the children deserve. your Dr also seems pretty on the ball and his advice is sound.
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 07-02-2013 at 12:07 PM.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'

Thank You for all your advice and the links, I will start reading this stuff immediately!!! The nurse at my dr's office told me that she has the same thing and she did exactly what they are telling me to do and it helped. They just didn't describe everything I can and can't eat (I know I need to do that on my own). This is just a huge transition from what I am used to and I don't want to mess it up! Again thank you for your help it means a lot.

I'm already diabetic so further along the path but its worked incredibly well for me- 60 days in and blood sugar is normal, 70lbs lost and cancer improving.
    you can do this too but avoid grains like the plague, all of it-cereals, flour, processed foods bread,cake,cookies. that's the biggest thing you can do for yourself honestly. Its a big change but isn't as hard as it sounds but do get those 60 carbs of veg/fruit in -don't go lower- it really is unnecessary and unhelpful.

Congrats on getting your levels under control, hearing what you have said is very motivating. It's crazy that most people just tell me to stop drinking sodas (that part was easy), switch to Whole Wheat bread. Then as I have done research I seen it go to 1 Slice a day to none ever!!! That part isn't really a big deal either. Like you I usually don't eat breakfast but my reasoning is I am always tired and in a rush first thing in the morning. I'm hoping that improves too. In reading all of this it seems that the protein bars are a bad idea too, or am i reading to much into it?

some people like them but I've removed as many additives as possible from my diet because of the cancer controlling aspect of my nutrition so eat very little commercially manufactured food. I also have a tendency to keep going back so if I bought a couple of bars (or more) I'd no doubt get into the whole "I'll just have one more" thing until I've scoffed the lot! I don't dig myself holes to fall into any more
    I'd rather have a nice sausage

That's a very good point. I have had the same issue before when I tried to diet. I have tried to diet before by just watching how many calories I ate, and worked out a lot for 6 months straight with no improvement. I'm sure it had a lot to do with the breads and such. This time however I am more serious and dedicated to getting healthy! My daughter is being very supportive and going on walks with me. That means the world to me too. Hopefully these healthy habits will stay with her as well. After seeing your signature saying you lost those 73lbs it is an inspiration to move forward and to try and do better. I am very glad I found this site!!!

its been a lifesaver for me and I consider myself lucky to have dropped into this site and its information just when I needed it most.
    the weight loss due to low carb has been unbelievable -I've gone down 6 clothes sizes in 60 days. i've dieted many times before but never had a result like this and have always been tormented by hunger before but not now.
    more amazing though is I feel superb and have loads of energy. mentally I feel wonderful- no diet depression or sluggishness.