Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Canada! page

Altair is offline Junior Member

Hello from Canada!

Hello! I'm Mallory, 22 years old, from a small town in central Ontario, Canada.

I'm here because its time for a change. After three years of antidepressants, which resulted in a 60 pound weight gain in six months (took most of that off, but then put some of it back on), and 10 years on birth control which can't be helping, I've decided its time to take control of my health.

I'm 5'10.5", and weigh approximately 220 pounds. Thankfully, I carry it reasonably well. I'm in alright physical shape; I couldn't run a marathon, but I've got a decent amount of muscular strength and cardio from riding my horse Altair three to five times a week. While I know it'd be nice for me to trim up, and get into better cardiovascular shape, my big worry right now is my health. A family history of diabetes, cancers, and heart disease means I'd better watch out.

So here I am, after a friend's suggestion to try this primal lifestyle. As a student of biological anthropology and human evolutionary genetics, I can appreciate looking back to our past to find the answers for our future. I look forward to get started, but I'll need some help in the form of motivation and the occasional butt-kicking. That's why I'm here!

Sol blackcat is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    Hello! I'm Mallory, 22 years old, from a small town in central Ontario, Canada.

I'm here because its time for a change. After three years of antidepressants, which resulted in a 60 pound weight gain in six months (took most of that off, but then put some of it back on), and 10 years on birth control which can't be helping, I've decided its time to take control of my health.

I'm 5'10.5", and weigh approximately 220 pounds. Thankfully, I carry it reasonably well. I'm in alright physical shape; I couldn't run a marathon, but I've got a decent amount of muscular strength and cardio from riding my horse Altair three to five times a week. While I know it'd be nice for me to trim up, and get into better cardiovascular shape, my big worry right now is my health. A family history of diabetes, cancers, and heart disease means I'd better watch out.

So here I am, after a friend's suggestion to try this primal lifestyle. As a student of biological anthropology and human evolutionary genetics, I can appreciate looking back to our past to find the answers for our future. I look forward to get started, but I'll need some help in the form of motivation and the occasional butt-kicking. That's why I'm here!
    Hi mallory, welcome and I'm sure you'll do fine here. Lots of help here as I have found. Good luck. Did you misprint your age or your years on birth control?

Quote Originally Posted by Sol blackcat View Post
    Hi mallory, welcome and I'm sure you'll do fine here. Lots of help here as I have found. Good luck. Did you misprint your age or your years on birth control?
    Nope, legitimately been on it since I was 12. I had extremely bad cramping to the point of requiring hospitalization for a long time. Thankfully now, being off the pill, I'm noticing it isn't so bad. I just try and exercise/get out and do things when I know I'll be in pain.

Sol blackcat is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    Nope, legitimately been on it since I was 12. I had extremely bad cramping to the point of requiring hospitalization for a long time. Thankfully now, being off the pill, I'm noticing it isn't so bad. I just try and exercise/get out and do things when I know I'll be in pain.
    Well good for you. Wishing you all the best. I've only been here two minutes and I love it. Hope you do too.

Britt is offline Senior Member
    Welcome!

When I went off hormonal birth control it was like a fog lifted and I felt so much better. Having already been primal prior to that, it was amazing to feel so alive for once.

I'm sure you'll find all sorts of support and reading material here.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love and something to hope for." - Allan K. Chalmers (1759-1834)

Thank you all for the warm welcome

happybunny is offline Member
    Oh, you just missed joining on Canada Day! Now I can't sing "Oh, Canada" to you!

I hope that primal/paleo helps with your reproductive issues... I've had good luck with it helping regulate my periods and decreasing greasy skin. I was only on BC about 1.5 years, but I've had three regular periods without it now, so I'm hopeful, and you should be too

Welcome Mallory, its nice to see someone else on here that's my age (and Canadian too!).

I can tell you from personal experience that being primal works wonders... I was diagnosed with endometriosis about 3 years ago. I was in pain daily, and on my worst days it was to the point that I could barely get out of bed. I've had 2 surgeries and have been through numerous bouts of medications (including every birth control and pretty much every pain killer out there). Within 3 weeks of being fully primal, I could barely feel a twinge of pain.

My family also has a long history of cancer (4 kinds, plus brain tumors), and diabetes. The difference is though, that you're looking to do something to prevent it, which I've found lots of people aren't willing to do. Once the bad habits form, they go into denial and try to take the shortcut route, and that's only if they decide that there is something wrong/ something they should do.

Everyone on the forums is extremely welcoming and helpful, and I'm sure many people will give you the little push if you ever need it. Feel free to message me if you want any more info or to talk more

You guys are awesome! Such an encouraging group! I can't wait to share my journey with everyone, and learn more about your own successes with being primal.

haagp is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Mallory! I just signed up too... I have been on antidepressants too for about 4 years for panic attacks and just stopped taking them. I've gained 40lbs and it wasn't until this week and some research I clued in that it was probably from those pills. I have been exercising and eating pretty good (most of the time!). Did you find it easier to lose weight once you stopped taking them?

Wishing you all the best!!

Fellow Canadian...Paula

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast