Thread: For weight loss, walking or breakfast first? page

secret agent girl is offline Senior Member

For weight loss, walking or breakfast first?

Primal Fuel
    I really need to get some weight loss going! Have about 50 lbs to get rid off. I won't sacrifice my health for it, but I believe that leaves a big range of things I could do.

For example, most days I go for a 45-minute walk. Do you think it makes a difference to
    walk, then eat breaky
    *or*
    breakfast, then walk (with this order I'd wait at least 30 min. between the 2)

Additional, more general thoughts on maximizing weight loss for a 50 y.o., post-menopausal, 50 lb overweight woman?

Please include your age (and sex if it ain't obvious); this thread can be a resource to all, but I believe I'll be most helped by other post-M women who were about as overweight as I'm starting out. Or an expert on such, I s'pose...

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I am female, 38 yo in September. I was overweight after pregnancy and struggled with my weight ever since. I am not menopausal yet, but gain fat easily. I really want to get my body under control before I hit meno! I am not overweight now, but gaining & want to lose a little and then stabilize.

I feel the best if I do cardio before breakfast - swim or walk or run. I find that it actually kills the first thing in the morning hunger, and I do not eat until it builds up again. Ideally, I want to eat one light meal somewhere between 10 and 2 pm, and a heavy dinner. But there are days when I can't do that.

I also prefer then delay food for at least couple of hours after the BM to give digestion the time to relax.

Ideally, I want my system to have as long a break from food as possible and as good as sleep as possible, which for me means not being hungry at night. I also came to the conclusion that after a certain age and when there is no lifestyle involved that allows for 5-7 hours of movement a day out of doors, eating 3 meals a day is too much. Given all the historical examples, lunch and dinner or dinner only seem to be a prevalent food pattern.

Also, cycling calories with minimal food for 2-3 days and then eating hearty for a day seem to be helpful.

It pays a big time to find your primary satiation mechanism, as a person who fills up on proteins and carbs will end up ravenous on high fats and vice versa.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent girl View Post
    I really need to get some weight loss going! Have about 50 lbs to get rid off. I won't sacrifice my health for it, but I believe that leaves a big range of things I could do.

For example, most days I go for a 45-minute walk. Do you think it makes a difference to
    walk, then eat breaky
    *or*
    breakfast, then walk (with this order I'd wait at least 30 min. between the 2)
    Probably won't make any noticeable difference at all, assuming you're consuming the same amount of calories throughout the day in both situations. What's more important is which one you prefer to do.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    I'm a 56 year old female. I am perpetually peri-menopausal, on HRT, and longing to be post-menopausal. I walk first thing in the morning starting between 6:30- 7:00. I generally don't eat breakfast until 10. If I do several miles I might have a banana right after.

I have hormone issues and am hypothyroid. I could not lose weight until my hormones were optimized and my body had time to heal.

You might want to consider getting a physical and the following tests done:
    1. Vitamin D
    2. Ferritin
    3. Fasting blood sugar, HbA1c
    4. Thyroid- TSH, free T4, free T3
    5. Sex hormones--estradiol,progesterone, testosterone

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    im diabetic and was reading some recent research that indicates walking immediately after eating has a big impact on insulin resistance and fat loss. they recommend 15 mins after each meal. i started a trial of it yesterday so have no anecdotal opinion as yet but the research was pretty interesting and convincing enough to try it
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

tomi is online now Senior Member
    I'm no expert - but I am 53 (in 3 weeks), post-menopausal (for 2 years), hypothyroid, have fibromyalgia, and am currently 185 - seeking 135 - so, yes - 50 pounds to lose. I started eating a primal diet at 206 pounds in November of 2011 - so my weight loss has been slow - but that's the best way to do it. A couple times I hit 178 - but bounced right back into the low 180s after a couple days. My body is stubborn to give up its fat stores. Eating strictly primal completely controls my fibromyalgia symptoms and makes life much more enjoyable!!!

I have found my best success doing a whole30, and VERY low carb. Although some people on this forum say VLC is detrimental to hypothyroidism. My doc has not cautioned me against it. If you are not yet familiar with whole30 here is link.

If you want a really good low impact, low cost and extremely convenient exercise option try this. You can get an online subscription for only $15 a month.

How long have you been doing a primal diet?
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

Kegas76 is offline Senior Member
    Just cover all your bases. Walk, eat and then walk again.

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    I am 58, and have been post-menopausal for years. I exercise in the morning and I routinely skip breakfast.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I am 42, and have not had menopause. I exercise throughout the day and just eat dinner.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kegas76 View Post
    Just cover all your bases. Walk, eat and then walk again.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082