Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: School Student Going Primal - Need Advice page 2

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Yum, great breakfast.

I tried these muffins : Paleo Cornbread Muffins (Cornless Cornbread!) - Empowered Sustenance

Would be improved by addition of lemon and cinnamon or some other such flavour, imo.

You can just lay a slice of bacon in the muffin pan, break in a whole egg and bake till done.

Cheesy bread is also yum. Recipe here: http://www.livingthenourishedlife.co...y-bread-recipe It also works even better without the yoghurt. And I would put it on a greased tray because it sticks to baking paper.
    Last edited by Annieh; 07-02-2013 at 07:48 PM.

Hey X,

Being a college student, I get the time constraints. I would always cook 3 fried eggs for breakfast, and either buy a "protein salad" which had hard boiled eggs, sandwich meat and cheese on it, or bring a can of tuna with some mayo and veggies to mix in. Hard boiled eggs are a god send though. If you dont have a lot of time in the mornings, boil a dozen eggs one night and then you have breakfast for a few days if you take a couple of those and some fruit with you.

As for the muffins, you can search egg muffins online, but I have a breakfast casserole I make lots (made one this morning actually!), and you can easily put it into muffin tins instead of a 9X13 pan.

12 eggs
    2 bunches green onions, finely chopped
    3 cups finely sliced mushrooms
    4 cups milk (I use 2%)
    roughly 2 cups shredded cheese (I use marble)

Cook the green onions and mushrooms in a pan with butter or olive oil. Whisk all eggs together in a large bowl, then whisk in the milk and the rest of the ingredients. Once whisked together, pour into pan or muffin tins. I bake the casserole on 375 for about 40-45 minutes, but if its in muffin tins, bake them for about 20-25. If you want to check that they're done, stick a knife into the middle of one (preferably one in the middle of the tray), and if the knife comes out clean, then its done.
    Note: Sometimes I'll throw in whatever leftover meat I have too. Its pretty versatile for whatever you have on hand.

PrimalStudentX is offline Junior Member
    Nearly 4 kilos gone in 6 days!!!! Your suggestions have been awesome! Thanks so much guys.

HelenLouise is offline Senior Member
    Great job X, keep up the good work. Wish I knew all this stuff at your age!

fcby9 is offline Senior Member
    That's wonderful, X! I'm a Primal college student, too, and the one thing I would advise above anything is to have patience with yourself. I maintain a primarily ketogenic diet, but you can totally do this without depriving yourself of desserts or other things you might crave. My favorite dessert is frozen blueberries with coconut milk. I mash it all up in a mug and it has a sorbet/ice cream consistency. So yummy, and it quenches my sweet cravings immediately.

If you're genuinely hungry, the first thing you should reach for is a combination of protein and fat, like steak/eggs with butter and bacon, etc.

IF is your friend to expedite weight loss, although it sounds like you're doing really well already on the weight loss front. I IF during lunch throughout the week. During the weekend I tend to snack a little more, but everything I eat is Primal-friendly. (Seed oils inevitably find themselves in food when I sparingly choose to dine out.)

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Everyone has given you such great suggestions. One thing that's good for me when I'm busy is to hard boil a half to a whole dozen eggs. This way, if I've had such a long day that cooking seems like a chore, I grab a few of those and a salt shaker and that's dinner. They're also portable, but I'd put them in a baggie so people don't keep looking at you wondering where that sulfur smell is coming from.

Make-ahead eggs can be any combination of eggs/meat/veggies you like. If you bake these in muffin tins and freeze them, you can either reheat them in a microwave, or take them with you and eat them at room temp later in the day. They defrost quickly and don't have to be hot to taste good.

Nearly 4 kilos gone in 6 days!!!!
    Nice work! (Oh to be young again, and able to lose eight pounds in six days!) Keep on keepin' on!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

PrimalStudentX is offline Junior Member
    The suggestions have been phenomenal! Thanks for all the feedback and piece of mind. Finding it hard to come up with a dinner meal to have with the parents seeing as they are non-paleo and want me to get regular checkups with the doc to make sure my cholesterol and what not are all good. Very skeptical and worried people they are. So any dinner meals? Was thinking stuffed capsicum/peppers with mushroom cheese herbs and whatnot, do share your great experiences

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Recipes | Mark's Daily Apple - 65 pages of primal recipes. Also, try the Recipes forum.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Groking Around is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudentX View Post
    The suggestions have been phenomenal! Thanks for all the feedback and piece of mind. Finding it hard to come up with a dinner meal to have with the parents seeing as they are non-paleo and want me to get regular checkups with the doc to make sure my cholesterol and what not are all good. Very skeptical and worried people they are. So any dinner meals? Was thinking stuffed capsicum/peppers with mushroom cheese herbs and whatnot, do share your great experiences
    Keep in mind that as you are losing weight your blood lipids may look a little wacky as you're pulling from your own fat stores. So a blood lipid test is probably not going to be too valuable until after you've reached your goal weight and stabilized for a little while. This is just from what I recently heard in one of Chris Kresser's podcasts with Chris Masterjohn as a guest (I think it was the second or third installment with the two of them).

As for advice, stick with whole, real foods. Avoid the processed stuff and refined grains/sugars. Make sure you're eating adequate protein/fat, plenty of veggies and a little bit of fruit should be fine. Personally, I make a lot of stirfrys with some meat/veg or roast veggies in the oven, etc. There are plenty of primal meals that should be fine with CW parents. I also really like coconut products ie. coconut oil, coconut butter, coconut milk, avocados are great too with eggs or meat and veggies. Honestly just sautee some veggies in a pan with some oil, cook up some meat and you're good to go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12