Thread: Underground coal miner from Australia page

AQUAQ is offline Junior Member

Underground coal miner from Australia

Shop Now
    Evening all,
    Just having a look at this primal type diet to HELP combat the coal dust and diesel particulates (cancer causing) I breathe in for 10 hrs a day 6 months of the year.
    38yr old male, only have dairy in coffee/tea or sometimes cereal, USED to do Muay Thai (kickboxing) 4-6 days a week for excersise but stopped 2.5 years ago now. Was looking into my first Crossfit session for yesterday but have developed Morton's Neurosis due to tight fitting steel cap gum boots (Wellingtons) and can't wear anything but thongs (flip flops) or my larger size work boots.
    I now have my feet to deal with for excersise and camp food to deal with while away at work. I try to eat as natural as possible with what work provides ie: salads, veggies and fruit but, all the curries and sauce covered meats do make it difficult. Can't wait to have a good read here and get started on a healthier lifestyle and get this extra 4.5kg (10lb) off and be back to my 35-36yr old body and be more active with my kids.

Cheers, Scott

mike is offline Senior Member
    Hi Scott - welcome to the club. Sounds like your food choices are pretty limited, especially in the meat category. but I can't believe that in a camp full of coal miners that there isn't a barbecue or two around... and maybe an odd kangaroo hoppin' around??

cheers
    Mike

Bifcus is offline Senior Member
    Hi Scott,

There are other Aussies here, despite the numbers of northern hemisphere dwellers.

Have you tried massaging the heck out of your calves to deal with that neuroma? The muscles that control your feet are in your calves. So getting in there and working your thumbs into your calf muscles will help to loosen them up and speed up recovery. Let me know if you want some ideas on how to do that. Just take it easy to start with or you'll bruise yourself.

Good luck,

and nice to see you around.

AQUAQ is offline Junior Member
    Hahaha Mike there are a lot of roo's around here, as a matter of fact one of my crew rolled his car today swerving for one! He's ok but car is a total wreck now. This camp is the first camp I've been in with no BBQ's, little unaustralian if you ask me.

Bifcus, I have fairly strong calves from training on my toes for years and for someone who is 174cm (5.7ft) they are larger than a lot of other guys, maybe the lack of training has weakened them too much? I have 4 days left of this tour before I head home, I think I may have to visit one of the dozens of Chinese massage clinics in my area. Do you recommend a deep tissue massage on the calves and soles of my feet? These electric shocks under my toes are starting to drive me nuts! I just want to train and try Crossfit...

Cheers, Scott

mike is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AQUAQ View Post
    Hahaha Mike there are a lot of roo's around here, as a matter of fact one of my crew rolled his car today swerving for one! He's ok but car is a total wreck now. This camp is the first camp I've been in with no BBQ's, little unaustralian if you ask me.

Cheers, Scott
    Oh s**t, the make you guys run on salad bars and currys?? Better organize a strike until they install you a proper BBQ, man.

Bifcus is offline Senior Member
    Hi Scott,

It is likely a deep tissue massage would help. Find a sports massage person when you get home, and learn from them so you can self massage when you are at camp. I am not a fan of those chinese massage joints that are appearing everywhere. True chinese massage (Tui na) is a solid traditional therapy, but I suspect these new shops just give their staff some minimal in house 'training' without the background in anatomy etc.

disclosure: I am a retired massage therapist amongst other skills.