Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autopilot page

steven.kelly is online now Senior Member

Autopilot

Primal Fuel
    Hey,

From a personal viewpoint it's amazing the mental transformation I've made.

What I mean is being able to autopilot with this lifestyle. I no longer have to make a conscious effort to eat healthy, it just happens, the types of food I eat and meals I make are just so ingrained in me now I never have a second thought of, "oh ill have some pasta or pizza etc." It's hard to imagine how I used to eat and I've only just realised that this autopilot happens and that makes me very happy!

Does anyone else find this or still struggle at all?

P.S. I do cheat sometimes but it's conscious and it's with my partner, I make an exception for her to share stuff etc.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Well, except for the concept of cheating, yes, autopilot is a very good way to put it. One day it just wasn't a struggle. If there is ever a non-primal food in my home, it's one serving of something I've decided to eat just because I want it. I don't think of it as cheating, because there's really no one to cheat.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

smartuko is offline Senior Member
    I don't even consider non-primal food to be real food. I simply have no desire to "cheat".

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    I enjoy the "autopilot" term, because it may help me to explain to some people how I do what I do. I have found that there are a lot of things that are considered hardcore that aren't that at all anymore. They are just "What I do."

I have a hard time explaining that it's not that I am "resisting a temptation" to eat an entire pizza or a box of donuts....it's that for my palate, that food is not very desirable for me. Add to that the lethargy I get if I eat heavily processed carbs (a donut is like a sleeping pill for me), and there is very little to overcome. It's like something that happened lately that my friend had to REMIND me was not normal for people to do.

We were both invited to a colleagues house for a dinner party. She showed up with a homemade lasagna (amazing but sleepy time for me), a box of Swiss chocolates, and garlic bread.....I showed up with a 10 gallon stewpot of Osso Buko (I used lamb shank) and a grass-fed beef stew with bone and filled marrows still in it for stock flavoring.

I never really thought to take them out. It is just normal for me to eat food with cow femurs floating in it....I take them out and scoop out the marrow as a side dish. I'd made it for myself and had too much leftover. It never occurred to me that this would appall my hosts.

Host:"What is that!?!?" (In a loud voice, pointing at the dark red floaties in my amazing stew)
    Me: "Oh, that's marrow. I dislodge some of it to ensure the stock takes it on better. The better tasting stuff is in the bones, here."

Autopilot? Ahahaha

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smartuko View Post
    I don't even consider non-primal food to be real food. I simply have no desire to "cheat".
    Same here. It takes a conscious decision on my part to eat something non primal. I have to actually choose to do so.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    It takes a conscious decision on my part to eat something non primal. I have to actually choose to do so.
    exactly. we don't buy stuff that isn't primal/paleo, so it's not in the house. I mean, yeah we have good ice cream maybe once every week or two. but we go to the local place or only buy a pint, so its immediately gone. and yeah, we go out to dinner like once a month, or a ton while on vacation, but we still eat paleo/primal foods at the restaurants. we were just away for 4 days, and every single meal was eaten at a restaurant. breakfast was always omelettes with plenty of meat and veggies, and sides of potatoes. lunches were salads with grilled proteins. dinners were meat/seafood/ veggies, salads, etc. yeah, we drank some booze and had some ice cream, but that's called living.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    My old food wasn't selected for its great taste or satiety, but since my family didn't cook I was sincerely at a loss of how to survive without frozen convenience foods and restaurants. After a proper plate of roast beef and sweet potato there was no looking back really. The only real "cost" is the foreplanning--I don't eat spontaneously but even that was stressful. I prefer to have Mon-Fri sorted so I can think about other things.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

CaveBug is offline Senior Member
    Autopilot, I like that, good word for it. And I never noticed it until very recently.

I have been having about a month of pretty solid paleo, which is a long time for me, and despite my roommates leaving SAD food everywhere I wasn't eating it. And it wasn't that I was longing for it but forcing myself not to. I have a history of very low control over food, if I see something that looks tasty I eat it. Period.

Then I ended up having a bowl of steel cut oats one night and it tasted like nothing! I had to put sugar on it and then I was just thinking "it's sweet, that's all it tastes like, just sweet...where's the bacon?"

peril is offline Senior Member
    The best apart about this lifestyle is the lack of urgency associated with food. If there is good food I eat it. If there isn't, I avoid it, or only eat a little to be polite.

This is something that confuses the hell out of my wife. She lived for two decades with this carbophile who needed to eat by a certain time of the evening and who would protest if there weren't "enough" carbs in the meal. Now she looks at what she views as my constricted diet, ignoring her own dietary constraints, such as no offal, no visible animal fat, limited seafood and limited vegetables and says I have to choose any restaurant because I'm the one who's likely not to find something I can and want to eat. The missing bit for her is that if there is nothing I can eat (hasn't happened yet) then I can easily miss the meal
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Autopilot here too. It doesn't feel even slightly restrictive, it's all the good parts and none of the filler!

I wish I had friends that would bring a stew like the one Lazerus made over to my house. It seems like a lot of our friends are vegetarians (or they don't eat red meat) and when they come over I have to remember to have something on hand for them, we always have plenty of veggies and fruit, but not much in the way of snacks or veggie protein.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast