Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Foods that are of need, and those that are not. page

Longevity is offline Member

Foods that are of need, and those that are not.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What foods are in your list of foods you will not live without and why? Looking for the healthy foods that you live with and why.
    What are the foods you will live without and why?

Thank you for your input!!

I need help in refining what I eat. I want to continue to eat cleaner and need help moving forward.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Diet plan for healthy eating:
    -1 staple fat source. Choose something you like, that's the right price, the highest quality you can get and that you can incorporate into your meals/day for fat energy. Mine, for example, is butter.
    -1 staple carb source. Ditto. Something you like that suits your needs. Mine is potatoes.
    -Protein. Keep your protein sources varied.
    -Nutrients. Eat nutrient-dense foods. Favour granny-smiths over golden-delicious, blueberries over strawberries, sweet potatoes over potatoes and spinach and seaweed over lettuce.

Keep your food sources healthy, too. For example, tahini or almonds as your main fat aren't good, due to O6 content. Good as a secondary or tertiary fat, but you want your main one to be saturated and/or O3 high.

Eat whatever you want around that, but make sure that, if your fat is low, you add your fat source and, if your carbs are low, add your carb source to anything you can.

For macros:

Calculate your basic protein needs Protein Needs Calculator - Online Protein Calculator (I know these calculators aren't right and that everyone's body is different, but it's to give you an idea). Multiply your weight in pounds by 1.5 if female and 2 if male. That is the upper-end of the protein you can safely consume. Experiment and find your place in that range.
    My range:
    51-211g protein.
    Where I'm at my best:
    90-110g protein.
    Where I am now (very intense and active life):
    174g protein.

For energy, ignore the kcal content of protein. Unless you want to go ketogenic, protein isn't much of a kcal source. Work out how many kcals you run on, discounting protein. If you want to lose weight, reduce it to three quarters of that.
    So, my current total kcals:
    2413kcal.
    Subtracted amount from protein:
    2413 - (174 * 4) =
    2413 - 696 = 1717kcal for maintenance.
    1717 / 4 = 429 * 3 = 1287kcal for loss.

Then start with 50% from fat, 50% from carbs.
    Maintenance: 1717 / 2 = 858.5
    858.5 / 4 = 214.6g carbs.
    858.5 / 9 = 95.4g fat.
    Loss: 1287 / 2 = 643.5
    643.5 / 4 = 160.9g carbs.
    643.5 / 9 = 71.5g fat.

Then tweak and adjust until it feels right.

As far as WHERE your food comes from:
    -Look to your phenotypical heritage (in other words: what ethnicity from your background do you most resemble?) or the most recent traditional diet you family has eaten (say, your grandmother may have been Swedish and consumed a traditional Swedish diet of meat, fish, seafood, roots and berries). One or the other will give you foodsources you're more likely to be adapted to.
    -Omit any non-traditional food sources, at least briefly, to see if they have an effect on you.
    -Eat the best quality whole foods you can find/afford.
    -Eat as seasonally as possible.

Combine both and you've have an excellent starting-point to diet from.
    Last edited by Kochin; 07-02-2013 at 02:16 AM.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    If you want a less complicated method:
    -Look at what your ancestors ate.
    -Eliminate true allergens and recent foods. Limit anything that doesn't have an equivalent in your ancestral diet or that simply wouldn't have been consumed in large amounts by any human.
    -Eat what you feel like, bearing in mind the above.
    -Work-out in a way you find pleasant.
    -If you unintentionally gain weight, do more exercise, fast, play with your macros or eat less.
    -If you unintentionally lose weight, eat more.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Longevity View Post
    What foods are in your list of foods you will not live without and why? Looking for the healthy foods that you live with and why.

My 4 would be :

Coconut oil (fat & for body)
    Eggs (good nutrition all rounder)
    Beef bones (for broth)
    Seasonal Green vegetables

London

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    My take on this:

What foods are in your list of foods you will not live without and why?
    Well, it is NOT me deciding this. I need some foods to be able to live, and if I had to I would eat junk as well if nothing else. I won't start digesting stones just because I want it ...

Same here, can't say.

All I can say is : it is much better to eat real foods with low to no toxic shit, than the opposite. But in the end, you eat what what you can get your hands on. If you have the choice, eat the foods with the lowest toxicity and highest nutrition.

Mikee5 is online now Senior Member
    Fruit and starch. I don't care for fat any more, it is useless for my energy needs. I just eat some for satiation. You're not going to find people here that are as high carb as me but anyway these are my foods of need:

Bananas. Great source of energy and very nutritious.
    Potatoes/white rice. Starch! Good for my workouts and energy needs.
    Any type of high sugar fruit. Grapes, watermelon, apples.
    Protein, in the form of meat or eggs.
    Raw vegetables are great snacks and packed with nutrients.
    Fish for a good omega 3 source.

Annieh is offline Senior Member

Foods I do eat and why: Eggs, eggs, eggs. Very satisfying, taste good, easy to prepare, inexpensive, readily available. Meat, veges, butter, fruit - delicious, wholesome and full of nutritional value. Make me feel alive and well. Also I love to eat chocolate

Foods I don't eat and why : Wheat and other grains, processed and packaged products, seed oils and products containing them - these non-primal items are the ones that when i stopped eating them I started to feel a whole lot better and healthier, and easily lost the weight that I needed to. I also try not to eat a lot of sugar, in order to avoid the shakes and cravings and broken sleep that seem to happen when I do.

Thanks everyone. I was looking for the food to stay away from and to refine my diet. Thank you.

The more we can share and know/understand the better/healthier we will all be!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast