Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fat, Protein and Carb ratios - what should I aim for? page

Sue991 is offline Member

Fat, Protein and Carb ratios - what should I aim for?

I've been trying Primal for just over two weeks now and I'm not sure what percentages I should be aiming for for the fat, protein and carb ratio. Is there a definite percentage? I know under 50g of carbs to lose weight but today I've got 54% fat, 24% carbs (49.4g), protein 21%.

Is my fat to protein ratio OK?

Thanks a lot.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Carbs are too high, fats are too low. Raise fats to 70-80% and drop carbs down to 10%.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Chunster495 is offline Member
    If I'm doing the math correct, looks like you're also eating way to little. If your carb ratio is 25% at 50gs, that means you're getting only like 800 cals a day...

As far as ratios goes, carbs does seem a bit high, and fats could be increased. I don't know if you need to go as high as 80% on fats every day, but that's headed more in the right direction... i usually have my fat % around 65%+ on most days.

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member
    Do you mean to say you are eating less than 1000kcal?

Don't starve yourself.

The ratios depend on your insulin resistance. If you have more resistance you have to go low on carb.

You should not count protein as a percentage, rather find your Lean Body Mass and then multiply to somewhere between .5gm to 1gm per pound. It would depend on how much body building you are doing, and how fast you want to lose your fat.

Fat will fillup the rest.

Remember no two people are the same. You have to experiment which level is best for you.

Sue991 is offline Member
    Thanks a lot for the information. I am only eating around 800 cals per day but I'm not finding myself hungry at all although I used to eat loads and loads of carbs previously. I do struggle to get the carbs below 50g but I am getting better (today was actually my best day so far!). It's useful to know what sort of ratio I should be looking at achieving.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Hey Sue,

Have you read the book? I found it really helpful as he details more thoroughly exactly what to do. In the book, he recommends about 50% cals from fat, protein requirements are based on both lean body mass and activity levels, carb intake will depend on weight loss issues.

First, assess how much protein you need...figure out lean body mass. Protein requirements will range from .5g-1gram protein (or more) per lb body weight depending on activity level. He generally though, recommends a bottom limit of .7g for all but the most sedentary folks.

Once you've figured out your protein requirements, it's not difficult to figure out the rest. I'm loosing weight and am keeping carb intake around 70 - all of it from non-starchy produce. Protein, I am for 65g. If I do get more, excl. These are just averages though - for me, it really does vary significantly b/c I just CANNOT eat the same thing over and over.

Love dailyburn.com for tracking macros. FitDay.com has too many errors in their database so I've abandoned it. NutritionData.com is actually my favorite for nutritional analysis - but for tracking, their user interface has been slow and glitchy. If it works for you on your computer, it's definitely the best of the bunch. If not, dailyburn is wonderful. So fast, so easy. And they have an iphone app

Best,
    K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Spinner is offline Senior Member
    You do want to be careful to get enough calories. Too low, and you will shut down your metabolism and put your body into starvation mode. And that defeats the whole business of loosing weight. My mom raised me on a 900 calorie diet thinking it would make me thin, and I got heavy on it (135-140, 5'1) sooooo just saying be careful :-) And now I shoot for between 1600 and 2000, although when I IF, I do go quite a bit lower.
    Every day is another stitch in the quilt of life.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Re-Start date 6/23/2011
    me--Post pregnancy --mama to a beautiful baby boy--
    273.4/269.3/115
    Hubby--230/227.8/165

RednGreen is offline Member
    cillakat, Thanks for the useful info on fitday.com. I think I may go try dailyburn.com and see how it is- fitday is the only one I've tried so far.

Sue991, you should definitey try using one of these websites cillakat mentioned. I used to only count calories and just wrote everything down, but now that I keep track of the big 3 the websites are a Godsend. Good luck!
    "It may be normal darling, but I'd rather be natural." -Holly Golightly

Sue991 is offline Member
    I am tracking my food on Fitday but will have a look at Dailyburn as well. I do need to fully read the book (I skimmed through it, impatient to get started!). Certainly I should up my calorie intake but I think I'm currently worrying too much about what I'm eating carb wise more than the quantity. I'm only 5' tall but still need to eat more. It's early days so I should get the hang of it before too long! So far I am impressed though, feeling a lot more awake, sleeping better and not feeling hungry. Life's looking good.

bluechip is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I recommend myfitnesspal.com for tracking. The book is awesome and because of it signed up for paleotrack.com I also signed up for fitday, and a few others. Myfitnesspal.com by far was the easiest to update on a regular basis. I got the app on my blackberry, ipod, and droid tablet. win win win!
    Regards,
    ~ Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast