Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Electric Yogurt Maker Brands page 2

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Oh nice, thanks!

M.

leighlu is offline Member
    I feed the whey to my dogs. They love it.

Kristine Strasburger is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    For the record, the Yogourmet is highly recommended in the Specific Carbohydrate Diet community. Yogurt, or some kind of fermented food, is a big part of their gut recovery instructions. I've thought about getting it to simplify making yogurt, since my homemade water bath method is hit or miss at times.
    What can be simpler than dumping milk in a crock pot and heating it up? I guess having a thermostat and timer on the unit would be simpler and more foolproof, especially if you can't be present for a six hour or so stretch during the heating
    !
    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Kristine Strasburger is offline Junior Member
    Also, I make a gallon at a time, and I don't have room for a lot of appliances.

You don't need to use a water bath to make yogurt- you only need it if you are heating your milk on a stove to prevent scorching the milk.

If your yogurt fails you either put your culture in when the milk was too hot, your culture was dead to start with or you used too much culture. If your milk cools below the optimal temperature all that happens is the fermentation process slows down.

For one gallon of milk I use only two tablespoons of culture. For one quart of sour cream I use only 3/4 teaspoon of culture. I use my last batch of yogurt as a culture for both.

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    I have and use one of these Yogotherm units... works pretty well!

- Yogotherm Yogurt Maker- 2-QT #E69

Quote Originally Posted by Kristine Strasburger View Post
    For one gallon of milk I use only two tablespoons of culture. For one quart of sour cream I use only 3/4 teaspoon of culture. I use my last batch of yogurt as a culture for both.
    Interestingly, the recipe I was using called for basically 1/4 volume in yogurt - so a quart to the gallon, basically. Unless I am misremembering.

M.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristine Strasburger View Post
    What can be simpler than dumping milk in a crock pot and heating it up? I guess having a thermostat and timer on the unit would be simpler and more foolproof, especially if you can't be present for a six hour or so stretch during the heating
    !
    A crock pot is too hot to make yogurt. Perhaps you have done this successfully, but from everything I've read, it would destroy the cultures and you'd just have warm milk at the end.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    Interestingly, the recipe I was using called for basically 1/4 volume in yogurt - so a quart to the gallon, basically. Unless I am misremembering.

M.
    Yes, that's what I've always followed. I've made less than 10 batches of yogurt (1/2 gallon of milk to start with each time), but most have been successful. I may try less yogurt starter for the 24 hr batches however. The last one I made ended up with a lot of whey and was kind of curd-y.

Doc, the yogotherm looks great! No electricity needed
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I bought the Donvier, it uses all small pots and is nice to have a proper little pot, but a bit of a pain to clean. I think I would have preferred the Yogurmet, and may still pick one up if I am doing it more regularly. I do the coconut milk one, can't tolerate the milk version.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    A crock pot is too hot to make yogurt. Perhaps you have done this successfully, but from everything I've read, it would destroy the cultures and you'd just have warm milk at the end.
    I used a crockpot both times for mine. The first time, I didn't get it hot enough and the yogurt bacteria got out-competed. The second time it wasn't a problem at all. The key is to cut it off at the right time, but man oh man does it take forever to reach proper temp in the first place.

M.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast