Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cooking with Coconut oil page 2

manjpusa is offline Junior Member
    i think so,i was picturing a scenario with eggplant or mushrooms,thank you

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Taralphiel View Post
    Sorry if dragging up this thread is the wrong thing to do, but it seems to be the closest place to ask questions...

Is there a certain type of coconut oil I should be aiming for? I have bought a couple brands, some from the supermarket and some from the local Indian grocer. But all of them have an unpleasant taste, either raw or when cooking. A sour-ish after-taste. I made a power bar recipe that was blogged on MDA recently and I had to throw the whole thing out!

Or, is it possible that maybe I just don't like coconut oil? I do notice the coconut flavour faintly, but it's overpowered by the 'sourness'. That's the only way I know how to describe it...
    Many years ago the same thing happened to me, so when I started Primal, it took me ages to finally cave and try it again. I like it now. I use Vitacost brand, and tons of folks love Nutiva.

In addition, here are two reference pages for smoke points of various oils and fats:

Cooking Oil Smoke Points
    Smoke point - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, once you start working with various oils and fats, you can almost sense when they're going to start smoking.

Alton Brown once did a demo showing how much oil was left in a pan after frying up some chicken at the right temp and hardly any was gone. Some folks think it was disproved by the fact that some of the oil in the pan was chicken from the fat, but:

If you start with an amount of oil in the pan = x and the amount of fat in the chicken = y. The total of both fats is x+y.
    If after cooking, your pan has x - 2 tablespoons of oil and your chicken has y + 2 tablespoons of fat, the total of both fats is:
    x - 2 tablespoons + y + 2 tablespoons = x + y.

Anyway, smoke points are important which is why a lot of folks used to think you can't fry or saute in olive oil. But olive oil only has a low smoke point in comparison to the franken/industrial oils on supermarket shelves.

Though not chock full of MCTs, frying in lard or beef tallow will let you take the heat up quite a bit so that your food will cook without absorbing too much oil. Ideally, the oil should crisp the food on the outside, forming a bit of a crispy "wrapper," which then allows the food to also cook in its own juices.

Yes, I'm an old lady who watches too many cooking shows. LOL.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Taralphiel is offline Junior Member
    Thanks very much for the input everyone! I may just have to get used to it, but I'll keep looking at brands.

Alden is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well,Coconut oil is the best for cooking because coconut oil so good for get energy and protein.
    Coconut oil is made up of around 90% saturated fat, 6% monounsaturated fat so coconut oil is
    mostly made up of medium chain fatty acids....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12