Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toxins in Animal Fat - Fact or CW BS? page

thebkon Guest

Question Toxins in Animal Fat - Fact or CW BS?

Shop Now
    I was watching PBS and on came a program/lecture promoting the book "Change Your Brain, Change Your Body" (http://www.amenclinics.com/). He brings up some interesting facts and tips. For example, realizing that you do indeed have control over what you eat and eliminating ANTs (Automatic Negative Thoughts).

However, where he made me question his late night ramblings is when he was promoting the idea that animal fat should not be consumed because that is where toxins (was not specific as to which toxins) are stored. Now, I remember my science teacher saying something to the extent of if someone was to do LCD for a certain amount of time and gain fat while doing so that when the individual loses the fat, they will have mini acid trips.

Is this just a myth or is there some fire behind this smoke? Could someone shed some light on this with any research they have done? Are there certain types of animal fat that are better to eat than others (of course, grass fed-organic is the right choice but is that because of the quality of meat or the fat)?

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    AFAIK there's some truth to that, which is why you choose organic as much as possible. I buy organic butter. Can't find organic cream

I'm fortunate here in OZ that most of our meat is pretty much free range and grass fed anyhow. Grain-fed is showing up specially labeled in the supermarket as a 'good thing'.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I would need to see some evidence that it's of biological significance. Cw and especially alties (who aren't CW but exhibit the same lack of reasoning skills) like to blow up insignificant things to huge raging leviathans of hysteria. Is it so little an amount that it doesn't make a difference one way or the other? The Canadian government doesn't want us to get sick and they regulate all of the animal feed and the growth techniques. There aren't any antibiotics in meat and the only growth hormones used are ones found in humans and in downright negligible amounts. I really really really wouldn't be afraid of Albertan meat.

Unless there is actual evidence as to the harm of it. Either way, grass-fed is better for the fatty acid profile, but if someone asserts that the conventional canadian meat is dangerous, ask them for their sources.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

MikkiB is offline Senior Member
    Then again, maybe you shouldn't be so complacent about the Canadian food system -
    http://www.foodqualitynews.com/Publi...system-slammed

It is easy to quantify the amount of toxin contained in sample tissue (in this case, animal fat) using liquid chromatography. It is used pretty routinely to track down outbreaks of food poisoning (for instance - http://sciencelinks.jp/j-east/articl...06A0381692.php).

It's harder to track down experimental links between toxin levels on ingested food to toxin levels in individuals - I'm not sure if anyone would sign up for that study
    Last edited by MikkiB; 05-25-2010 at 09:12 AM. Reason: fix link

thebkon Guest
    So, I guess that leads me to ask whether or not the potential toxins in animal fat lead you to rethink your consumption habits. I agree with and have benefited from the Primal Blueprint but I am just wanting to be a devil's advocate in order to further enlighten myself and others.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    The Canadian government doesn't want us to get sick
    Any government is concerned about the health of its citizens only inasmuch as they are able to work and pay taxes. The dollar is of course the bottom line.

I would also like to see a list of these "toxins." The only one I've ever seen named is lectin, and that's a plant thing.

And insofar is they don't leech money out of a public health care system. I hear that cancer costs taxpayers money.

Quote Originally Posted by MikkiB View Post
    Then again, maybe you shouldn't be so complacent about the Canadian food system -
    http://www.foodqualitynews.com/Publi...system-slammed

It is easy to quantify the amount of toxin contained in sample tissue (in this case, animal fat) using liquid chromatography. It is used pretty routinely to track down outbreaks of food poisoning (for instance - http://sciencelinks.jp/j-east/articl...06A0381692.php).

It's harder to track down experimental links between toxin levels on ingested food to toxin levels in individuals - I'm not sure if anyone would sign up for that study
    Food-borne illnesses are an issue of processing, not production.

I just don't like people making baseless assertions about "toxins" in food without good evidence. That's all. I have to be skeptical of these things so that I don't end up believing wrong things. It's the government's word against the slow-thinking hippie's word, I'll side with the government unless there is sufficient evidence to the contrary.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    And insofar is they don't leech money out of a public health care system. I hear that cancer costs taxpayers money.
    And makes money for pharmaceutical and other medical technology companies, which the government takes a chunk of, right?

MikkiB is offline Senior Member
    the principle of LC is the same no matter what substance you look for. I'll try to find some references specific to production issues when I get home from work ... a simple Google Scholar search is coming up pretty empty.

LOLOLOL - I just found this on a non-scientific link - http://www.magusagora.org/eliminate-...t-trap-fat.htm
    "Lawyers:
    A simple lawyer provides 30 grams of fatty acid Omega-9, a type of fat that helps control hunger and cravings. It also helps the liver to process fats more efficiently to eliminate them. Research at the University of California at Riverside, we demonstrated that it was possible to lose 5 pounds in 2 months, consuming a daily lawyer, without calculating the calories consumed."

I'm game - though it might get expensive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast