Thread: Grocery list from medical insurer page

picklepete is offline Senior Member

Grocery list from medical insurer

Shop Now
    At first glance I kinda dug this idea. Insurance company sends an email once a week with a list of recommended groceries. I scan my member card at the participating stores and it works like a $1 coupon for each item.

I had no illusions of the program being primal-leaning but I'm still disappointed with how little I can use. This week's list:

• nonfat yogurt (vanilla or blueberry)
    • lactose-free milk (?)
    • diet cranberry cocktail
    • frozen juice concentrate (grape or strawberry kiwi)
    • Lean Cuisine pasta
    • Skinny Cow ice cream cones/sandwiches

• beans, peas, corn (canned)
    • fruit cocktail (canned w/ syrup)
    • diced tomato (canned)
    • whey protein bars (caramel or cookie dough)
    • peanut butter
    • applesauce (original or strawberry)

• "7 grain" English muffins, dinner rolls, tortillas
    • gluten-free pretzels (soy/quinoa/flax)
    • instant oatmeal
    • high-bran breakfast cereals (all sugar added)
    • whole wheat pancake mix
    • Dreamfields high-fiber pasta

My food plan is pretty easygoing: keep the sugars and plant seeds to a minimum. And I sort of want to applaud the health insurer who values nutrition but I'm scratching my head to make use of any of this non-perishable debris. What happens if my coworkers really invest in this?
    34//6'3"/180

Lots of: urban hiking, cycling, sprinting
    Lots of: fresh meat, seafood, eggs, organs, tubers, starch fruits, vegetables, meat fat, dairy fat, oil fruits
    Some: cured meat, dairy protein, sweet fruits, rice, pulses, tree nuts, oil seeds
    Minimal: soy, refined proteins, sugar, liquid carbohydrate, grains, refined oils, peanuts

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    You know what, they will probably be healthier than they are now. Last night I saw a Walmart commercial intending to influence people to eat one less fast food meal per week in exchange for an unholy home cooked dish. This is an improvement. A "nudge." You aren't going to get people to go primal overnight, but you might be able to get them off the 100 calorie packs.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    There isn't one thing I would buy on that list.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    diced tomato (canned)
    That's the only thing on that list I keep in the house, and after reading the article that sbhikes posted about environmental factors, I'll probably be cutting that out in favor of glass-jarred or fresh tomatoes.

Before primal - probably some apple sauce for when I made pork chops. The rest is crap if you have a thimble full of curiosity about good food. Honestly, that list looks like the kind of food they give out at food banks.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    You know what, they will probably be healthier than they are now.
    Ya, anything that prompts 3 seconds of reflection might help. I just dislike the common attitude that every calorie is a setback to be fought instead of capturing positive nutrients. "Slightly less harmful" is a pretty depressing bar to set.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Honestly, that list looks like the kind of food they give out at food banks.
    Good perception. I remember in the "Place at the Table" documentary the aid boxes were virtually all macaroni and saltines. What can a body do with that?

I'm most puzzled by the insurer's incentive. Their profits are highest when we're lean and healthy so one would think they would read up on what works, and gain nothing from alliance with Kraft and Nabisco.
    34//6'3"/180

Lots of: urban hiking, cycling, sprinting
    Lots of: fresh meat, seafood, eggs, organs, tubers, starch fruits, vegetables, meat fat, dairy fat, oil fruits
    Some: cured meat, dairy protein, sweet fruits, rice, pulses, tree nuts, oil seeds
    Minimal: soy, refined proteins, sugar, liquid carbohydrate, grains, refined oils, peanuts

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    I'm most puzzled by the insurer's incentive. Their profits are highest when we're lean and healthy so one would think they would read up on what works, and gain nothing from alliance with Kraft and Nabisco.
    The kickbacks from Kraft and Nabisco probably pay more than they would save by offering a healthy set of food. It's all about money, not health.
    Last edited by aliphian; 07-01-2013 at 01:16 PM.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Y'all, this list is far healthier than most Americans eat. I think you are being totally unrealistic in what you expect the population to do for a dollar. Can you imagine how much healthcare costs would come down if people shifted to these options from Lays potato chips and Oreo Cookies and a stop by the fast food joint on the way home? I don't see a conspiracy theory here, I see really good public health practices- nudges. That's how public health works.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    Y'all, this list is far healthier than most Americans eat. I think you are being totally unrealistic in what you expect the population to do for a dollar. Can you imagine how much healthcare costs would come down if people shifted to these options from Lays potato chips and Oreo Cookies and a stop by the fast food joint on the way home? I don't see a conspiracy theory here, I see really good public health practices- nudges. That's how public health works.
    Even if I assume that everything you said is correct, and the govt isn't pushing people to eat food produced by the corporations that give our elected officials money to spout this stuff, it's only a push from worst to less worse. I see barely a blip (except maybe in calories) from the stuff posted on that list and McDonald's.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Leida is offline Senior Member
    beans, tomatoes, and peanut butter (if the non-crap variety is allowable) will be Okay for someone on a tight budget trying to eat slow carb diet. Applesauce for the one day when fruits are allowed on that approach. Some folks do very well on the slow-carb....
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.