Thread: Drinking Water for Flexibility? page

maclrc is offline Senior Member

Drinking Water for Flexibility?

Primal Fuel
    Hi All,

I was having a sports massage over the weekend to help with some pretty woeful flexibility (cannot get into a proper squat position due to tight calves, hamstrings, etc.) and the masseuse said to make sure to drink lots of water each day (2 to 3 litres). She said that would help aid in flexibility improvements made via muscle release and stretching. Is there any truth to this?

I'm drinking more water now as there is obviously little harm in trying, but just wondering what people's thought were on this.

Crownface is offline Junior Member
    Water is good for everything and I think this might happen as well.

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    Just an opinion here. I think if you're chronically dehydrated than it can cause muscle tightness. But if you're sufficiently hydrated I don't think it will make you more flexible to drink more water.

donaldeasson is offline Junior Member
    Really interesting to hear about acquiring flexibility through Drinking water. May be whatsoever would be the logic behind it. We must try out and give our personal experiences.

Reindeer is offline Senior Member
    Never heard of it. I'm inclined to say that no I don't believe in this, there have been so many 'drink your water' scams over the years. Drink three gallons a day to keep your heart beating, to lose weight like bamf, yada yada yada.

That being said, if you guys are going to give this a proper shot I'd like to hear the report. If there's something to it then that's really interesting.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reindeer View Post
    Never heard of it. I'm inclined to say that no I don't believe in this, there have been so many 'drink your water' scams over the years. Drink three gallons a day to keep your heart beating, to lose weight like bamf, yada yada yada.

That being said, if you guys are going to give this a proper shot I'd like to hear the report. If there's something to it then that's really interesting.
    I agree with the "drink more water scam" bit. If you go to a diet site and ask if drinking more water will result in losing more weight, the response you will get is that the more water you drink, the more weight you will lose, even thought there is no scientific basis for this. And most of those who parrot it are failed dieters. Must have been they didn't drink enough water, eh?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I have pretty woeful flexibility, drink plenty of water. Only thing that is working is to slowly work on it, but consistently. My shoulders for instance are still somewhat closed but not as bad as they used to be. Same goes for all other tight spots. Drinking water is not going to get you in a full split without a LOT of work.

Edit: I use traditional stretching methods, along with progressive loaded stretching (using weights to stretch, basically) and some PNF stuff.
    Last edited by iniQuity; 07-09-2013 at 05:24 PM.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think hydration makes a difference. For the past 5 days I have been eating only high water content fruits and vegetables during the day. I can already see some of my chronic "tightness" easing. This is just an experiment for me now. I am going to see how it affects say over a month.
    Just to hedge myself I take a protein smoothie (whey isolate + banana + one juicy fruit) in the evening.
    Few but ripe.