Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal cost me my job, kinda. page

Shop Now

Here is one for the books. After being unemployed (my last company closed due to the credit crash) for 3 months I interview for (4 times), and got a great job...so I thought. First week in, I knew there was an issue. On my first day of work my new boss wanted to welcome me with, what else, a pizza party. I thanked her, but mentioned that I packed my lunch. I would totally hang out with everyone and gnaw on my chicken whilst they ate pizza. Cue funny looks.

Two days later at a conference, I turn down the pasta and grab my big ass salad. Again with the looks. Fast forward a day and I get pulled into the bosses office. My hair is inappropriate and I must get it cut (I have a very short haircut which is (was) a very small stylish mohawk, which I had when I interviewd by the way. Ok, suck it up jobs are hard to come by. I cut my hair. Then, the next day I am told that my style of dress isn't conservative enough. I wore a dress with a denim jacket. My boss, this same day, wore a dress with a cardigan sweater. For my particular job arena, I was the number one producer in the company. This woman wouldn't even give me a chance to see what I can do. She only wanted to "see" someone that fit the mold.

What it comes down to is this, it is becoming far more acceptable in society to be an unhealthy slob than it is to be fit. No one wants you to be the mirror to their unhealthy habits. I cannot come into work stylishly and tastefully dressed with an edgy haircut, but she can come into work in stretchy pants and Franco-American stains on her shirt?

I want to start a company with Sassafrass, Diana, and FlyNavyWife!

Peggy is offline Senior Member

Arrrrrrrggghhhhh!!! When you start that company, can I come do the books?

From the sound of things, you'd never be happy there. I am very fortunate to live in a mountain community where the idea of "office attire" kinda goes with the surroundings & our lifestyles (I wear my VFFs even!)

Here's a big arm-load of cyber moral support for ya! It's just another example of The Man trying to keep a sistah down! Without going into long, boring details, I have so been there on several occasions.

Stick to your principles. It's hard sometimes, but I've found the money is not worth the misery. I guess that's why I always have 2 or 3 jobs: I'd rather be happy & feel appreciated.

Brad is offline Member

Isn't that just Crazy?? At my office it has gone the other way I have influenced my co-workers to make major changes without even trying. My boss has put a small gym in an unused area with a treadmill, and two stationary bikes. We have changed the Friday morning dounuts for a Friday afternoon veggie tray. And a couple weeks ago one of our suppliers was coming in for a lunch and learn where he suggested he would bring in pizza, but my boss told him we are trying to make healthier choices so he brought in an assortment of salads, veggies,wraps, and fruit. Its almost weird around here as people who have always been over weight, and out of shape in general are lossing weight, and riding their bikes to work.

Now not everyone is on board for sure, but at least half the people around my office are at least making some visably better choices. I dont push or preach with anyone, all I do is answer questions when asked. Now I also wouldn't say they are going Primal, but there are at least 4-5 big ass salads in the fridge every day.

The owner of my company is a 74 year old cowboy who looks maybe 60, and somtimes acts like he's 18(in a good way) , and has always taken reasonable care of his health is a big driver of these changes as well. He sat me down and thanked me for helping influence the staff in a positive way, and asked me to try and help one guy here who is really unhealthy.

Some people get it some just don't.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Awww... that totally blows! I agree with Brad. SOme people get it and some just don't.

I'm pretty fortunate where I work, and we'll see what happens with my culinary career. I haven't yet broke it to Chef James that I'm PB. The restaurant is Tapas but also caters to Vegans & Vegetarians. He seems of open mind so it might be ok. I also turned in an app to work in the kitchen at my favorite pizza shop. It's my favorite because it makes a killer anti-pasto. I'm hoping I can make a suggestion that they give customers the option to make any pizza or sub into a salad.

Hang in there. If it doesn't work out, it just wasn't meant to be. Maybe sit down with Ms Stretchpants and explain to her that you're not trying to be non-participatory (is that a word?). It's just that there are certain foods you can't eat. (People generally respond better if they think you're incapable of eating certain foods, rather than unwilling.)

I would totally love to work with you all, or shoot, just live close enough where we could hang out! I desperately need some Primal girlfriends to hang with. :P

I'm down!

I'm ITCHING to start my own "Primal-based" company! :-D

Brad, that's TOTALLY awesome!

We get a discount on the business park gym, so I only pay $53/ quarter, so that's good!

But they buy us snacks from Costco and they cater to the developers. You can only IMAGINE how much coffee & carb-laden crap THEY eat!

When a new shipment of 'treats' come in, I grab a peach and stash it at my desk until it's ripe!

It's amazing what forms of discrimination are allowable. I bet you can't discriminate with someone if they get a boob job, because that is considered sexual harassment. You'd never hear someone say "hey, your tits are too big cover them up." But you can say, "cover up your tattoos and cut your hair".

Yeah, the tattoo thing really irks me. I've got a huge tattoo from my wrist to my elbow (elbow to shoulder not done yet.) A lot of people ask me "What about getting a good job?" My reply is generally- if somebody won't hire me because of a tattoo, they're not the kind of people I want to work for.

I guess my only regret with the tat is that there's a part of me that wants to join the military, and being that it goes right down to my hand, it's not acceptable, and I don't want it removed. I'd rather have the tat than be in the military though.

Home depot hired me several years ago when I had bright red corn rows with super long braids. They let me go because I wouldn't remove my earings. I'd just gotten some of them done too. Bright red braids, ok. Earrings, not ok. Umm?

Someday I'm going to have this inked, though I'm not sure where I'm going to put it.

"The Tattoo is the mark of the Soul. It can act as a window through which we see inside, or it can be a shield to protect us from those who cannot see past the surface."

tphillips1234 Guest

Hey when yall get this primal based company goin give me a holler lol. I know what yall are going thru for someone who has lost 240 pounds of their weight.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast