Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Primal cost me my job, kinda. page 4

Nick Guest

Shop Now

Not intending it to be slander against Montessori schools, but I was briefly in one when I was 2 or so.

My parents decided the people running it kinda weirded them out, and pulled me out and put me in a much more convenient day care elsewhere.

About six months later it came out that the whole lot of them had been arrested for having a couple of acres of pot plants, and it turned out they were all members of a cult that believed they were reincarnated 40000 year old immortal warriors.

How's that for primal?

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Wow that's pretty crazy, Nick.

Like everything else though, they run the gamut. You have to make sure you get a good one.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Nick Guest

There's one right down the road from my house. So far I haven't seen any pot plants or mass suicides, so you're probably right.

Tishkaminx Guest

Going back to the origional post- I ran into problems at work too. We often have catered training events and meetings which usually consist of sandwiches and muffins. I would casualy get out my bowl of salad and just eat that. Then my Boss took me aside and told me that I wasn't allowed to do this as it was rude to bring my own food to a catered event and that i should eat what is provided! Needless to say i took no notice and continued to bring my own lunch. It is no longer an issue as people expect me to do this. I also request changes whenever we have evening meals such as 'no potatoes' but I still have issues with overnight events being catered for that I can't provide my own meal (lack of cool storage for salad etc.)for and no menu being provided beforehand (I mean who would have though peopel could have a problem with a sandwich, crisps and a chocolate bar for lunch?)

Luckily though my work has a tolerance policy about appearance (it's not law- but the UK has a petition to get appearance added to the legal list of discrimination after the murder of a young woman because she was dressed as a Goth). I feel free to dress Goth for work but get a better reaction when I tone it down- which I do when I have meetings.

Alt-pride...proud to be alternative.

CaveGirl Guest

PJAP: If they are asking for your letter of resignation its because that way whent hey have it you can't really say "I was fired" because they will have proof you resigned. Plus it may screw you out of any unemployment benefits. I would call back your ex-boss and ask why should you give them that letter if they fired you. Because you if gave them that letter, it would be a lie.

Nick Guest

Huh. You'd think the boss would prefer you solving the problem on your own, rather than constantly and vocally pissing on whatever food was ordered for the events while lecturing everyone about your dietary restrictions.

mrd232 is offline Junior Member

If it's a forced resignation, you absolutely can dispute that to unemployment in the great Commonwealth of PA. Do you know of a good HR rep our council? They can be of help in this situation.

My S.O. is going through a similar situation currently.

grandma is offline Member

PJAP, It just occurred to me that perhaps if in this situation again (at least with the food). Tell them you keep kosher and can't have their food. What can they say? Legally -- nothing.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Yeah, she actually called me yesterday and left me a message stating how disappointed she was that I didn't give her a letter of resignation. She let me go! It's clear discrimination, the food, the way I look, all of it. Asking me to dress professionally and "conservatively" while the rest of the crew walked around in sundresses and flip flops. I should have taken photos. I am worried sick that I will have to fight with unemployment now that she is going to try and say I quit, AND I don't have any concrete proof that I was discriminated against or asked to leave.

Nick Guest

Firing you and then lying about it to avoid paying unemployment has got to be some kind of committing fraud via state documents or something. Seriously, talk to the relevant labor authority there if you run into problems getting unemployment.

Realistically, though, businesses have every right to discriminate due to employee appearance, at least at the Federal level. It's simply not one of the protected attributes. You might be able to scare them if you send a threatening letter implying they've violated your civil rights because how you eat is a religious issue, but ultimately if push comes to shove, are you going to lie under oath and say eating primal is a religious issue? You'd also have to show that's why they fired you, and any employer can always find a more legitimate reason to say they fired someone.

At this point though I'd say stop talking to them and lawyer up (not meaning sue, just only communicate via threatening letters on your attorney's letterhead via certified mail).

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast