Thread: Has anyone tried making liver jerky? page

thaijinx is offline Senior Member

Has anyone tried making liver jerky?

Does it work? How's it taste?
    SW: 68 kg. * CW: 61.5 kg. * GW: 60 kg or less...
    “Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.” ~ Buddha

Egerland is offline Senior Member
    don't think it is possible to make jerky with organ meats... no striations in tissue (?)

Grafvitnir is offline Member
    I've eaten raw fresh beef liver and it is not bad, but I really like liver and all organ meats.

Dr. Terry Wahls talked about using it as travel food in Austin at PaleoFx this year. I found her recipe here: JokersUpdates.com: Joker Stewart - Liver jerky (Dr. Terry Wahls) although I have not tried it yet, but the recipe looks like something between jerky and biltong.

Hope it helps.

Rubén

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I make a lot of jerky and I would never try drying liver. When you're making jerky you want lean muscle with the absolute minimum fat and you cut out as much of the remaining fat as humanly possible. You wouldn't be able to isolate the fat from liver and it wouldn't keep. You probably could season and dry it if you really wanted but I wouldn't imagine that the texture or taste would be good. You'd need to use a high temperature for the drying process and not use it like a travel food as you could jerky.