Thread: LDL effects after Primal page

faredoon is offline Member

LDL effects after Primal

Shop Now
    Hi all,

I'm 36 with a family history of CVD and hypertension. I just wanted to raise this concern about elevated LDL levels after moving to Primal. There have been tomes written on this site about how LDL particle count is important and not the LDL cholesterol amount itself. To be honest, I have doubts about this.

I personally experienced very high LDL after getting tested in about 2 months after eating all that saturated fat which is recommended on Primal.
    The only glitch from my side : exercise was not at all at the level suggested for the diet (i.e. intense weights interspersed with sprints etc.).

I happened to read Loren Cordain's material on the Paleo Diet. It seems he advocates complete avoidance of dairy and saturated fats for e.g. from cheese, milk etc. This is in stark contrast to Mark Sisson's program. Cordain even goes so far as to mention that LDL is definitely going to cause heart issues.

Why this post? Mainly because of the bad news.

Well, the good news, firstly, is that I reduced 10 kilos in about a month. Triglycerides were super low compared to past reports. HDL was at a healthy high level.

The bad news - Very high LDL. In a month from the test, I started getting slight upper chest and chin (mostly center of the chin) discomfort. I shudder to think that this could have been a nasty body experiment, especially with my family history.

The question is : what if all that excess LDL does indeed lead to plaque formation?

My honest opinion: I think Cordain makes much more sense for the long term than Sisson when he says that we need to stick the the meat, fish and vegetables and excluding all dairy. Having elevated LDL is not worth the risk, unless we get tested every few weeks and keep a close watch. The point is not only about losing weight and having a great body. I think lots of lean people have also succumbed to heart disease.

I am a layperson, I just want to know whether decisions like Primal are right on the money for long term heart health.

Thoughts are most welcome.
    Last edited by faredoon; 06-30-2013 at 11:19 PM.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Didn't you just post this on another thread? Three posts. Suspicious.

Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    Didn't you just post this on another thread? Three posts. Suspicious.
    Oops. I think I'll delete this one. Thanks for pointing this out.

Quote Originally Posted by faredoon View Post
    Oops. I think I'll delete this one. Thanks for pointing this out.
    aren't allowed to delete. never mind.