Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Increased effects of alcohol page

Shanievebaker is offline Junior Member

Increased effects of alcohol

So I switched to a primarily paleo diet and lifestyle but will have a glass of wine or cocktail occasionally. They seem to effect me a lot more. One glass of wine feels like 3. Anyone know why. Just curious.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    I don't know why, but it's the same with me.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Same - I assume it's less inflammation?

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    I assumed it was something to do with the liver. Drinking tends not to be so intense when I'm eating more carbs regularly.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    It could be from having less. If I drink 3 glasses of wine a night (my glasses are 4-5 oz) I'm quite tolerant again.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

It's always been just one. (Except for an occasion). Since paleo, the one effects me way different. I feel pretty buzzed?

Mutton is offline Senior Member
    Sugar slows alcohol metabolism, although I doubt thats the issue. Might be a similar thing happening though?

Sugar in mixed drinks slows down effects of alcohol – Eatocracy - CNN.com Blogs

Of course, fatty foods slow down alcohol metabolism as well. And they should even out blood sugar drops I would think. Hence the old advice to make sure you have something on your stomach before drinking.

Oh that's a thought. If sugar slows alcohol metabolism, then less sugar present (paleo) would speed metabolism of alcohol, hence the overly intoxicated feeling....hypothesis forming...hmmm

PaleoPenn is offline Senior Member
    This thread inspired me to finally open that bottle of wine my wife bought me.

Cheers!
    Kampai!
    50 year old Male
    Current Weight: 195

Chupo is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you're low carb, it could be low blood sugar that you're feeling.

Alcohol is a powerful inhibitor of gluconeogenesis. In fact, it forces part of the gluconeogenic metabolic process into reverse. This means that if all the glucose in the blood is being derived from gluconeogenesis then the consumption of alcohol will inevitably cause the blood glucose level to fall. Worse still, the alcohol also stops ketone body production, thus leaving the brain entirely without fuel.

A person who is ketotic is 100% reliant on gluconeogenesis to maintain adequate levels of glucose in the blood. If, under these circumstances alcohol is taken, the person will become disorientated and might lose consciousness, not just from the alcohol, but from low blood sugar. Needless to say, this could be very dangerous, and even fatal.

Alcohol does not have these effects if the glycogen stores in the liver are normal. Under these circumstances the blood glucose level in the blood is maintained by the breakdown of liver glycogen, a process that is not influenced by alcohol. If a person becomes confused under these circumstances it is due simply to the pharmacological effects of the alcohol!
    I read this here. Haven't checked the sources though.

Alcohol does knock me out of ketosis (measured by blood ketones) but I've never checked my blood sugar after drinking. I also "feel it" more when I drink on low carb.
    Last edited by Chupo; 07-03-2013 at 12:56 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast