Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Increased effects of alcohol page 2

Shanievebaker is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Super interesting. I can get pretty dizzy and clumsy on just a glass of wine. Yikes

Shanievebaker is offline Junior Member
    By the way, paleo penn, how'd the wine effect you?

diene is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm, I was VLC for a while but did not notice any differences with respect to alcohol tolerance.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    I get drunker faster (I was always a "lightweight" even at 300+ lbs) but the good news is I get sober faster too. It used to be that I couldn't have a drink unless I had someone to drive me home. Now I can burn off a drink in a couple of hours like normal people. I attribute this to a cleared out liver capacity.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    I get drunker faster (I was always a "lightweight" even at 300+ lbs) but the good news is I get sober faster too. It used to be that I couldn't have a drink unless I had someone to drive me home. Now I can burn off a drink in a couple of hours like normal people. I attribute this to a cleared out liver capacity.
    Same here. I'm pretty tipsy off one drink now (instead of 2...maybe 3), but it wears off fairly quickly.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Mutton is offline Senior Member
    Have you guys lost weight on paleo? Could it simply be a result of lower body mass?

And another thought: I think I remember reading that a lot of foods naturally ferment into a small amount of alcohol during digestion. Perhaps grains are a major source? If so, cutting them out would reduce your exposure and eventually tolerance? Just an idea...
    Last edited by Mutton; 07-06-2013 at 02:14 AM.

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    In periods where I have been VLC I'll get intoxicated more quickly and get killer hangovers from just a few drinks (2-3).
    When I eat more carbs, I can tolerate more alcohol, and I generally don't get hangovers.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutton View Post
    Have you guys lost weight on paleo? Could it simply be a result of lower body mass?

And another thought: I think I remember reading that a lot of foods naturally ferment into a small amount of alcohol during digestion. Perhaps grains are a major source? If so, cutting them out would reduce your exposure and eventually tolerance? Just an idea...
    There is some evidence that people with NASH got it exactly because their gut bacteria creates more alcohol than people who don't get NASH*.... So NASH is more non-oral than non-alcohol. My guess is that clearing out the grains and carbs does lower the bacteria created alcohol... But my guess is that this is why I get sober faster.

*And some other biological susceptibility- people tend to think alcoholism = liver disease but it doesn't, about 1/8 of alcoholics get liver disease, same ratio as people with other risk factors like obesity.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    Noticed this as well. I'm a significantly cheaper date since going primal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12