Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fasting - even when working out? page

Nick "the Caveman" M. is offline Senior Member

Fasting - even when working out?

Shop Now
    I've been going paleo/primal for about 6 months now. I've lost a little over 20 lbs, and have hit somewhat of a wall...but I think I know most of the reasons. My 20% sometimes slip to way over what it should be....weekends hurt me. But I am thinking another reason is my hesitation to doing a little more IF. I am trying to get rid of a lot of the modern day bias out of my head, but the skipping breakfast etc has been the hardest. I've done 2, 20 hr fasts with good results and no real hesitation to keep occasionally doing it.

Do people who do regular IF most days, even fast when working out in the morning? I guess my hesitation of fasting on mornings when I workout in the morning has been my bias of timing protein right after for muscle growth. I'd love to hear some people's thoughts on fasting through workouts and also the frequency in which you fast.

Thanks.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    I have absolutely no problem working out fasted and actually prefer it. What are you hesitating about? The worst that could happen is that you hit the wall early and have to scrub one measly workout. Give it a shot.

Nick "the Caveman" M. is offline Senior Member
    So do you even fast after the workout? That's been my real hesitation. I'm at the gym at 6 am...so I'm typically working out fasted, but it's the post workout that I typically am consuming some egg protein.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    I always lift after at least 16 hours IF. Today I fasted 2 hours after working out, because I just wasn't hungry. I wouldn't wait any longer than that though.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

There have been many times where I've gone 4-6 hours without eating after a workout. I don't think it's such a big deal.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primalchild View Post
    There have been many times where I've gone 4-6 hours without eating after a workout. I don't think it's such a big deal.
    You always say that. Well guess what, there's studies that show the contrary, too. No reason to stay that long without eating. You're most likely gonna get hungry after working out anyways.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Primitive is offline Junior Member
    RP, maybe different people have different responses or tolerance; sometimes, I workout early in the morning (6am) and I don't eat till lunch or even dinner, and I don't feel hungry.

Meg-a-Tron is offline Senior Member
    I specifically fast at least 12 hours before, and 2 hours after workouts.

Raleighwood is offline Member
    Training fasted is ok. If you are serious about performance and progression, ingesting a preworkout meal/shake of protein or BCAA has been found to promote protein synthesis.

As for post work out nutrition, ingesting ~.25g/lb of protein/body weight has been found to be about the optimal amount to maximize muscle protein synthesis.

The bottom line is that continuing a fast post workout is NOT optimal for recovery, strength, or lean mass gains.

Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    You always say that. Well guess what, there's studies that show the contrary, too. No reason to stay that long without eating. You're most likely gonna get hungry after working out anyways.
    Take it easy. There are no laws being broken here. Am I telling him specifically not to eat that long after working out? No. I'm presenting my own experience for him to consider. There's way too much fear about being hungry and it makes people neurotic. Hungry? Eat. Not hungry? Don't sweat it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast