Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kimchi for leaky gut? page

thaijinx is offline Senior Member

kimchi for leaky gut?

I've been researching leaky guy and a lot of advice seems to suggesting avoiding nightshades, but, eating more fermented foods.

How does kimchi figure in healing leaky guy, given that it's fermented, but, it is primarily made from nightshades?

Eat or Avoid?

Thanks
    SW: 68 kg. * CW: 61.5 kg. * GW: 60 kg or less...
    “Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.” ~ Buddha

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Traditionally kimchi is made with a flour paste that normally contains rice or wheat flour. You can easily recreate this paste using almond or coconut flour if you wanted though and there are even recipes for flour-less kimchi out there (I believe that the Perfect Health Diet website has a fairly good one).

It is fermented, so it is good for restoring balance to your gut flora. Although you can ferment almost any veggie in a similar manner without flour pastes, etc. Sauerkraut is a perfect example.

I'm personally fermenting some dilly beans as we speak.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Koreans will tell you kimchi heals just about everything, and they are pretty darn healthy so I couldn't really argue. They say it's great for weight loss. Never heard it mentioned in relation to leaky gut, but who knows. Interestingly it turns out there are many different types of kimchi -- cabbage kimchi, radish kimchi, pickles kimchi, leaf kimchi, the really old "crazy" kimchi that tastes sour. It's like an entire food group for people in KR.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Leaky gut usually refers to tissue damage caused by seed lectins, and heals after they're eliminated. Probiotics like kimchi might benefit the gut bacteria but that's a separate issue.

Don't get too distracted by other people's sensitivities and restrictions--eliminating nightshades is not necessary unless they give you distress.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

thaijinx is offline Senior Member
    Kimchi Ninja, Korean's will tell you that it's the best food on earth, and indeed that everyone on earth eats it! However that doesn't make it true! They also think that they invented the lightbulb, the car, and electricity too (well, at least, my students did)! LOL

But they don't tell you that they have the highest incidence of stomach cancer worldwide. (Not necessarily from Kimchi, could be from the vile amounts of Soju that are consumed, the smoking, and dog meat - well, they do beat it sensless while it's still alive and hanging from it's legs. I guess all that adrenaline and fear hormone has to go somewhere.) Who knows.

Still, pepper and chilli are not recommended for those with leaky gut or autoimmune conditions, so I was just wondering whether the chilli and pepper are tempered somewhat by the fermenting process. Or, perhaps they refer to white kimchi?
    Last edited by thaijinx; 07-01-2013 at 12:59 AM.
    SW: 68 kg. * CW: 61.5 kg. * GW: 60 kg or less...
    “Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.” ~ Buddha

Quote Originally Posted by thaijinx View Post
    But they don't tell you that they have the highest incidence of stomach cancer worldwide.
    No, they told me that too.

Every rose has it's thorn I guess.

duplicate post

otzi Guest
    Probiotics are only half the story! Here's what happens when you eat probiotic rich foods or supplements--many of the probiotic microbes perish in the stomach and small intestine, because that's not where they belong. Some of them cleave to certain fibers and make the trip, intact, to the large intestine where they can thrive. As long as the pH is right and there is space to occupy, they can settle in and grow a new colony, where they happily digest their favorite foods (undigested plant carbohydrates and fiber) and do beneficial things like produce butyrate and help assimilate vitamins and minerals.

If there is no space for them to occupy because all the space is taken up by other types of bacteria, they will live for a while and do these good things, but they will never become a part of your digestive system--only a passer-through.

A low-carb, low-plant diet is a sure way to make a gut that is unfriendly to probiotics. Mark's daily BAS is a good start, make sure it contains lots of fibrous plants like broccoli and onions. Another thing that gut microbes like is resistant starch, like that found in legumes, green bananas, and cold potatoes. The combination of resistant starch and plant fiber is known as prebiotcs--ie. they set the stage for probiotcs to thrive.

Fermented foods like kimchi, sauerkraut, kefir, and yogurt are all great for probiotics, but they will not have a great an impact on you as when you are feeding them what they want. Once established and well-fed, they will grow and crowd out the bad microbes that cause foul gas, poor absorption of minerals and vitamins, and other leaky gut symptoms.

richard is offline Senior Member
    I think the healing of the gut takes place following a program that Artour Rakhimov told me about.

1. eat no fresh veggies without grinding them to a pulp first, very well. Eliminates mechanical challenges to the gut. Stay clear of almonds, pistachios and other "hard" items that are mechanically challenging to the gut.

2. eat no raw garlic, raw ginger or other "chemical challenges" to your gut -- this eliminates kimchi for instance.

3. you can eat cooked veggies, meat etc.

The above really helps heal the gut very rapidly. Then you gradually phase in mechanical challenges (say a salad that you eat raw without grinding) and your gut is healed.

This has been very effective for me.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    2. eat no raw garlic, raw ginger or other "chemical challenges" to your gut -- this eliminates kimchi for instance.
    How is ginger, which increases secretion of natural and normal gastric fluids bad for digestion? As I understand it ginger is prescribed by herbalists and doctors worldwide for a range of bad digestion issues. It speeds up our ability to empty the stomach a little bit and increases nutrient absorption from food due to increased digestive efficiency.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast