Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: kimchi for leaky gut? page 2

otzi Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    How is ginger, which increases secretion of natural and normal gastric fluids bad for digestion? As I understand it ginger is prescribed by herbalists and doctors worldwide for a range of bad digestion issues. It speeds up our ability to empty the stomach a little bit and increases nutrient absorption from food due to increased digestive efficiency.
    I think Richard actually has some pretty sound advice for someone who already has gut issues. One big problem that occurs in leaky gut is SIBO, or bacteria in the small intestine where it is not supposed to be. Starving this out for a short period and realigning the pH of the small intestine sets the stage for future healing. When discussing leaky gut, it's all about crypts and gaps in the large intestine--these can be strengthened and tightened through a diet high in prebiotics, like ginger, onion, garlic, leeks, cold potatoes, green bananas, and legumes.

richard is offline Senior Member
    well Artour was very clear about no RAW onion, garlic and especially ginger as this is very chemically irritating to the gut. I think he is right.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I think Richard actually has some pretty sound advice for someone who already has gut issues. One big problem that occurs in leaky gut is SIBO, or bacteria in the small intestine where it is not supposed to be. Starving this out for a short period and realigning the pH of the small intestine sets the stage for future healing. When discussing leaky gut, it's all about crypts and gaps in the large intestine--these can be strengthened and tightened through a diet high in prebiotics, like ginger, onion, garlic, leeks, cold potatoes, green bananas, and legumes.
    Yes, but ginger doesn't do much with bacteria. If anything, it is an anti-bacterial. Ginger just causes your stomach to release more digestive fluids which is helpful in realigning stomach pH for those with low levels of stomach acids.

vincebae is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Traditionally kimchi is made with a flour paste that normally contains rice or wheat flour. You can easily recreate this paste using almond or coconut flour if you wanted though and there are even recipes for flour-less kimchi out there (I believe that the Perfect Health Diet website has a fairly good one)
    Sweet rice flour paste is usually added to help fermentation since it is carb. So I don't think coconut or almond flour are good substitute.
    Rice flour paste is usually used in small amount and most of them are consumed during the fermentation.
    I don't think the rice flour paste is a big issue especially to whom consider rice as safe starch.
    You can still make kimchi without rice flour paste anyway as in PHD recipe.

However I don't think the regular kimchi is good for leaky gut because of chilli pepper. You might try white kimchi which doesn't have chilli pepper in it.

Jer37208 is offline Member
    I'm half korean, and am mostly primal compliant, but they'll have to pry my kimchee and white rice from my cold dead hands haha
    Last edited by Jer37208; 07-02-2013 at 09:32 PM. Reason: typ0
    Here to eat and move like a caveman, not look or stink like one

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12