Thread: Newcomer's call for help! page

dml11293 is offline Junior Member

Newcomer's call for help!

Primal Fuel
    What's up guys?

I'm a 20 year old mess of an eater, here to finally get my diet consistent and take control of my health! I've always eaten healthy things, but quantity varies strongly- I had an eating disorder a few years ago and never really regained a good relationship with food as fuel. I've been very inspired by the site for the past few week (seriously, everything just feels like what I needed to hear, it's like it's in tune with my motivation requirements, it's almost creepy) and have been eating clean and exercising more efficiently and enjoying it- the occasional oatmeal or bread slip here and there, but nothing terrible.

So far, my experience is that I'm never hungry. Like, actually I can't remember the last time I was hungry. But in order to keep myself consistent I've just been continuing to stuff myself whenever a meal rolls around. And that doesn't mean a lot of food, I just get full so quickly now for some reason.

It's tripping me out a little because I would like to slim down a bit and don't want to overeat, but at the same time I don't know at what point skipping a meal because I'm not hungry will cause me to lose muscle mass that I've worked to achieve. I also want to avoid getting back on the rollercoaster of food intake I was on previously, where I'd go a week eating everything in sight and the next week occasionally grazing but really not taking in much at all. Which I suspect has made a huge mess of my metabolism, and I'd like to fix that hypothetical issue. Wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom on portions for a gal like me, or had similar starting experiences.

Please excuse me if there's a post that fits my needs perfectly, I did look around a bit but this community is so wonderfully active it's a LOT to go through

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So, if you're looking to lose some fat, you should be monitoring calorie intake. Obviously, an energy deficit is needed to lose weight. Also, if you fear than you may be eating too little calorie tracking can come in handy here as well.

The first step is to find out your maintenance calories (you can find various calculators online), and reduce your intake slowly below your maintenance level. If you're worried about muscle mass, be sure to consume enough dietary protein to minimize the amount that the body breaks down muscle tissue to meet it's glucose/energy requirements. Lifting weights helps in this regard as well.

Hope this helps a bit.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog: