Thread: Adrenaline rushes and occassional shortness of breath

Adrenaline rushes and occassional shortness of breath

Shop Now
    Hello All, I have been experiencing some adrenaline rushes and occasional shortness of breath. I have been mostly primal for about 2 months....no grains, pretty low carb, the pain in my knees has literally gone away (I have had osteoarthritis of the knees for several years). Today the adrenaline rushes have been more frequent. I realize this is not a medical forum, but I was just wondering if anyone has had similar experiences when going primal (I was previously all about complex carbs and low fat). Prior to these symptoms, which I used to get sometimes back when I was smoking and using alcohol to excess several years ago, I have never felt better! Full of energy, getting more exercise than I have in years, losing some weight, motivated to get healthy......then I start getting these symptoms, when I feel like I am healthier than I have ever been! I am 56 yo, male, 6 ft, 185 lbs. down from 193, non-smoker, non-drinker. Anyone have any thoughts about this?
    Last edited by Barnyard; 06-30-2013 at 04:39 PM.
    The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 58, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 180
    GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

Try some simple sugar sources in your diet, fruit would be best. Sugar will help blunt adrenalin release and also help with shortness of breath.

What symptoms are you calling an "adrenalin rush"? Have you see a doctor? If you are talking about something like racing heart and shortness of breath, and you say this is accelerating, and this has not had medical review you really need to get to a doctor immediately. If the symptoms accelerate tonight go to the ER.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Try some simple sugar sources in your diet, fruit would be best. Sugar will help blunt adrenalin release and also help with shortness of breath.
    I had honeydew melon and an apple today....most of my sugar intake is fruit, I still eat too much fruit to get into ketosis, will have to cut down a lot if I truly want to try getting into ketosis....

M, 58, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 180
    GW - 165-170

Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    What symptoms are you calling an "adrenalin rush"? Have you see a doctor? If you are talking about something like racing heart and shortness of breath, and you say this is accelerating, and this has not had medical review you really need to get to a doctor immediately. If the symptoms accelerate tonight go to the ER.
    Thanks, Loafing, I don't think it's that bad...I wouldn't call it a racing heart...just had an EKG 2 weeks ago with no issues...and I just noticed a couple of very brief episodes of SOB in the last week....almost imperceptible.....I just walked 9 holes of golf and I feel strong as an ox! And I haven't had a single 'rush' since I posted this.....but believe me, if it gets worse, I will be going to doctor and/or emergency room.....one thing I am thinking is my caffeine intake has been going up lately, I will try cutting back and see what happens.....

M, 58, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 180
    GW - 165-170

Quote Originally Posted by Barnyard View Post
    Hello All, I have been experiencing some adrenaline rushes and occasional shortness of breath. I have been mostly primal for about 2 months....no grains, pretty low carb, the pain in my knees has literally gone away (I have had osteoarthritis of the knees for several years). Today the adrenaline rushes have been more frequent. I realize this is not a medical forum, but I was just wondering if anyone has had similar experiences when going primal (I was previously all about complex carbs and low fat). Prior to these symptoms, which I used to get sometimes back when I was smoking and using alcohol to excess several years ago, I have never felt better! Full of energy, getting more exercise than I have in years, losing some weight, motivated to get healthy......then I start getting these symptoms, when I feel like I am healthier than I have ever been! I am 56 yo, male, 6 ft, 185 lbs. down from 193, non-smoker, non-drinker. Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Yep! But I'm a 48 year old female. Different hormones... but for me I think it is hormone related. I used to frequently get that 'flight or fight' reaction out of nowhere and any shortness of breath was probably anxiety from the sudden surge of, well, anxiety. I was all over the place for a few years around my 40th birthday, and tried some homeopathy. I honestly cannot remember what they gave me... norepinephrine drops? After some hormone and neurotransmitter saliva testing. It was a few years ago. It helped a bit.

Right now, being 100% sugar free has normalized a lot of what I would describe as perimenopausal symptoms. Not sure that will help you much.

I had a full battery of tests run, including an EKG and stress test. Passed with flying colors. Bloodwork fine. Blood pressure naturally very, very low. Even wore a cardiac event monitor which never went off and cost me $1500 for nothing. Grrrr. I probably do have a PSVT (rapid heart rate due to extra cardiac tissue) since my heart rate can go to over 200bpm. Sometimes it would happen with the flight or fight response and most often not (rapid heart rate has been going on since my late teens without the rush). If you do get the rapid heart rate along with it, try sitting on the toilet and bearing down (might not need to sit).

Lots of information that probably does not help you. Basically, my situation predated going Primal. Again, though, sugar seems to be a trigger for me, and for the past 2 months I have been totally sugar free outside of some fruit sugar and 4 various days where I just HAD to have it.

I have cut out caffeine, too. Did that quite a few years ago. I think it helped, but wasn't the cure.

Good luck to you. It is so annoying!

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    Yep! But I'm a 48 year old female. Different hormones... but for me I think it is hormone related. I used to frequently get that 'flight or fight' reaction out of nowhere and any shortness of breath was probably anxiety from the sudden surge of, well, anxiety. I was all over the place for a few years around my 40th birthday, and tried some homeopathy. I honestly cannot remember what they gave me... norepinephrine drops? After some hormone and neurotransmitter saliva testing. It was a few years ago. It helped a bit.

Right now, being 100% sugar free has normalized a lot of what I would describe as perimenopausal symptoms. Not sure that will help you much.

I had a full battery of tests run, including an EKG and stress test. Passed with flying colors. Bloodwork fine. Blood pressure naturally very, very low. Even wore a cardiac event monitor which never went off and cost me $1500 for nothing. Grrrr. I probably do have a PSVT (rapid heart rate due to extra cardiac tissue) since my heart rate can go to over 200bpm. Sometimes it would happen with the flight or fight response and most often not (rapid heart rate has been going on since my late teens without the rush). If you do get the rapid heart rate along with it, try sitting on the toilet and bearing down (might not need to sit).

Lots of information that probably does not help you. Basically, my situation predated going Primal. Again, though, sugar seems to be a trigger for me, and for the past 2 months I have been totally sugar free outside of some fruit sugar and 4 various days where I just HAD to have it.

I have cut out caffeine, too. Did that quite a few years ago. I think it helped, but wasn't the cure.

Good luck to you. It is so annoying!
    Yes actually it does help, PHaselow! It further educates me, and there are some things in common, like caffeine, maybe I am drinking too much coffee, and I am now noticing that it seems to happen......after I eat!!! And recently, due to traveling and not being able to eat as primally as I want, I have had some bread and more sugar than I normally would eat. I think these things may be contributing, or even be causative. I had all that testing done also, including the Holter monitor, years ago, with no real resolution, because I was having pre-ventricular contractions (PVC's). Those just kind of went away. I figure there might be an anxiety component also, cause I have always had anxiety issues, but since I got sober 4 1/2 years ago, and with the help of a 12 step program, my physical anxiety symptoms have essentially disappeared (almost like a spiritual Xanax. So to have these symptoms suddenly kind of reappear has me a little concerned, especially since I feel like I am healthier than I have ever been! Thanks for the reply!

M, 58, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 180
    GW - 165-170