Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Doing the Dew page

MountainDew is offline Senior Member

Primal Journal - Doing the Dew

Shop Now
    Hello, Everyone:

I guess I'll just jump right in.

This is the heaviest I've ever been. I'm 35, 205 lbs, and not a tall guy (5'5"). Don't know how I got so big, stuff just kinda creeps up on you. I remember topping at 185 about 10 years ago and vowing never to get close to that again. Boy, I got close and then some.

I'd like to get to about 150-160 range. That's where I feel the most comfortable. I'm not sure if it'll work since by all my calculations my LBM is at about 150, so getting to a whole body weight of 150 will be impossible - we're talking a 0% bf - without sacrificing a lot of muscle.

Nevertheless I'm determined to change my life for the better. And so here I am, in week 2 of full PB commitment (OK, I had a cheat day - but just one). I don't think I'll be posting an update every single day - that seems time consuming - so I think I'll stick to once a week at around the same time. I'll update with monthly pics and stats to track my progress. And hopefully some of you will chime in and let me know what I can do to improve.

Again, here are my stats:

Male
    5'5"
    205 lbs
    150 LBM
    35 y.o.

I've been eating mostly eggs and bacon in the morning. I thought by the 3rd day or so I'd get tired of bacon but .. nope, it's damn tasty.

I'm having some problems finding predominantly fat sources of food. Looking at my FitDay I always seem to surpass my protein grams (I'm trying to stick to 125-150) and not getting enough fat grams (150).

What are some sources of fat for you guys?

For lunch I'll have some fish with romaine - in a sort of wrap - and drinking good amounts of water. For dinner I'll have some type of beef, pork, or chicken with veggies. I hope Mark's recipe book reaches me soon since I'm getting bored with eating basically the same foods!

Here are my pics (I hope I did this right!). This is embarrassing and humbling but I feel it's necessary for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yeah, I know I said I would only update once a week or so but...

I got the cookbook! NICE! Only peeve I have is that it doesn't have any breakdown of the fats/carbs/proteins. Maybe it's best that I don't obsess over that.

I'm still feeling a bit hungry after a meal. And I notice it's because I'm not getting enough fat, mainly just proteins. I'll be going to the market today to buy some avocados (not the Haas ones they upset my stomach for some reason so I'll be getting what we call here the "island" avocados - they're bigger). Start adding more evoo to my fruits, and maybe lay off the chicken - unless the skin is on it.

Time for my 2 week update...

I'm a little disappointed but I'm trying to look at the positive side of things. I came in at 202 at my last weigh-in (I weigh myself every Friday morning). So in the past 2 weeks since I last posted I've gone down only 3 lbs. Basically 1.5 lbs a week. Now, normally that's a good and safe amount of weight to lose per week but I've lost up to 2.5 a week on a CKD (Cyclical Keto Diet) so seeing only 1.5 lb weight loss per week is a little disappointing. I've been doing a "cheat day" so I'm not completely 100% primal. I'm thinking for the next 30 days I should go 100%? We'll see.

But obviously in my case weight loss is better than weight gain. I feel my legs a bit slimmer and my "I could be Jennifer Lopez's brother with this ass" feels smaller. One HUGE plus is that my back doesn't hurt anymore when I wake up in the mornings. I used to have a horrible time some mornings because my back would be killing me when I woke up. It's pretty much gone now. I'm not sure if it's the diet itself or just the lesser weight. A combination of both, most likely, and it's great.

I feel like I'm not eating enough as I'm always feeling hungry. I'm probably taking in more protein than fat (I'm still having problems getting adequate amounts of fat). My carbs I've been able to keep under control - less than 50g a day. It's the fat. The fat that I'm trying to get to 60% minimum that I'm having problems with. I tried coconut milk but I just couldn't finish the cup I had - coming from an island guy this is a bit embarrassing lol. The taste wasn't horrible, mind you, it's just - eh, hard to explain. I tried a bit of vanilla extract (like 1/4 teaspoon) and it was a bit better, but not by much. I'm having a hard time finding some "island avocados" (the bigger smooth skinned cousin to the Haas) but they're not easy finding around here. The Haas are OK for now - plus ridiculously inexpensive for the area at .77 cents - but I much prefer the larger ones and I need to get some ASAP!

Anyways, nothing much more to bring up so ... see ya in 2 weeks!
    PB Stats:
    Started 5/10/10
    Starting Weight: 215
    Current Weight (1/25/11): 180
    Goal Weight: 160

So I'm under the magical 200 lbs mark; 199 to be exact. I have a feeling I could have been about a lb lighter but the week of 6/14 was just not good food wise. There were a couple of days where I didn't have the time to cook breakfast at home so I opted for bacon, eggs, and cheese on a roll with a small OJ from the local deli. It still fell under the 80/20 but I was really looking to do 100% PB for the week. Also, on Friday 6/18 I caved big time and had hot roast beef with melted mozzarella on a garlic roll with fries on the side.

It was weird. It was delicious, don't get me wrong, but halfway through it I felt full (that was good since pre-PB I would have finished it easily) and yet at the same time I felt as if I *had* to finish it. So basically I forced myself to eat it all; not something I do with PB. I eat until I'm full and then I stop. I don't have a need to continue eating like I did on that Friday. I felt kind of guilty and disgusted afterward.

Any dandruff I had is completely gone and my nails are growing superquick, which is usually a sign of good nutrition. Those are the positives. And of course, getting under 199 lbs and on my way to my old self. I'm still losing 1 to 1.5 lbs per week which is way less than what I'm used to. Also, still shooting for 160 and no less as I have a lot more muscle mass than the average guy at my height and I want to maintain that muscle mass.

I've been thinking about the carb re-feed article that Mark had up on the blog and how a CKD essentially worked for me. I think if I tried it now, knowing what I do about good fats and good carbs, it would be more effective than ever before. We'll see, that's something down the line - way down the line - as I want to make sure I go Primal for a full 30 days at 100%.

Next week I'll start doing some body exercises a la SimpleFit (I actually found a JROTC field by the local HS and I'm pretty sure I can use that for pull-ups and climbing rope, etc.) and I'm sure my calorie consumption will have to go up.

See ya in 2.
    PB Stats:
    Started 5/10/10

onegoal is offline Junior Member

coconut milk

Have you tried Whole Food's 365 brand coconut milk? I think it is great, and it is cheap. It is smoother than the others I have tried. I eat mine 50-50 with greek yogurt for a treat. Or put it into a green smoothie. Or take a big spoonful of when I feel I need fat/calories. It's that good. Try it.

Quote Originally Posted by onegoal View Post
    Have you tried Whole Food's 365 brand coconut milk? I think it is great, and it is cheap. It is smoother than the others I have tried. I eat mine 50-50 with greek yogurt for a treat. Or put it into a green smoothie. Or take a big spoonful of when I feel I need fat/calories. It's that good. Try it.
    I've never stepped inside a WF, though there's one not too far from my home. If WF is anything like TJ's I might try it and give the coconut milk a shot. Thanks.
    PB Stats:
    Started 5/10/10

Evita is offline Senior Member
    Congrats on getting under 200!

dsantana is offline Senior Member
    Congrats on being under 200. I have been flirting with that number for a couple of weeks. You are giving me the motivation to really make a push.

Thanks guys. Yes, it's nice seeing progress. But it's kind of slow for me. Admittedly I haven't been doing much exercise so the weight loss is purely from diet changes. I'm just hoping I can get to 2 lb a week weight loss just because I'm not the most patient person; and if it's going really slow for me I'll just "fall off the wagon" and give it all up. ::shrug::
    PB Stats:
    Started 5/10/10

Pink Grokoddess is offline Senior Member
    LOL your journal entries went from once a week .. to not at all .. tee hee wheres the updated pictures? :P
    "If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place." Nora Roberts

Start December 20th 2010: 177 lbs
    Currant: 136 lbs
    Goal: 125 lbs
    11 more lbs to go

Follow My Journey :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast