Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ketosis page 3

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by janie View Post
    I might also mention that Stephen D. Phinney, M.D., PhD and Jeff Volek, PhD, RD, authors of "The Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance" work with and have studied world class athletes who remain in a state of ketosis indefinitely and experience performance enhancement.
    Competing without carbs or training low carbs is a very different beast. Whom are those "world class athletes" and what sport are they competing in?

janie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Competing without carbs or training low carbs is a very different beast. Whom are those "world class athletes" and what sport are they competing in?
    I believe that they work primarily with keto-adapted endurance athletes, especially cyclists. Their book also has a section with observations from high-performance coaches, sports nutritionists, university athletic coaches, etc. re: their positive use of keto-adaption in various sports. I'm sure you could find more online. BTW, these 2 researchers were also co-authors of the latest Atkins book and their research has focused on keto-adaption and its health benefits.
    Starting Weight: 197.5
    Current Weight: 123
    Lost 75# eating low carb (20-40 g) and then MDA primal low carb. Tried many other options but only LC helped me lose weight and improve health. Now at a good weight, I find my body can tolerate a few more carbs but rarely go over 100 g.

Are you an M.D., Gorbag?
    Lost 75# eating low carb (20-40 g) and then MDA primal low carb. Tried many other options but only LC helped me lose weight and improve health. Now at a good weight, I find my body can tolerate a few more carbs but rarely go over 100 g.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    I believe that they work primarily with keto-adapted endurance athletes, especially cyclists. Their book also has a section with observations from high-performance coaches, sports nutritionists, university athletic coaches, etc. re: their positive use of keto-adaption in various sports. I'm sure you could find more online. BTW, these 2 researchers were also co-authors of the latest Atkins book and their research has focused on keto-adaption and its health benefits.
    I can definitely see a value of getting adapted to performing in ketosis, and that it can give you an edge in endurance sports, since those events often ending up in lack of enough carbs anyway. But I don't think that any serious endurance athlete will compete without first filling up on hundreds of hundreds of grams of carbs the days before an important event and also get plenty of "refill" of fast acting carbs under the competition. Endurance athletes super-compensate carbs to max out their glycogen levels for a good reason, to avoid "the bonk!" - which is a very serious threat to every competing endurance athlete...

And no, I am not a MD either, why?

Apparently that is not the experience of the athletes they have studied. And the conclusion of these researchers is that while a high carb diet may arguably be best for short burst high intensity exercise, they see equal or better performance by ultra-endurance athletes at various levels of carb restriction.

I asked about the MD b/c I've wondered about your background. You always speak so authoritatively as though the "answer" is carved in stone. I'm not sure it is; perhaps it is evolving and there may be some value in new research and what these authors call a "tectonic shift in sports nutrition thinking".

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Apparently that is not the experience of the athletes they have studied. And the conclusion of these researchers is that while a high carb diet may arguably be best for short burst high intensity exercise, they see equal or better performance by ultra-endurance athletes at various levels of carb restriction.
    It would be great if you could link to the studies you are referring to.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    I can definitely see a value of getting adapted to performing in ketosis, and that it can give you an edge in endurance sports, since those events often ending up in lack of enough carbs anyway. But I don't think that any serious endurance athlete will compete without first filling up on hundreds of hundreds of grams of carbs the days before an important event and also get plenty of "refill" of fast acting carbs under the competition. Endurance athletes super-compensate carbs to max out their glycogen levels for a good reason, to avoid "the bonk!" - which is a very serious threat to every competing endurance athlete...

And no, I am not a MD either, why?
    Western States 100 – Low Carber Wins Ultramarathon – Steve Phinney and Jeff Volek Study | Me and My Diabetes

Very few carbs, running in ketosis, and not only won, but knocked 21 minutes off the course record ... in one of the most grueling 100-milers.

See also - Steve Phinney – Low-Carb preserves Glycogen better than High Carb | Me and My Diabetes

Thanks, Annlee. Sorry Jake -- I don't have links to post (ok, I'm technologically challenged, LOL) but the book I mentioned has pages of references.

Quote Originally Posted by Annlee View Post
    Western States 100 – Low Carber Wins Ultramarathon – Steve Phinney and Jeff Volek Study | Me and My Diabetes

Very few carbs, running in ketosis, and not only won, but knocked 21 minutes off the course record ... in one of the most grueling 100-milers.

See also - Steve Phinney – Low-Carb preserves Glycogen better than High Carb | Me and My Diabetes
    It's clear that low carb works well for some, but in most, I think that performance will suffer. Also, they don't provide any details about the diet of the ultramarathon winner other than that it was low carb, so I don't think we can make too many conclusions here.

Also, an interesting overview of the debate between Alan Aragon and Jeff Volek on the topic of low carb performance: 2013 NSCA Personal Trainers Conference: Looking Back at my Debate with Dr. Jeff Volek | Alan Aragon's Blog

Thanks, Annlee. Sorry Jake -- I don't have links to post (ok, I'm technologically challenged, LOL) but the book I mentioned has pages of references.
    Darn. It would be nice to see the research, but I'm not going to buy the book

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast