Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ketosis page 2

hclaus is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm a runner. I'm 5'8" and weigh 150. I'd like to be 130, but am nervous about having the energy to run without fruit at least. Additionally, I'm a nursing mom. Should I just not bother with ketosis and simply stick to eating primal?

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hclaus View Post
    I'm a runner. I'm 5'8" and weigh 150. I'd like to be 130, but am nervous about having the energy to run without fruit at least. Additionally, I'm a nursing mom. Should I just not bother with ketosis and simply stick to eating primal?
    You are not very overweight, so get some primal carbs to avoid that your body take amino acids from lean tissue to convert it into glucose for energy. The body can't get fat ready for energy fast enough when being relative lean as you are, so it makes glucose from muscle and internal organs instead...

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    Oh sorry. I was responding to you.
    The read his articles here and here.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hclaus View Post
    Stick to eating primal.

Don't make huge or fast dietary shifts when nursing. You don't want to change your hormonal balance until you are ready to wean. And chances are, you will drop any excess fat when you have stopped nursing.

Ketosis is fantastic for certain things, for sure. Read the links I posted earlier in the thread to educate yourself about it.

hclaus is offline Junior Member
    Thanks Dragonfly. I'm reading.

feren6 is offline Member
    You can be in ketosis as long as you want, as long as you feel fine and aren't suffering from any side effects. Some people say never, some people say all the time, some people say a couple weeks. Gotta figure out what works for you.

I went into Ketosis when I first started eating Primal because I eliminated so many of my carb sources. I wasn't trying to lose weight, but it was just easy to cut everything out.

The best part: Ketosis euphoria. Felt like my brain was high for a week straight. Then it disappeared, and as my body was craving more carbs, I started to eat more of them.

Now I eat around 50-150 per day and feel great.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    The read his articles here and here.
    Good stuff there. Also, Lyle McDonald has an excellent Q&A about Ketosis and Athletic Performance (specifically addressing cyclical ketogenic diets (CKD)). I think a CKD would be more effective for athletic performance due to some of the points Lyle McDonald makes about being able to refill muscle glycogen without being kicked out of ketosis.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

janie is offline Senior Member
    I might also mention that Stephen D. Phinney, M.D., PhD and Jeff Volek, PhD, RD, authors of "The Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance" work with and have studied world class athletes who remain in a state of ketosis indefinitely and experience performance enhancement.
    Starting Weight: 197.5
    Current Weight: 123
    Lost 75# eating low carb (20-40 g) and then MDA primal low carb. Tried many other options but only LC helped me lose weight and improve health. Now at a good weight, I find my body can tolerate a few more carbs but rarely go over 100 g.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Thanks, that's a great talk.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast