Thread: New study links wheat to weight gain and Diabetes page

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member

New study links wheat to weight gain and Diabetes

Shop Now
    New Study Links Wheat To Weight Gain and Diabetes | GreenMedInfo

Just one more study convincing me to stay away from wheat.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    While this is quite interesting, the study was done on diabetic mice, so I don't give it much weight. Just my opinion.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I would have thought that mice were *more* adapted to eating grass than us, not less?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Office of Science Education - Animals In Research - Amazing Facts - Mice and Humans Are Biologically Similar

Mice have 99% identical genes arranged in almost the same order on their chromosomes as humans. Mice have similar systems for digestion, circulation, metabolism, immune defense, and neurology. They can get heart disease, immune disorders, many cancers, diabetes, arthritis, obesity and even depression.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Did I say that mice aren't valuable research tools? No. Did I say that they can't be used to effectively study bodily processes? No. Should you use this study as a reason to convince you to not eat wheat? No.

Mice are great for generating hypotheses, but research on them is far from enough to come to conclusions about what reactions will occur in humans.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

fuzzynavel is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    Did I say that mice aren't valuable research tools? No. Did I say that they can't be used to effectively study bodily processes? No. Should you use this study as a reason to convince you to not eat wheat? No.

Mice are great for generating hypotheses, but research on them is far from enough to come to conclusions about what reactions will occur in humans.
    They are a good (proven) starting point to get the ball rolling on an initial theory on human reactions to stimulus whether dietary or drug induced..
    There are, however, cases where the mouse reactions do not mimic the human reaction exactly so studies should be taken with a pinch of salt until further investigation is done with large primates and eventually, humans.