Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Funny how offended people get when you tell em you dont eat wheat. page

Lockstock is offline Senior Member

Funny how offended people get when you tell em you dont eat wheat.

Primal Fuel
    Me and my GF are going on a no wheat phase (more like no grain) to see what happens. I'm probably more down for it then she is but W/E.

Anyhows, the other night we were having dinner with her family and we were checking if there was wheat in the sauces, and we weren't eating the gravy.
    Once the statement of "yeah where not eating wheat" came out, the family EXPLODED.

"WHAT? DONT BE SILLY! WHERE DID YOU HEAR THAT NONSENSE?!?!"

It's always the same pattern. People are so predictable. They say the exact same thing. They start of with questioning your reasoning, then ridiculing you for it, then trying to be a smart ass by pointing out every food your cant eat.

"WELL THAT MEANS YOU CANT EAT CEREAL. OR BREAD. OR COOKIES. DID YOU KNOW THAT???!?!?"

It's like people get offended when you tell them you don't eat the food they do because you think it's unhealthy. But if you said fat, or sugar, they don't bat an eye. Then you tell them why, and explain to them why wheat isn't good for the body. They either say that your information is wrong/crap/crazy- don't believe everything you hear. Or the usual "everything in moderation"
    Later on, my GF overheard them making jokes about the whole issue.

The best thing is when on T.V there is some paleo sorta diet vs a CW diet. The paleo person looks remarkably healthy, while the CW person is usually fat, bad skin, bad hair, bags under the eyes etc. But people wont listen. Sheep.

Ollie is offline Senior Member
    People are mad. Just accept it.

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    I guess grains must make people crabby. You'd think they'd be happy about you not eating grains since there will be more food for them. People are weird.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Some people seem to freak no matter what one does out of the norm. Lift heavy - oh you're going to end up looking like a man! Ride a bike to work every day - well that's very green of you. Walk a few miles every day - well you don't work full time, so you have the time. Don't eat breakfast in the morning - but breakfast is the most important meal of the day! Don't worry about fiber - aren't you constipated? Haven't used sunscreen in years - you'll get cancer!

I learned a long time ago that for the most part, people want to live in safe little bubbles and have someone (i.e. the government or "experts") tell them what is right and wrong. Even the smallest "transgression" of that lifestyle makes you at best an eccentric, or at worst someone who shakes them to their very foundations.

If you want to have a bit of fun with them, ask them if they know that the way the govt recommends we eat (plant and grain heavy) is the same way the govt recommends to feed livestock to fatten them up. Some people almost sputter.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

feren6 is offline Member
    I gave up trying to explain to people why it's healthier. I mean, if a vegan comes up to me and tries to tell me that it's healthier, I don't listen...so I understand that health is a very sensitive issue.

I just tell people I'm allergic now. Because I am. So I'm not lying, I'm not preaching Paleo, and I'm not pissing anyone off. People are free to make their own decisions and no one is going to call you an asshole for being allergic. Although I still get the "OMG YOU CANT EAT COOKIES?!?!?!" to which I respond "I know, but it's a good thing...keeps me rockin these 6-pack abs" (because come on, cookies ARE delicious).

Even if you don't have a gluten sensitivity/celiacs, just say you're cutting wheat out to test for allergies. Because that's essentially what you're doing.

Sol blackcat is offline Senior Member
    I've been getting this lately. " you're not allowed to eat this, oh dear?" and " you can't eat that? What a shame".
    Dear me, I can eat what I like when I like, I just choose not to.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, I don't quite get the need to caution people on paleo/crossfit. I get it a lot, and I'm like, I'm smaller than I was in junior high, no health issues, glowing skin, great energy and I bust through hard workouts 5 days a week. I think I'm doing fine without cupcakes, cookies, pasta and bread as a regular part of my diet. Because it's not like they are eating quinoa and whole grains.... they are usually commenting when you pass on pizza or cake.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

patski is offline Senior Member
    Maybe...

...don't talk about it?
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Don't eat breakfast in the morning - but breakfast is the most important meal of the day!
    LOL, I eat a HUGE breakfast- usually 3 eggs, bacon and veggies all scrambled up. That freaks people out. So while you need breakfast it should be oatmeal or sugar free yogurt, or cereal or a bagel.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Maybe...

...don't talk about it?
    Yeah, but I get a lot of questions on my weightloss now. So it is hard not to. People say "You look great", then literally bring up concern about the working out and diet. I get more crap for the workouts versus the diet.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast