Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Funny how offended people get when you tell em you dont eat wheat. page 6

secret agent girl is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Moral of the story: Don't explain yourself to people who choose not to respect your decisions.

Another tactic: smile sadly, look hurt, and say softly, "I would never point out your shortcomings..."

Quote Originally Posted by Lockstock View Post
    The best comeback I like to use when people lecture me on why I should eat grains is, Why should I?

People scoff at me for not eating them, saying there good for me. All I have to do is ask
    Me - "why are they good for me?"

Other - "uhh, because they are healthy whole grains!"

Me - "but why are they healthy?"

Other - "well you get vitamins from them"

Me - "which ones" ................If they actually know the answer to that question.

Basically, people bitch about why i SHOULD eat grains when they have NO IDEA why they even eat them.
    Yeah, Socratic questioning is a great way to refocus attention away from ragging on you. Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by Lockstock View Post
    Not talking about you, or the people on this board. But Americans seem like, in general, very weak minded people...It's happening here in Australia. Everyone man has a vagina. And women have two.
    Wow.

Really?

I can think of at least one person from Australia who's a real d!ckhead...

morphing into primal is offline Junior Member
    I've only had this happen once. I went to a large potluck type function with some friends of mine. There was a nice older lady there who had made a metric ton of spicy pasta salad and was trying to pawn it off on everyone. When I refused, she became upset and was like "Why aren't you eating any, young man?"

I was polite and said that "I am a diabetic and I watch my carb count to avoid having insulin issues." (I really am a diabetic, so it wasn't lying.) Not everyone can use that as an excuse or whatnot, but it worked for me.

thriveful is offline Senior Member
    I refuse to make excuses. If someone asks me, I tell them. If they want a discussion on the subject I generally wind them up with some science, they try to extricate themselves from the situation as rapidly as they can. I don't try to make them look foolish, but its not that hard lol. They usually tell me how they could NEVER give up bread etc, I then think "you poor weak soul", smile and go on my way

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I have an update for anybody who cares, not that anybody will remember the original story. I mentioned eating primal to some people at work and this one woman went off on a big diatribe about how lame paleo is, stupid cave man diet blah blah blah. She was on weight watchers to get ready for her wedding. She lost weight, but after the wedding, it's all back again. Couple months later, we're walking to my office one day and she's wheezing and struggling to keep up with me and telling me how she just can't live without bread. Couple months more she's in my office fixing my computer telling me she was diagnosed with Chrone's disease and her doctor said no more bread, no more this, no more that, basically paleo. I tried to offer her solace that maybe she would really feel better. Ever since then she's changed from this crazy drama queen lady everybody is afraid to be around to this happy, smiling lady with lovely skin. Score one for the paleo.
    I know a guy with IBS whose doctor suggested he give up gluten, because lots of people with IBS who give up gluten find their symptoms resolve. He made half an effort for a day or two and decided it was too hard. Now he's a vegan eating mostly wheat and taking drugs to deal with the symptoms of IBS.

Personally I think that "I don't eat it because it makes me sick" is a perfectly good reason to stop eating anything and everything. Anybody who questions such an excuse looks like a jerk.

quikky is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I went to Korean BBQ and was given a HUGE pile of meat, small dish of rice, lettuce and about 30 pickled vegetables. I don't recall seeing grains on the menu period nor was there any desserts.

It was so good.
    Oooh... I just ate and this made me hungry again. Barbecued meat and pickled things are what dreams are made of.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    My 15 yr old son went to a meeting for museum volunteers last week where refreshments were served when he came back I asked him how the meeting went and how the refreshments were, he said it was all gluten free! Almost all the attendees were over 60 yrs old and avoided gluten, so at least in some places things are changing. As a side note they were thrilled to have a young person at the meeting.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Primal Primate is offline Senior Member
    I find most people will question my eating choices and then start to lecture me about how we can't possible know what our ancestors ate and this is all nostalgic crap. I try to reason with them by pointing out choosing to eat veggies and meat without the introduced hormones and antibiotics is not nostalgic nor is it some cockeyed attempt to go back to eating like a caveman - its just good sound advice. When that doesn't work I tend to end the discussion by saying it works for me and I feel amazing when I eat this way and leave them to their SAD diet. I do notice at work that many carb consumers often bitch after lunch about being too full, bloated or tired and I never feel that way...hmmmmm perhaps there is something to this primal lifestyle???
    “There are only two options regarding commitment, You’re either in or your out. There’s no such thing as life in between.” – Anonymous

"Das Beste oder nichts" - Gottlieb Wilhelm Daimler

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast