Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wide toe box (like Merrell Barefoot) in skate shoe look? page

tlc
    tlc is offline Junior Member

Wide toe box (like Merrell Barefoot) in skate shoe look?

Shop Now
    SHORT VERSION:
    I'm looking for something that fits like the Merrell Barefoot shoes, but in a skate shoe style. Or any casual tennis shoe style, but the Merrell Barefoot running shoes are too loud.

LONG VERSION:
    I am not a runner. My first and only "barefoot" shoes are Merrell Barefoot Life Reach Gloves. I love them. I've worn them nearly every day for months. Really love the ways my toes can stretch out.

I'd love to find something that fit just like them, but more of a casual tennis shoe, ideally a skate shoe look. Merrell makes some Barefoot running shoes in loud colors. I'd try the running shoe style, but I can't get past the color selections. I'm looking for white or a subdued, light gray, green, or brown. There's also a Canvas version of the Life Reach Glove, but the gray is very dark.

While I like the ground feel and zero drop, what's suddenly critical is the wide toe box. Because today I wore my previous wore-them-every-day-for-over-a-year shoes, some Sketcher's skate-style shoes and they were crushing my feet near the base of the fifth metatarsal. I've never needed wide shoes in the past -- in fact I've been told I have a narrow heel. Did I spread my feet out by wearing roomy shoes?

I've seen old school Chuck's recommended for a skate look. But I assume that's for the minimal sole, not a wide toe box.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
    tlc
    Last edited by tlc; 07-01-2013 at 12:07 PM.

raikay is offline Member
    I need a wider toe box and I love my Chucks for when I can't wear my Vibrams. It wouldn't hurt to see if they'll work. Everything else crushes my pinky toe.
    Every moment of life does not have to be perfect to be of value --Winnie Dalley

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I have similar problems with wider feet (after wearing barefoot shoes for a few years) and I do pretty okay with Feiyue shoes. It's a Chinese martial artists shoe for about $20.

SuBee is offline Member
    I hear you on this! A lot of the casual shoes that are recommended to minimalist-seekers are recommended on the basis of having flat, flexible soles, but if you have a wider foot, they are still squishy in the toes. I can't wear Chucks, but I have a couple pair of Simple brand shoes that are pretty good. Not as good as my "real" minimalist shoes (Vibrams, Merrells, Softstar), but workable. Can't tell gender from your post, but if you've been wearing women's sizes, you might see what's available either in men's or kids' shoes, which both tend to be wider. You could check the New Balance minimalist shoes or Vivo Barefoot as well.

wiltondeportes Guest
    True wide toe boxes are just not going to look like skater shoes. That's all there is to it. You might check out Otzi shoes though. I love what I've gotten from them.

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    Vivobarefoot has a couple

Mens
    Aqua Lite Mens - Mens

Women's
    VIVOBAREFOOT | Lucy Lite Ladies |

You can get great deals on them from time to time at Left Lane Sports and the Clymb

I have a pair of grey Lucy Lite's and they look like skate shoes. Don't know if the above links portray that very well.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Huarache Gal View Post
    Vivobarefoot has a couple

Mens
    Aqua Lite Mens - Mens

Women's
    VIVOBAREFOOT | Lucy Lite Ladies |

You can get great deals on them from time to time at Left Lane Sports and the Clymb

I have a pair of grey Lucy Lite's and they look like skate shoes. Don't know if the above links portray that very well.
    Doesn't look very wide to me. It's kind of a compromise between having a narrow enough toe for fashion and a slightly wider toe than a Converse.

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    The vivo's are very wide in the toe box. Lems, are low profile looking. I also really like the Patagonia advocates.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by slowcooker View Post
    The vivo's are very wide in the toe box. Lems, are low profile looking. I also really like the Patagonia advocates.
    They're not wide compared to Vibram Five Fingers. Maybe they're slightly wider than Converses, but look at the toe box shape; it's not a natural shape for the foot.

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    The widest for me have been Lem's, not skater's but wide

Men

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast