Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frozen sardines page

Markbt is offline Senior Member

Frozen sardines

Primal Fuel
    At the Asian grocery store they sell packages of large, frozen sardines. The do not appear to have the guts removed. I was thinking they would be good grilled. They are about 9 or 10 inches long, heard and tails on. I assume I should gut them once they thaw. For fish this big and fresh would the bones be edible like the canned ones? How do people typically prepare these?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

peril is offline Senior Member
    Rig them with three or four ganged hooks and float down a trail of chum
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

peril is offline Senior Member
    Seriously, fillet, removing the guts, and fry gently in butter
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    They also had other smaller whole fish there, maybe something like that would work better. I guess you would need to remove the guts no matter how small it is. It would be nice if the store did that for you. Can't complain for $3 though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

mike is offline Senior Member
    Here in Spain I buy them fresh and grill them whole. the fish monger recommended I grill them that way because the head and guts have fat which helps keep them from drying out on the grill. Never had them frozen before though.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    If you want to see some yummy looking pics, google "deep fried sardines," and click on the photo gallery that comes up. Those with a glass of red wine at sunset - a one-meal vacation.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Grafvitnir is offline Member
    Yes you have to gut/scale them and no, the bones are hard... I wondered that until I tried. The good thing is the fless peels away from them after cooking and you are left with a complete skeleton like in the old cartoons where you see alley cats fighting over a sardine skeleton

This video help me clean them easier:

Passionate About Fish - How to prepare Sardines - YouTube

Other method that includes how to cook:

How To Fillet And Clean ,Sardines.And Cook Them.CORNISH SARDINES/PILCHARDS. - YouTube

Hope it helps.

Rubén

ilovesteak is offline Senior Member
    When I was on vacation in Portugal they grilled them whole, guts removed but head and tail intact. You eat the flesh and pick out the bones. Very delicious and moist fish.

mike is offline Senior Member

ilovesteak is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    Yes, but it was at an outdoor restaurant and not on the beach. That looks fun though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast