Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Messed up with long term VLCing = Hello Matt Stone! page 5

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by spk View Post
    -join me in VLC & low protein has 600+ comments
    I'm really struggling to understand why people think this is beneficial on any level.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    The fact that there are some who push the idea that carbs are the root of all evil often drives the obsessive restriction. The fact that people are misinformed is no just the person's fault, but the people who spread the BS are at fault as well. The blame should be distributed both ways.
    But nor are they the answer to all problems in life, as those carb proponents who claim to be persecuted for their beliefs want us to think. Hardly anybody does well on a very low fat diet. But I have been told to do a very low fat diet repeatedly by carb proponents.

I'm really struggling to understand why people think this is beneficial on any level.
    Because it works for some people all of the time and some people some of the time. Because some people like to try out the n=1. Are you proposing nobody ever test out to see if something works for them? The problem seems to be not people who give things an honest try, but people who get their information from a single source, close their minds to all information to the contrary, and then keep restricting themselves even more when it doesn't work until their health fails.

That's an eating disorder.

The idea that 150g a day of carbs is far too low for everybody is silly.

But you didn't read the thread, so you don't really know what it's about. I can give you a summary. A guy is posting on his experiences. Nobody is trying to pressure other people into trying that out. It's not an army of ketonazis plotting to convert others to zero carb.
    Last edited by eKatherine; 06-30-2013 at 10:52 AM.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    But nor are they the answer to all problems in life, as those carb proponents who claim to be persecuted for their beliefs want us to think. Hardly anybody does well on a very low fat diet. But I have been told to do a very low fat diet repeatedly by carb proponents.
    That's an exaggeration. You are talking about Choco's advice to simply lower isolated fat sources. He never suggested a "very low fat" diet to anyone. Total lie.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    That's an exaggeration. You are talking about Choco's advice to simply lower isolated fat sources. He never suggested a "very low fat" diet to anyone. Total lie.
    Yes, he has. I suppose though that would depend on your definition of "very low fat diet". Since despite established definitions there seem to be people here thinking that 150g a day of carbs is "very low carb", my guess is that your definition of "very low fat" is as personal as mine.

But I'll summarize for you. Choco has recommended that because I can't afford to double or triple my food bill by buying organic/pastured/grassfed meat, I should buy the leanest meat I can get and trim all fat. Then add no fat in cooking to any of my food.

You tell me how that is not "very low fat".
    Last edited by eKatherine; 06-30-2013 at 10:54 AM.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    This is the Internet man, every one is just pushing their opinion (you even said so in another thread), hell even a published book is just an opinion (eg TPB). If one becomes obsessed with an aspect of their lives because they read or believed another's opinion it is entirely their own fault.
    However If they where damaged because they followed a government sanctioned food pyramid then that's another story.

Sent from my iPhone
    It's no different. Government or internet guru, any kind of perceived authority on a subject has the same potential benefits or consequences if you do not remain objective. The same people who work in government offices are the same ones who come home and post opinions on Internet forums. It is not anymore risky to take dietary advice from an Internet blogger than it is from government guidelines.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    "Are you proposing nobody ever test out to see if something works for them?"

funny. I would have used the exact same phrase to describe the OP and his/her story. I don't think they went more than 7 months on their initial try. And here they are saying it didn't work for them and they're bouncing around trying to find the balance.

So PABS -- I would suggest you not rely solely or regularly on pizza or chili for your carbs but learn to love more of other carbs in the healthy versions, i.e. those mentioned in Primal Blueprint or other books mentioned here. You may find that with a 2nd, 3rd reading of the text, new details will stand out for you that didn't make an impression on the first read.

When you first hit the ground running, it takes a bit to fully comprehend beyond "hey, I get to eat more fats in this group and check out the health of the meats I'm eating and enjoy this variety of veggies but avoid these sugary ones". Now you have the opportunity to fine-tune. I suspect you'll learn to incorporate a "rolling" or occasional VLC further down the line, when it feels healthy or right for you.

I agree. There are certainly problems on both ends of the spectrum, I never said anything that denies this.

Because it works for some people all of the time and some people some of the time. Because some people like to try out the n=1. Are you proposing nobody ever test out to see if something works for them?
    You're always trying to put words in my mouth. The last sentence is nonsense, I never said anything that resembles it. I just cannot see how anyone would get benefits from a low protein, low carb diet.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Read Peter Attia's blog for some excellent reasons.

Again, vlc/ketosis is definitely not for everyone, but for some of us (including me) ketosis rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Read Peter Attia's blog for some excellent reasons.

Again, vlc/ketosis is definitely not for everyone, but for some of us (including me) ketosis rocks!
    I'm looking more so at the low protein, not so much low carb.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast