Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Messed up with long term VLCing = Hello Matt Stone! page 3

Zach is offline Banned
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    Let's just be realistic here: there are a portion of Paleo followers/"experts" that are extremely restrictive and dogmatic in their approach (not saying anyone in specific, but it's clear). So, while there needs to be personal accountability, as with anything, some of the blame needs to go towards the dogmatic and overly restrictive approaches of some of the Paleo advocates. It is what it is.
    Kinda like how Jimmy Moore is probably putting people in the hospital with his dietary reccomendations. Naivety on his followers part or borderline criminal negligence of a dietary wackjob?

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Kinda like how Jimmy Moore is probably putting people in the hospital with his dietary reccomendations. Naivety on his followers part or borderline criminal negligence of a dietary wackjob?
    Lol good ol' Jimmy. The guy is a freakin' nut.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pabs View Post
    Now I'm sure many of you folk are or have been on similar trajectories to that of mine. I would like to hear your stories, where they've led you and how they've changed you.
    I like to use this chance to thank ChocoTaco369.
    Without his posts I would have started a thread exactly like yours.
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

shousan is offline Junior Member
    Same here, I would also like to thank ChocoTaco369 and Derpamix. Opened my eyes to carbs when VLC wasn't working out for me

redcard is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    I'm a PHD fanboy partly for this reason. It's enough of a major departure from SAD to produce results but keeps its roots in real cuisine and a general "don't be weird" guideline.
    Thanks for the link. The paleo variant I'm following / intending to follow is almost exactly PHD

sauerKraut is offline Member
    Oh, the good old "Primal is not lowcarb" argument.

When I read the Primal Blueprint, there was no mention of safe starches.. rice, potatoes, etc were still considered evil. You had a free pass on nuts, and basically the only fruit you were adivsed to eat were berries and other low-sugar ones... how that does not qualify as low-carb for some, is beyond me.

There has been some improvement from 2010 till now. Some carbs will not kill you right away, so we'll just call them "safe"...but you see, once you have demonized carbs and created enough fear, it is very easy for people to drop them alltogether and go very low carb.

EDIT: the fact that there's still a lot of confusion going on with "fructose" does not help either
    Last edited by sauerKraut; 06-30-2013 at 03:12 AM.

Nstocks is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Time to man up and take responsibility. Nobody pointed a gun at your head and forced you to create and eat a diet far more extreme than Atkins induction. This persecution complex is unconvincing. The finger-pointing is just stupid.

At least women working to recover from eating disorders accept that they played a role in their issues. They don't blame imaginary boogeymen.
    It's the same story for America, the world most obese population. The context of their eating habits isn't from a few local McDonals, but an virus of junk food that is too easy for people to ignore. Sure people choose what to eat, but do you think it's instinctive to restrict your food intake when there such an abundance? Lets face it, how many real-world people actually face upto their health problems and take responsibility? Numbers of diet related deaths are on the rise, not fall, so the statement about women working to recover is a tiny amount. (But good for those who actually realise that they can change!)

Hit every paleo blog (or book) and you'll never see anyone saying to eat more than 150g carbs. Oh I'm sorry, unless you are working out 2 hours every single day, in which case a sweet potato every now and then is great! ("Safe" starch to put more fear into everyone, by the way, like a pound carrots are going to kill you)

EVERYONE in the paleoshphere blames carbs for the majority of health issues. I know because I've had a lot of health issues and when personally writing to Paleo bloggers, they've told me to go VLC to "fight the baddies" and clear up my issues. You can't be so naive to not realise that Paleo IS low carb or restricting food, not more. (for whatever reasons, right or wrong. It's a fact like Weight watchers is always going to sell you junk food and market it as "healthy".)

patski is offline Senior Member
    Howdy pabs

A lot of people will tell you you didn't "PALEO HARD ENOUGH". But that's BS and a way for folks to maintain some sick superiority complex.

Good on you for dropping an eating system that no longer worked. I'm a big Matt Stone fan and his advise has helped me tremendously.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Zach is offline Banned
    This thread makes me happy.

Btw Matt Stone helped me out big time when i was at my worst. Im glad that hes getting more recognition from the primal world.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    This thread makes me happy.

Btw Matt Stone helped me out big time when i was at my worst. Im glad that hes getting more recognition from the primal world.
    I must be living under a rock, but I've never heard of him?! Will definitely look into his stuff now that I see the positive recommendations.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast