Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Messed up with long term VLCing = Hello Matt Stone! page 2

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hey, ya know if you actually read and follow this thing.... ah shit.... what was the name of that book..... OH YEAH.... "The Primal Blueprint", I think Mark something or other wrote it. Anyhow yeah he seems to give some good advice about refeeds and carb loads in relation to activity and stuff. I think it even says somewhere that under 50g of carbs a day is good for "short term" usage. Anyhow, ya give that book a try if your interested!

Of course if your going to do VLC for extended periods I would actually recommend other books so that you get the most out of VLC and avoid some pitfalls. Usually easy little tweaks, but if you don't have the info your just making things more difficult than they have to be.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-29-2013 at 04:26 PM.

Zach is offline Banned
    Welcome to the darkside!

Nstocks is offline Senior Member
    I've realised that most of my issues that you are experiencing too, are from perhaps going to the "extreme" of "Paleo".

I have poor digestion, freezing feet, very tired, constipated, poor sleep, mild acne, dark circles and I had about half of these issues before Paleo, so it's fair to say that it wasn't working for me.

I've been looking at Stone's "Eat for Heat" and I think this will help raise my metabolism and thyroid levels. It makes sense because I've been "healthy" for over 2 years and I'm definitely not healthy. Stone's approach in fact 180 degree and maybe this is the only way to regain health.

All the best with your new journey to health.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Don't blame paleo or primal blueprint. Blame your tendency to go to extremes. You thought, wow, this is working so you thought if a little is good more must be better. More low carb. More fasting. You practically weren't eating at all. So you have now gone the other way. If a little carbs and relaxed eating are good, more must be better. Why not just try moderate carbs, moderate carb cycling, and healthy paleo/primal foods from all sources and see what happens.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Don't blame paleo or primal blueprint. Blame your tendency to go to extremes. You thought, wow, this is working so you thought if a little is good more must be better. More low carb. More fasting. You practically weren't eating at all. So you have now gone the other way. If a little carbs and relaxed eating are good, more must be better. Why not just try moderate carbs, moderate carb cycling, and healthy paleo/primal foods from all sources and see what happens.
    Because no one in the paleosphere pushes moderate carb cycling, moderate carbs, etc. Until Nov of last year, this place was ketonazi patrolled and controlled. All the biggest names in paleo up until 1-2 years ago at best have been strict about low carb and "primal approved carbs" potatoes and rice being the devil.

Sure, things have lightened up this last year so its much easier to blame the individual. Most though found Paleo a few years back when low carb was still in full swing, they fell in love and couldnt let go of their dietary dogma. Either that or they didnt get the memo.

max219 is offline Senior Member
    Pabs, i also was low carb for about half a year, but also a long distance runner for a long time too. At one point I went on a semi starvation diet for a few months as well. This all happened about three years ago . Since stopping competitive running two months ago I have been reading matt stone and eating and overeating to raise my metabolism. I have gained some fat but my energy and body temperature went up as well. I am also training for strength now.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    I'm a PHD fanboy partly for this reason. It's enough of a major departure from SAD to produce results but keeps its roots in real cuisine and a general "don't be weird" guideline.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Because no one in the paleosphere pushes moderate carb cycling, moderate carbs, etc. Until Nov of last year, this place was ketonazi patrolled and controlled. All the biggest names in paleo up until 1-2 years ago at best have been strict about low carb and "primal approved carbs" potatoes and rice being the devil.

Sure, things have lightened up this last year so its much easier to blame the individual. Most though found Paleo a few years back when low carb was still in full swing, they fell in love and couldnt let go of their dietary dogma. Either that or they didnt get the memo.
    Time to man up and take responsibility. Nobody pointed a gun at your head and forced you to create and eat a diet far more extreme than Atkins induction. This persecution complex is unconvincing. The finger-pointing is just stupid.

At least women working to recover from eating disorders accept that they played a role in their issues. They don't blame imaginary boogeymen.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Time to man up and take responsibility. Nobody pointed a gun at your head and forced you to create and eat a diet far more extreme than Atkins induction. This persecution complex is unconvincing. The finger-pointing is just stupid.

At least women working to recover from eating disorders accept that they played a role in their issues. They don't blame imaginary boogeymen.
    Yea, imaginary. If i cared to take the time i could find hundreds of articles written by many prominant bloggers full of false and misleading information completely designed to pray on the fears of sick and overweight people searching for the answer to their hell. Also most the bloggers were/are completely incompetent to give out diet advice in the first place and aome even fell for their own bullshit advice.

And thats exactly what happens, people are thoroughly convinced that they have found the answer, all the "science" makes sense and because of some immediate positive feedback (usually water weight loss and energy from stress hormones), they now have proof that they indeed found the answer. So of course they want to take it further and feel better, so they read more and try more advice from their chosen messiah(s). Pretty soon they are completely destroyed physically, hormonally and metally and they have no clue how it happend. Then they look for advice and get geniuses who tell them to eat more fat or try a water fast.

Its happened hundreds if not thousands of times on these forums alone, im sure you have been responsible for a portion of that great advice.
    Last edited by Zach; 06-29-2013 at 08:29 PM.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Let's just be realistic here: there are a portion of Paleo followers/"experts" that are extremely restrictive and dogmatic in their approach (not saying anyone in specific, but it's clear). So, while there needs to be personal accountability, as with anything, some of the blame needs to go towards the dogmatic and overly restrictive approaches of some of the Paleo advocates. It is what it is.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast