Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is a carb refeed every 2-3 days too much? page 2

Mikee5 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by iconoclast79 View Post
    Whole wheat pasta, um, what??
    That nasty, nutty tasting stuff that is suppose to be healthy and full of nutritious, essential fibre mmmm...

I think it's called 'whole grain' pasta in the US.

Ollie is offline Senior Member
    You could just eat a balanced diet. People make me laugh when the only two directions they go us carbs or fats. They forget having complete meals and just watching your calories.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
    You could just eat a balanced diet. People make me laugh when the only two directions they go us carbs or fats. They forget having complete meals and just watching your calories.
    I agree. There's no real point to a refeed if you're doing it every few days. That's not enough time for your body to go into ketosis if you're doing low carb for the other days in the first place so would render your refeed kinda...unnecessary. Why not just have carbs whenever.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

feren6 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    I agree. There's no real point to a refeed if you're doing it every few days. That's not enough time for your body to go into ketosis if you're doing low carb for the other days in the first place so would render your refeed kinda...unnecessary. Why not just have carbs whenever.
    From a bodybuilding perspective it makes a lot of sense. You fill your muscles with glycogen after a heavy workout when they need them, and you burn off the excess fat from that caloric surplus on the rest days. You don't need to go into ketosis.

OP, it is about finding your perfect formula. What do you feel the best on? I feel like crap when I try to eat 300g+ of carbs, so I just don't go there often. If you're similar, you could do a refeed on your heaviest workout day and it'd be fine. It's all about long-term compliance.

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    @Misabi

I work in a hospital setting, so it is easy to get it done about as accurately as it can be, which is always approximate. I have taken pictures of what I look like in different areas as various percentages, so I use these as rough guides.

For me, at 10% I get very vascular on the arms.
    8% (now)= vascularity in the arms, legs, anterior deltoid, and I can barely see veins around my hips
    6% (hit only twice ever for extended time) = many veins in the lower abdomen, everywhere else. Getting here I will feel lethargic more than I like. My leptin is slowing me way down at that point.

If there are easier ways, I have yet to learn them

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    @Misabi

I work in a hospital setting, so it is easy to get it done about as accurately as it can be, which is always approximate. I have taken pictures of what I look like in different areas as various percentages, so I use these as rough guides.

For me, at 10% I get very vascular on the arms.
    8% (now)= vascularity in the arms, legs, anterior deltoid, and I can barely see veins around my hips
    6% (hit only twice ever for extended time) = many veins in the lower abdomen, everywhere else. Getting here I will feel lethargic more than I like. My leptin is slowing me way down at that point.

If there are easier ways, I have yet to learn them
    Thanks.
    So you were around 8% in the pic you posted in the thigh gap thread the other day? Or was that at a higher bf%?

It'd be interesting to see your pics at different %'s, I think a lot of us have trouble picturing what x% bf looks like. I don't have easy access to any kind of affordable/convenient measurement, so rely on a combination of visual estimation/comparison and online calculation from tape measurements of various body parts. This normally puts me somewhere between 10% - 14%.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    Yes. That is about 8% for me. I don't have any desire to push it lower than that...it will suck to do it and this is fine.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    I've kind of naturally fallen into a 2-3 day refeed cycle. I don't track anything, but I seem to do really well and stay really lean by eating pretty low carb for 2-3 days (under 40g or so), and then eating a couple of sweet potatoes, bananas and more veggies than usual one day, usually on a heavy lifting day. I can usually tell it's time to refeed based on how my workout feels; if I'm kind of struggling pushing out those last couple of reps then it's usually time to refeed. Works for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12