Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No period in the last 6 months page

Jst
    Jst is offline Junior Member

No period in the last 6 months

Primal Fuel
    Hi,

my girlfriend and I are trying to follow paleo principles for a few years now with occasional slips and pauses. Her problem has since her puberty been weight. She wants to be thin and sexy and I try to explain her she's curvy and sexy and that I like that. Man, the media can really ruin one's self confidence, though one rarely admits that.

At the end of last year she tried to really minimize carbs and so she managed to lose quite a bit of her weight (went from 70+ Kg ~ 154 lbs down to 57 Kg ~ 128 lbs). In january she had her last period and haven't had one since than. I tried to convince her to eat more carbs but now she's so used to low carb she only manages to eat 1 or 2 pieces of fruit per day and some chocolate here and there. Or even some sweet stuff from bakery and icecream in the evenings once a month on average when she can't really control her will. Probably something to do with her whacked hormones I guess. It's hard for her to understand all this I think because she's reading all those success stories and fully believes this lifestyle is the right one to look up to. I've always been a bit of a skeptic myself but at the moment I too believe paleo is OK - BUT you have to adjust it according to YOUR body because obviously we're not made the same. I eat a lot more and also in the evenings and I'm quite fit, she can't afford to really eat in the evenings. For example.

She went to her gynecologist and everything seem to be ok down there except she has very dry vagina (needles to say sex is too painful at this point to even consider it, even if there was "a need"). Also her inner tube or something is very small and I remember hitting something back in the day when we would still do it. Before that, even before paleo, in the beginning of our relationship she was very wet when needed and also had very heavy and painful periods. The gynecologist just shrugged her shoulders and suggested checking some three thyroid hormones but that seems to be fine too. It's hard to convince her (women!? ) to eat more carbs. One apple and one banana for example is enough for her for the whole day, the rest is mostly meat, vegetables and salads.

What do you suggest?

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    It's not specifically carbs. It's a combination of not enough calories and not enough fat.

Get her to eat more fat. Researchers studying female athletes with amennorhea say that eating only a couple more egg yolks each day can be the difference between getting periods back or not.

Jst
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    It's not specifically carbs. It's a combination of not enough calories and not enough fat.

Get her to eat more fat. Researchers studying female athletes with amennorhea say that eating only a couple more egg yolks each day can be the difference between getting periods back or not.
    I remember I read this once! Does it matter what kind of fat it is? We use coconut oil almost exclusively for primal treats and olive oil for cooking meat and vegetables.

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Do you not eat eggs for some reason? I suggest adding a couple of eggs a day to her diet. Egg yolks are very nourishing.

Jst
    We eat eggs as omelettes sometimes (we used to almost every morning) and include it in primal variants of pancakes or cookies.

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    Try to go back to more breakfast omelettes without actually telling her you are trying to get her carbs up. Yes, it's sneaky but this type of symptom also means her bones are being affected - osteoporosis is the next result of long term period pauses. It is vital she gets a bit more balanced in her diet before permanent damage is done. Good for you for being concerned.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

erin_noel is offline Junior Member
    From what I understand, losing a period (secondary amenorrhea) is due to nutrition deficiencies (including insufficient caloric intake), low levels of body fat, and/or excessive exercise (assuming it is diet/fitness related). I also lost my period about 2.5 years ago, and I haven't gotten it back, but mine is likely due to low body fat. Even after maintaining a diet of 2000+ calories with at least 30% fat for a few months, nothing has happened. I've lost my period in the past and it didn't return until I'd gained fat.

Tell her to up her calories. Eat more. Carbs, fat, protein, whatever. Find a better gynecologist. And if it doesn't come back within a few months, she probably needs to regain some of the weight she lost.
    "Humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them" -
    Albus Dumbledore

erin_noel is offline Junior Member
    Also, just wanted to add that it is very possible to be primal and have anorexia. Check out the symptoms on the National Eating Disorders Association website and see if she displays any of them. If so, she really should meet with a therapist/psychologist/psychiatrist.
    "Humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them" -
    Albus Dumbledore

umm7 is offline Senior Member
    Thyroid (hypothyroid) can cause that.

Jst
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog6 View Post
    Try to go back to more breakfast omelettes without actually telling her you are trying to get her carbs up. Yes, it's sneaky but this type of symptom also means her bones are being affected - osteoporosis is the next result of long term period pauses. It is vital she gets a bit more balanced in her diet before permanent damage is done. Good for you for being concerned.
    Osteoporosis at 28?? I will probably show her this thread, because sometimes it's easier/better for her to hear advice from others as well.

Quote Originally Posted by erin_noel View Post
    From what I understand, losing a period (secondary amenorrhea) is due to nutrition deficiencies (including insufficient caloric intake), low levels of body fat, and/or excessive exercise (assuming it is diet/fitness related). I also lost my period about 2.5 years ago, and I haven't gotten it back, but mine is likely due to low body fat. Even after maintaining a diet of 2000+ calories with at least 30% fat for a few months, nothing has happened. I've lost my period in the past and it didn't return until I'd gained fat.

Tell her to up her calories. Eat more. Carbs, fat, protein, whatever. Find a better gynecologist. And if it doesn't come back within a few months, she probably needs to regain some of the weight she lost.
    I don't get it - have you got your period back or not, do you have it now? I forgot to mention her weight, I guess it's around 170 cms ~ 5.6 feet. She doesn't have low body fat, she's not exercising too much and I actually think she eats enough. Sometimes she skips breakfast and dinner but I don't think she's really hungry all the time. I don't know, maybe her body really needs more but she's afraid she's gonna gain again. Up and down all year round. Convince a woman it's better to be overweight than to have amenorrhea...

Quote Originally Posted by erin_noel View Post
    Also, just wanted to add that it is very possible to be primal and have anorexia. Check out the symptoms on the National Eating Disorders Association website and see if she displays any of them. If so, she really should meet with a therapist/psychologist/psychiatrist.
    No sign of anorexia here, she like to eat (she just has to watch what and when), weighs enough and is not skinny.

Quote Originally Posted by umm7 View Post
    Thyroid (hypothyroid) can cause that.
    Already tested, thyroid seem OK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast